GrizzlyMan

Where is Our Liquidity?

15 hours ago, Captain_Marbles said:

Not all - invite those with some kind of ethical and moral foundation.  Build something to be proud of.

Yer cos everyone already in crypto is ethical and moral.

You cant keep out those types mate, between ponzis, pyramids, pump and dump and generic money grabs, they already dominate this space.

5 hours ago, Flintstone said:

Just want to point out that I was referring to myself learning something new regarding the philosophes and was saying cheers for suggesting I look it up 

Diolch :JC_doubleup:

You are very kind for going out of your way to let me know that. Have an awesome day there.:beach: my friend.

12 hours ago, Atomic1221 said:

He did refute it in terms of this discussion. 

xRapid was heralded by Ripple as the only solution that uniquely uses XRP. And it turned out, that it can use any crypto. 
While currently it may utilize only XRP, what will prevent other clients like SBI to prefer more liquid crypto? 

But what does my lot know, anyways. 

11 hours ago, HenrySeldom said:

You were utterly refuted

What is the difference between settlement in BCH and remittance in XRP then? The whole point of XRP was its ability to settle 

16 minutes ago, Graine said:

What is the difference between settlement in BCH and remittance in XRP then? The whole point of XRP was its ability to settle 

yeah, but settle in any fiat or cryptocurrency with "instant" conversion

12 minutes ago, Graine said:

xRapid was heralded by Ripple as the only solution that uniquely uses XRP. And it turned out, that it can use any crypto. 
While currently it may utilize only XRP, what will prevent other clients like SBI to prefer more liquid crypto? 

But what does my lot know, anyways. 

xRapid was likely modified in beta in order to test ILP. Or this was done in at the request of someone internally as a PoC.

ILP is a generic, non-enterprise form of xRapid anyway. And it will use multiple currencies as well. 

Tbh, I really don’t see the big deal. Lowest fees and transaction times will rule the future anyway.

25 minutes ago, Graine said:

I think SBI is trying to kill two birds with one stone. Remittance in XRP for cross border and then settlement to occur in BCH in domestic channels. If that's the case, obviously we will not get the full extent of a price appreciation we may have wished as XRP is strictly cornered into international transactions only. In fact, no one has to have a pool of XRP anymore, just hold BCH that can be transferred into XRP at the time of international transfer. 

13 minutes ago, Atomic1221 said:

Tbh, I really don’t see the big deal. Lowest fees and transaction times will rule the future anyway.

xRapid goes live and supports other digital assets.  Lightning Network takes BTC down to virtually the same fee as XRP.  BTC has much higher liquidity and therefore xRapid payments route through BTC, not XRP.  To me, it's a big deal that xRapid is open to other assets.  It has the potential to take demand/use away from XRP.  

That said, I do trust the team.  Ripple is heavily incentivized to drive demand for XRP so I don't see them doing something that would drastically affect that in the long run. 

Hence the concern that we develop liquidity now.  If BTC has 10x the liquidity and xRapid ends up supporting it, xRapid could be the best thing that ever happened to BTC, not xrp.  Same goes for ILP.

1 minute ago, GrizzlyMan said:

xRapid goes live and supports other digital assets.  Lightning Network takes BTC down to virtually the same fee as XRP.  BTC has much higher liquidity and therefore xRapid payments route through BTC, not XRP.  To me, it's a big deal that xRapid is open to other assets.  It has the potential to take demand/use away from XRP.  

That said, I do trust the team.  Ripple is heavily incentivized to drive demand for XRP so I don't see them doing something that would drastically affect that in the long run. 

Nope, afaik LN is not on chain, it doesn't offer any alternative unless the parties want to be completely vulnerable and taken advantage of (selecting conversion rates, tx ordering etc) in their x border transactions.

ed1, could you dumb that down for me and explain further?  I'm not an expert on the tech.

In Stefan Thomas' Google talk about ILP, he said it would support LN.  How does that fit into the equation?

1 hour ago, GrizzlyMan said:

Hence the concern that we develop liquidity now.  If BTC has 10x the liquidity and xRapid ends up supporting it, xRapid could be the best thing that ever happened to BTC, not xrp.  Same goes for ILP.

No, I don't believe that's how it's going to work. If you read between the lines on some of David Schwartz's tweets lately, it sounds like Ripple's solutions are positioned to eliminate network effects (i.e., a one-size-fits-all solution), allowing XRP to thrive in its use case. Admittedly, he was talking about Codius there, but I think the philosophy tracks across Ripple's overall strategy. 

Edited by HenrySeldom

2 hours ago, Graine said:

1 hour ago, ed1 said:

I think SBI is trying to kill two birds with one stone. Remittance in XRP for cross border and then settlement to occur in BCH in domestic channels. If that's the case, obviously we will not get the full extent of a price appreciation we may have wished as XRP is strictly cornered into international transactions only. In fact, no one has to have a pool of XRP anymore, just hold BCH that can be transferred into XRP at the time of international transfer. 

Honestly, I'm not even sure we can trust this reporting or the translation here. Why would BCH be used for settlement? From what I understand, BCH takes about 10 minutes to settle, so using it for settlement makes literally no sense. 

On 5/3/2018 at 10:24 AM, Captain_Marbles said:

Outfits like hedge funds and the horrific Goldman Sachs look only to exploit (they will sanctimoniously tell you they provide liquidity).  Best to keep these

barbarians from the gates. Unless you don't mind selling your soul.

I'm in crypto for the money and don't accept the idea of an afterlife, so bring them on.