Let_her_Ripple

A Snoop Dogg Discussion

Hi all,

Slight vent coming on here…

I feel that something may have been missed in the announcement by Ripple that they will be hosting a thank you for the community and the headline entertainment will be Snoop. 

We each need to challenge Ripple's decision and have our community reconsider the message that a performance by Snoop sends. I totally get there is a “just a bit of fun” side to it, and seeing a rap legend would no doubt be brilliant. But I believe we, and Ripple, are smarter than smoke and mirrors marketing. I will admit that I used to like some of Snoops songs when I was a teenager. I wish I knew (and properly realised) then what I know now. 

Snoop is a man who has made a career out of recording denigrating, misogynistic and typically appalling songs about women. His tracks are full of nice hooks but riddled with terrible mistakes about how we should see and treat women and how to be a man. Life where Snoop grew up was no doubt very different to where I grew up, and I do not begrudge him success. I do take issue with his perspective that women are ho’s, sl*ts, prostitutes and servants. I do take issue with Ripple choosing this artist over every single other available musician. He should not be given a platform by this company.

Ripple is trying to change the world. They want to level the playing field for humanity. Employing an artist like Snoop to continue this process goes completely against the grain and is an insult to our journey of leaving the archaic and pursuing the future.

This is a disappointing misstep down a path to equality.

1 hour ago, Let_her_Ripple said:

Hi all,

Slight vent coming on here…

I feel that something may have been missed in the announcement by Ripple that they will be hosting a thank you for the community and the headline entertainment will be Snoop. 

We each need to challenge Ripple's decision and have our community reconsider the message that a performance by Snoop sends. I totally get there is a “just a bit of fun” side to it, and seeing a rap legend would no doubt be brilliant. But I believe we, and Ripple, are smarter than smoke and mirrors marketing. I will admit that I used to like some of Snoops songs when I was a teenager. I wish I knew (and properly realised) then what I know now. 

Snoop is a man who has made a career out of recording denigrating, misogynistic and typically appalling songs about women. His tracks are full of nice hooks but riddled with terrible mistakes about how we should see and treat women and how to be a man. Life where Snoop grew up was no doubt very different to where I grew up, and I do not begrudge him success. I do take issue with his perspective that women are ho’s, sl*ts, prostitutes and servants. I do take issue with Ripple choosing this artist over every single other available musician. He should not be given a platform by this company.

Ripple is trying to change the world. They want to level the playing field for humanity. Employing an artist like Snoop to continue this process goes completely against the grain and is an insult to our journey of leaving the archaic and pursuing the future.

This is a disappointing misstep down a path to equality.

It's just a party...

Snoop Doggs new music is nothing like his old. 

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's just a party...

Snoop Doggs new music is nothing like his old. 

Agreed, they’re not running for president, you can’t micro analyze every decision and determine whether there is a link to something morally questionable

They’re running a business, this event is part of them running that business

You’d be hard pushed to find a high profile musician who hasn’t done something that people would have issue with

I couldn't care less who they pay to entertain people at a party and neither will investors. This isn't some genius strategy, someone at Ripple HQ said to HR 'Book someone reasonably high profile for the party that might get us a bit of media interest" Snoop Dog' came to mind and was available. Personally I have no interest in rap music, in fact I dislike both the 'music' and the culture it glamorises/advocates, but it doesn't make any difference to my investment decisions either way.

While I agree that some of his songs could be considered disrespectful towards women, I think ripple will have wisely chosen which tracks he plays on the night

Banks, Ripple's customers / governments, could also be analysed for their morality. For example working with Saudi central banks / other banks in the middle East is working with those central organisations in oppressive countries. 

So where do you stop, do you protest against ripple because they work in the middle East too... Etc 

Probably not

It's a party to have fun and celebrate...Snoop also just came out with a gospel album, people change...with that said I'd still be upset if he didn't play any of his classics?...also, it could be that a major partner of Ripple may have requested Snoop, maybe a big fan of him