Jump to content
RikkiTikki

Ripple (XRP) Sees Flash Crash With Allegedly Manipulative Order

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, XRPHornets said:

Its not ridiculous to come to the conclusion that an unregulated market is being manipulated. The reasons why regulation have been historically introduced  was to stop manipulation, so pretty safe to assume its happening in cryptos, which are unregulated. 

I agree.

I have a question about futures, to you or anybody, really.  It's a fairly simple question.

If I make a futures bet that Bitcoin will "be below $9,000 on May 1", how exactly does it work?   I know I have to purchase a contract, but what does that contract stipulate, exactly?  (I don't do futures trading) 

Note: Sorry in advance if I could have just googled, but I thought I'd ask here where we're sure to have somebody that knows the answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Hodor said:

If I make a futures bet that Bitcoin will "be below $9,000 on May 1", how exactly does it work?   I know I have to purchase a contract, but what does that contract stipulate, exactly?  (I don't do futures trading) 

In order to short you need to sell a futures contract with an obligation to buy X bitcoins on May 1st for whatever price will be (and buy a contract in order to go long). This is what the contract is about in a nutshell. You are not touching bitcoins though, you are settling the difference which is a non-delivery futures.

Mark-to-market for your position will be calculated daily and a margin call will be issued to cover your losses in case your balance falls below certain level.

Were you interested in some specific details?

Edited by Lamberth
Edited just to avoid confusion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hodor said:

I agree.

I have a question about futures, to you or anybody, really.  It's a fairly simple question.

If I make a futures bet that Bitcoin will "be below $9,000 on May 1", how exactly does it work?   I know I have to purchase a contract, but what does that contract stipulate, exactly?  (I don't do futures trading) 

Note: Sorry in advance if I could have just googled, but I thought I'd ask here where we're sure to have somebody that knows the answer.

Im no expert either, but AFAIK futures works by agreeing to sell at a future price ( without settling) on the premise you buy back at lower price ( or pay the debit if you but back at higher price)

If you have a large stack you simply sell into fiat/USDT and then buy back at the lower price that happens after you sell big.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knowing more robust regulation is coming down the pipe for cryptos, globally, will be the final "squeeze" for the whales. I think they know they only have months left to play this market... Why not try to drive the prices down in one of the greatest declines in crypto history (Q1 2018) to get a final position at a low bid, and then kick of one "final" parabolic run before institutional $$$ and regulation threaten their existence... It's been done before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Hodor said:

I agree.

I have a question about futures, to you or anybody, really.  It's a fairly simple question.

If I make a futures bet that Bitcoin will "be below $9,000 on May 1", how exactly does it work?   I know I have to purchase a contract, but what does that contract stipulate, exactly?  (I don't do futures trading) 

Note: Sorry in advance if I could have just googled, but I thought I'd ask here where we're sure to have somebody that knows the answer.

If you have a few minutes, check Antonopoulos explanation, very interesting:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RippleGuy2007 said:

I thought the BTC futures currently offered settlement in fiat? 

Strictly speaking, on the expiration date the exchange is simply settling the difference between selling price and market price (and multiplies it by contract size). It never touches bitcoins per se. While the contract is active the exchange freezes some funds on both buyer’s and seller’s accounts to make sure they can pay on the expiration date (the amount of funds may vary during the period).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, VaR said:

If you have a few minutes, check Antonopoulos explanation, very interesting:

 

You know what´s crazy about this? It was realeased December 11th 2017. and he said:

"I think the time between december 10th and december 31st is gonna be very, very exciting. 21 days of extreme excitement. Because the most likely thing to happen is we gonna see a LOT of volume. You think we have volume in bitcoin now?" And then he just laughts. Wow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bachmama said:

You know what´s crazy about this? It was realeased December 11th 2017. and he said:

"I think the time between december 10th and december 31st is gonna be very, very exciting. 21 days of extreme excitement. Because the most likely thing to happen is we gonna see a LOT of volume. You think we have volume in bitcoin now?" And then he just laughts. Wow!

Yeah, he knows what the futures market will bring to crypto. But IMO the volume of December was because of average people entering the market and not because of futures, indeed there were news on January saying:

Quote

Volumes and open interest have been fairly small in the Cboe and CME contracts.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/17/as-the-first-bitcoin-futures-expire-price-and-volume-concerns-arise.html

And that brings another interesting topic, I'm not an expert but I wonder if there has been any case in history where FI's were the last to arrive to the party. Of course many more average people will enter the market but it's hard to believe we are still in the smart money phase.

Anyway, the best is yet to come :JC_doubleup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2018 at 12:53 AM, VaR said:

If you have a few minutes, check Antonopoulos explanation, very interesting:

Thanks for that. Really enjoyed it. I wanted to watch more, so I clicked on the next video that came up in the youtube feed and after about 1:15 minutes almost choked on my morning coffee. This video dates from 2015, but the first two names he mentions as being huge for bitcoin are western union and moneygram. Bloody marvellous. Everyone should watch it!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2018 at 8:00 AM, jbjnr2 said:

Thanks for that. Really enjoyed it. I wanted to watch more, so I clicked on the next video that came up in the youtube feed and after about 1:15 minutes almost choked on my morning coffee. This video dates from 2015, but the first two names he mentions as being huge for bitcoin are western union and moneygram. Bloody marvellous. Everyone should watch it!

 

Thanks, great video!

IMO, bitcoin maximalists are too utopic. A worldwide currency without any kind of control is naive, it may happen in the future but not without a good fight and even less without solving all the technical problems bitcoin still has.

Anyway what I wanted to highlight is everybody knows the world has a problem sending value. Ripple's approach to solve it is the best for now, it's just a matter of time until is adopted.

Edited by VaR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...