ThomasV

Ripple Looses a Billioniare to opiods. RIP Mr Mellon

Such sad news for him and his family. It's also a big loss for the Ripple community. He was one of the earliest big time supporters of Ripple that I can recall. I think he called himself a Ripple Ambassador in those wealthy circles. I specifically remember there was an article on how he bought a tank of fuel for his airplane with xrp. This was long before others could do anything similar except maybe get someone to buy pizza for it. 

Reflecting on the numbers, I would assume his xrp billionaire status came only temporarily during the ath. He probably bought his 2 million worth around that .006 period which, if correct, gave him around 300 to 350 million. 

Vaya Con Dios Mr Mellon

Edited by Guest

55 minutes ago, CrossingtheRubicon said:

I specifically remember there was an article on how he bought a tank of fuel for his airplane with xrp.

Yeah, he gave the community 'Jet Fuel Day' like bitcoin has pizza day. 

55 minutes ago, CrossingtheRubicon said:

He probably bought his 2 million worth around that .006

OTC purchase from Ripple. We estimated at 0.003-0.001. 

Oh, Matthew. You were a slice of Mellon and now have sampled a slice of Eternity :( 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/banking-heir-matthew-mellon-died-suddenly-in-drug-rehab/ar-AAvXZdM?ocid=spartanntp

"Mellon made his fortune in cryptocurrency, turning a $2 million investment into $1 billion. "

"Crypto is scary and dark. It's anti-America," Mellon had said in the past, according to Forbes. "I am pro-America, pro-business and pro-bank. That's why I went with Ripple."

1 hour ago, Graine said:

OTC purchase from Ripple. We estimated at 0.003-0.001. 

My condolences to all his friends and family.

The figure I was told by someone who knew him was ~700m xrp for $2m.

That's a shame. He was on the Board of Advisors at one point.

5 hours ago, Archive said:

Bold statement painted with a wide brush.

It is too broad of a statement, but wealth without work was one of Ghandi’s Seven Social Sins. 

6 hours ago, Valhalla_Guy said:

Beware: IF XRP ever approaches the moon, it will be the end of more than a few Hodlrs, because when people do not work for their money, they are never able to handle the wealth.

Sorry, but I have to disagree.  It is not always true that people lose their way by gaining or inheriting wealth.  As with all else in life it depends on one's grounding.  Without proper grounding I agree that almost all would end badly.  Not every lottery winner ends badly.  Most do, though.

6 hours ago, Valhalla_Guy said:

Second lesson: Addiction is horrible, any human is susceptible, but it is not an epidemic because it is a choice. Personal responsibility for personal actions. This was suicide, not an accident; he died by his own hand. 

Actually not everyone is susceptible; addiction is a relationship one has to a drug or other life experience.  Some people are simply not that susceptible to addiction, simply based on their biochemistry.

And it isn't as simple as a choice in two big respects.  When it comes to death from opioids, not all who die from them even know they are taking them.  Unfortunately, other drugs are sometimes laced with fentanyl or other opioids -- so a cocaine user not expecting it can die suddenly from an opioid overdose. 

And the initial choice many people take is to avoid excruciating pain following surgery.  There are people who are simply highly likely to become addicted to pain killers once exposed.  Other people are not so likely to become addicted.

It is not as simple as looking at this as a moral failure.

1 hour ago, Tyrell said:

It is not always true

That is why I said ‘more than few’

1 hour ago, Tyrell said:

initial choice many people take is to avoid excruciating pain following surgery. 

Seriously “Cancun & Rehab” He was far from an unaware victim.  You can draw the most extreme case you wish, but exceptions mean nothing. Darwin rules.

How many of your ‘victims of healthcare’ head south of the border, for rehab?

Edited by Valhalla_Guy

2 hours ago, Valhalla_Guy said:

That is why I said ‘more than few’

I was reacting to your statement "when people don't have to work for their money..."  -- far too general.

2 hours ago, Valhalla_Guy said:

Seriously “Cancun & Rehab” He was far from an unaware victim.  You can draw the most extreme case you wish, but exceptions mean nothing. Darwin rules.

How many of your ‘victims of healthcare’ head south of the border, for rehab?

Again, I was reacting to your generalized statement.  I have no idea how he became addicted, nor do I know if he was an 'unaware victim' or not.  I never met the man. 

I am suggesting that we should all avoid generalized statements regarding this issue.  Things are not as cut and dried as that when it comes to addiction.