MaxEntropy

Ripple's Market Cap... needs to move to #1

Banks (intermediaries) are here to stay. Regulations and laws will require it.

Banks are needed for home loans, auto loans, small business loans, etc. In the US only the banks have the advantage of fractional reserve banking where they can loan out 10 times the cash they have on hand, borrowing the difference at below market rates from the Central Bank. 

Worldwide, Central Banks only lend to other banks or governments. They don't lend to individuals directly. Therefore, there will always be an intermediary required (for due diligence purposes and many other purposes). Call them banks or whatever new name they take on. Banks or bank-like institutions are here to stay. 

Regulations and laws will keep banks or bank-like institutions running in a similar way that they run today. Everything will just be more streamlined, instant, secure, and more currency agnostic. 

10 guys digging a hole with shovels (old way)  vs. 1 guy with a bulldozer (new way). Technology makes things more streamlined. Rules and regulations remain. Simple as that. 

Edited by xrp_py

I like reading Max's take on things as his arguments follow his premises pretty well. The issue is that most of the premises are questionable, if not outright false. E.g.,  "no ecosystem, no real users"

False premises make an argument *unsound*, and therefore poor, even if reasoning from the premises is flawless. Doesn't mean valid points weren't raised, it just means that the conclusion is discardable.

Another nit I have is that Max's current arguments are based on comparing the current state Ripple/XRP with future (fairy tale) state of other DA's.

Edited by n2it
sound vs valid argument correction

12 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

There is little doubt in my mind they are working towards becoming revenue neutral with their software licensing (but obviously I do not have any inside information).  In the event XRP does not become the preferred digital asset for institutional use, Ripple could still survive as with ILP their customers could use whatever becomes the standard.

I assume that ripple can live very long without being revenue neutral, looking at their warchest (and assuming that crypto will stay at current levels). Moreover, I think ripple company is fully aware that XRP as an asset can fail. If that happens, I think they will be in a very good position anyways, if they continue gaining customers for xCurrent at that pace. 

Edited by xrp-overflow

@Paradox 

Good points!

--

I use 'black and white' to force the discussion to the boundary conditions/cases. This has the potential to offer insight with responses from others. 

I have recently begun to understand the role of 'plugin Bots' within a Telegram model. The Bots and DEXs coupled with new plugin capable wallets open the door for AI middleware and peer to peer transactions.

i would normally agree with your point about time frame, but there is the problem of debt and counter party risk. The muppets here, have no understanding of the extent of debt, that countries and states are in, and how it must be disposed of.

Tragic.

--

Ripple is constrained by the approach they are taking. There is nothing innovative happening. They are copying the old world models and switching crypto for fiat. Mehhh.

5 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

@Paradox 

Good points!

--

I use 'black and white' to force the discussion to the boundary conditions/cases. This has the potential to offer insight with responses from others. 

I have recently begun to understand the role of 'plugin Bots' within a Telegram model. The Bots and DEXs coupled with new plugin capable wallets open the door for AI middleware and peer to peer transactions.

i would normally agree with your point about time frame, but there is the problem of debt and counter party risk. The muppets here, have no understanding of the extent of debt, that countries and states are in, and how it must be disposed of.

Tragic.

--

Ripple is constrained by the approach they are taking. There is nothing innovative happening. They are copying the old world models and switching crypto for fiat. Mehhh.

Debt, at least from a US perspective, really is the trillion dollar question.   The current course is unsustainable, and no US politician wants to stem this issue head on as the short term economic pain caused would all but guarantee the end of the respective careers of each politician.   Hence the can keeps getting kicked down the road...

My concern is that the debt load may be getting "too big to fail" so to speak.   China holds a significant portion of US debt, and the impact of globalization and the synergistic producer-consumer relationship between the US and Chinese economies has effectively tied the fate of either economy to one another (more so China to the US).    Thus, if the US economy fails, China's will suffer also.

The more interesting question is whether the emergence of a supra-national bridge currency not tied to a specific nation-state will reduce this economic co-dependency, thus reducing the USD's role in the world.   Obviously I am hoping XRP will play this role,  however we are still in very very early days.

20 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

@Paradox 

Good points!

--

Tragic.

--

Last year I saw Ripple totally focused upon delivering a cross border solution for banks. I think the reality of the scale of the adoption and the  inadequacies of the Ripple offering at that point ie not yet fit for banking purposes, made them realise that they needed to rethink and buy time. They have clearly not been in a state of inertia.

I know you will argue that Codius is an old idea, but I still think that in this nascent world of smart contracts it will have a big role to play.

They will get xRapid right which will benefit xrp because as much as you disbelieve in the team I am 100% to the contrary and have faith. 

XPool sounds like it is going to be very interesting, but I am not going to surmise what it will look like ... alot of supposition has already been made

Cobalt is going to help define the future for xrp and shows that Ripple has not been  ignoring the competition , or more to the point has been looking to strengthen it's offering

There will always be competition, and normally this should make a company better by keeping them on their toes - MBA or not all management should recognise this. I think Ripple are not blind to what is happening over their shoulder but they do have their sights on delivering the future.

I am not interested in bringing the current banking system down, but I do believe that there is a better way to do business and that is what interests me - if the banks can adapt, then fine, if not there will be changes.

As ever Max, you tend to bring out alot discussion. Rational debate with educated comments by any contributor is worth listening to,even if one doesn't agree. 

Edited by mistatee2000

4 hours ago, n2it said:

I like reading Max's take on things as his arguments follow his premises pretty well. The issue is that most of the premises are questionable, if not outright false. E.g.,  "no ecosystem, no real users"

False premises invalidate the argument. Period. Doesn't mean valid points weren't raised.

Another nit I have is that Max's current arguments are based on comparing the current state Ripple/XRP with future (fairy tale) state of other DA's.

His posts are the dumbest smart sounding posts there are.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:28 AM, MaxEntropy said:

All of them...

Ripple will dominate at least for the next 3-5 years. I am very confident of this... network performance will determine the outcome even if it is tied to dinosaur banks. Bitcoin Lightning Networks are still 2-3 years away. One year to get them out of the lab and then 2-3 years for adoption. At this point, Ripple will have serious competition. However, in the meantime Ripple will be very successful and this is terrible.

Ripple will do exactly, as told, first by the corporations and then, this will be used as core technology for nation states. ...

:-)

16 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum and the space, in general, is consolidating around lower prices... maybe much lower. This will change some time this year (and move higher, maybe to $50,000 BTC), but by that time the network characteristics of these same networks will be entering the same space that Ripple has enjoyed for many years... and which Ripple HAS NOT benefited from.

Time is fleeting...

:-)

These two comments ... You said bitchoin is "2-3 years away" and yesterday, you said "some time this year" in regards to network performance. You also mentioned Ripple will dominate for 3-5 years until the other coins get a better network...which again is this year??

I know time is relative, but come on ...

- Tripple Ripple -    - Ripple Effect -

There will be a place for both bitcoin, xrp, and ETH. Ripple is working on ensuring this through their work on the interledger protocol.

They are extremely focused on  building the infrastructure allowing all types of ledgers to communicate, using the fastest/cheapest possible way. Currently, that is xrp, but who knows, it might change in the future.

What I think will happen is that every bank and  corporation will have their own digital ledger, every central bank their own digital blockchain-based version of their national currency. Ripples ILP is what allows all ledgers to communicate in a frictionless way. 

I don’t think we can even begin to imagine how many different digital assets there will be in 10 years.

Comparing XRP, ETH, and BTC is like complaining Twitter, Facebook, and Google... “Twitter can’t succeed because Instagram is better at handling images” or “Facebook can’t succeed because Google is better at search”. 

Edited by Vesm
Clumsy thumbs

53 minutes ago, Understandsimplicity said:

These two comments ... You said bitchoin is "2-3 years away" and yesterday, you said "some time this year" in regards to network performance. You also mentioned Ripple will dominate for 3-5 years until the other coins get a better network...which again is this year??

I know time is relative, but come on ...

- Tripple Ripple -    - Ripple Effect -

This guy constantly discredits himself. Sigh. 

There's a bloke who often stands on a street corner near my workplace shouting out that the world will soon end.  I don't know what he is saying and don't want to know.  I blocked Max for the same reason.  

People that I do respect in here keep saying Max is valuable because of his contrarian views but every time I've ever read his words they were nonsense or straight FUD.

In skimming this topic I see he still thinks banks are going to disappear, that BTC is superior to XRP,  that Ripple are incompetent,. that David Schwartz is getting rid of his XRP,  and god knows what other bits of nonsense.

He has spat the dummy multiple times and said he is leaving, has continually spruiked nonsense off-topic in the middle of unrelated threads, and basically been not much more than a troll.

I'm sorry but I can't see any value in his 'contrarian' views.  If that makes me a mindless fanboi then so be it.

26 minutes ago, Tinyaccount said:

There's a bloke who often stands on a street corner near my workplace shouting out that the world will soon end.  I don't know what he is saying and don't want to know.  I blocked Max for the same reason.  

People that I do respect in here keep saying Max is valuable because of his contrarian views but every time I've ever read his words they were nonsense or straight FUD.

In skimming this topic I see he still thinks banks are going to disappear, that BTC is superior to XRP,  that Ripple are incompetent,. that David Schwartz is getting rid of his XRP,  and god knows what other bits of nonsense.

He has spat the dummy multiple times and said he is leaving, has continually spruiked nonsense off-topic in the middle of unrelated threads, and basically been not much more than a troll.

I'm sorry but I can't see any value in his 'contrarian' views.  If that makes me a mindless fanboi then so be it.

Your opinion should count as much as any one elses', even if you were a mindless fanboi, which you are clearly not

Though I don't agree with much that Max says, he has a right to his opinion, but I must add, that usually gets a great response from the community, and for me that adds substance to this forum, away from the mooning and lambos (even though I would like something similar ). If I want really poor quality FUD, I just go on twitter - I don't know how the heroes such as Tiff Hayden, JoelKatz,  XRPTrump et al have the patience to counter it.

8 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

Most of you here, think banks are institutions that are not going away. I believe they are toast. 

banks lend money, which is how all economies grow... without lending, nothing could get done. banks are going nowhere.