MaxEntropy

Ripple's Market Cap... needs to move to #1

4 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

@panmores

The only thing that matters in the crypto space for corporations is:

• tx price, and
  • performance
  • liquidity

The network that reaches critical mass with these characteristics... wins.

Only the early adopters of crypto care about 'de-centralization'... everyone one else just wants the functionality. Ripple needs to distinguish itself in the near future. Management in corporations are fickle, they will not recommend solutions that could be deemed acquaint when it comes to performance.

BCH and Bitcoin are in 2018, presenting network performances characteristics that will cause corporations to re-do their internal due diligence.

And security, and accuracy ie lack of errors which dogs Swift (or are you including that in performance) Max.

Whether we agree or disagree with your thoughts, at least it has prompted some worthwhile discussion

4 hours ago, Blockchained said:

If any of the cryptos become more valuable than BTC how will they justify those BTC pairings ? 

Won’t the whole model look ridiculous?

I don’t think the exchanges will allow that.

Control is everyhing....coinbase is doing it, bitfinex is doing it and now circle (Poloniex) and coincheck will do it.

@MaxEntropy Hi, I’m curious how McCaleb’s Stellar would stack up and whether your views are still the same.

Most readers would love to see their XRP token in top #1 position.  This flippening Is instrumental in sending across the message that XRP deserves its status as a digital asset and/or cryptocurrency.  And perhaps, XLM in the top 5 via IBM commercial route.

Unknowingly, XRP is still viewed with suspicion as a banker’s coin.  So let’s hope this image will change with Ripple’s pivot and adoption/use case in the real commercial world ... as oppose to prior focus only on central banks and FIs.  What is required is to ramp up liquidity and accessibility in all markets, countries and apps.  

A classic example is Twitter that almost collapsed given luke warm interest around the world (no users, no traffic, no advertising, no profitability, no future).  

While Ripple may be the Porsche/Ferrari in speed but at a cost of a Lada/Skoda, if Ripple is unable to scale up production/use for world adoption, it will fail.  Bitcoin has prevailed given first mover advantage and global dominance as kleenex is to tissue or duracell to batteries despite higher costs vs its competitors.  The name sticks and this goodwill attracts higher sales/revenues even if other brands are cheaper or better.

Institutional money and fund managers will begin to allocate a small weighting to crypto and digital assets.  If XRP is not in the top 1 or 2 spot, it may sinply be ignored given the misnomers or misperceptions in the market in addition to the lack of liquidity from inability to list on more crypto exchanges.  I fully understand Coinbase’s ploy to keep the legacy bitcoin alive so Ripple may need to be creative on how to increase liquidity and availability to the masses.  As well as change the marketing strategy of its XRP token to become more appealing now that some of its rails/infrastructure and partnerships are in place.

I look forward Max’s semi-vested interest in XRP and his continued candid opinions of Ripple that are somewhat correct and not totally misguided.  As Ripple adds more seasoned leaders, we will begin to see Ripple’s plan of action in full swing and complete unison with our own thinking ... for us, XRP must become a household name within the next 18 months otherwise, its value will be long gone which would only spell doom and gloom for Ripple as the major XRP holder. If Ripple is able to engineer top spot and new ATH, Ripple will be invincible for decades to come as the world’s most powerful and richest private company ... my money is with XRP but with a small little wager on XLM due to IBM ...

@MaxEntropy Have you ever worked at a big bank? Because your statements show that you don't know what you are talking about. 

Having the best tech is NOT enough for institutional adoption. It has to comply with several guidelines established by the institution. That's why the due diligence is done by the compliance team, risk management team, legal team and all the other stakeholders. 

Fortunately, Ripple is aware of that and their software meets all the requirements. Bitcon and Ethereum might be used for other purposes, but not for cross-border payments. 

I can not speak English.  I live in South Korea.

I continued to focus on reading articles in Google Translate.  It has been 4 years since I invested in ripple and watched.

Ripple trade closed.  Only three gateways were closed in South Korea.  It was a really hard time.

But ripple has really grown a lot.  Initially there were 50 employees.  Now more than 200 people.

There are many branches around the world.  California, New York, Australia, London, Luxembourg, India, Singapore, China, Japan. . . There are so many offices.

Ripple has really grown a lot.   I think ripple will be the first in the near future.

I think Ripple has not let go of time yet.  I agree with the statement that the Internet did not happen overnight.

Recently re-published I agree with the article.  It is not a block chain. Interoperability is important. 

I agree that interoperability is important.

I hope ripple will succeed.   So I want to succeed too.

@andrejones

Definitely not... banks would be mind numbingly boring.

:-)

Most of you here, think banks are institutions that are not going away. I believe they are toast. There is another industry that is going away... The Insurance Industry. What does going away mean... radically downsized with many fewer humans on the front end and middle management.

Example - Lemonade.com - an AI based algorithmic insurance company... sure there are some humans, but radically downsized:

https://lemonade.com 

@bookworm Hi...

I came to Ripple over Bitcoin for the following two (2) reasons:

1. performance... transaction settle time
  2. accessibility... Ripple Trade was a good product

Ripple is now, in 2018, going to lose the performance advantage... this is a big deal. Ripple has no compelling other features... repeatedly, I have stated, Ripple has the following:

• no eco-system
  • no research
  • no wallets
  • no real users... only the 100 mythical banks running trials

Any product with these characteristics is big trouble.

The only future I see for the Ripple product is corporate to corporate settlement... not banks, as they are toast. The analogy that I am currently thinking... is that of MS Exchange (think Ripple analogy) corporate messaging which is coupled with SMTP (think Bitcoin analogy) global messaging backbone. However, Ripple is not pursuing this strategy and they do not have the partners to enable this.

At some point, Ripple's Board of Directors will have to wake up from their long winter's vision of global banking and deal with today... where 'The Bitcoins' are eating their lunch and connecting with merchants. Consider the following:

• Coinbase... is close bringing major Wall Street money but it is said, that the issue of custody (holding crypto) is delaying the decision. This is also the same with Joe Public. If Joe does not need a bank, and that is all banks really do - is provide custody management services for Joe, for a monthly fee, then Joe is better off using a Bitcoin wallet.
  • Bitcoin Cash... Roger Ver believes that BCH can achieve critical mass with merchant adoption, which is in stark contrast to the BlockStream view of store of well. Ver could be right. Merchant adoption and wallets are the key to crypto. Roger has passion and vision... not sure if they have the technology, but 2018 will determine this.

Ripple is being eclipsed on all fronts today.

--

With regard to Stellar...

• I like the fact that they are a foundation and not for profit
  • I like the fact that they have the beginnings of an eco-system where other products can integrate
  • I like the fact that KIK/KIN is moving to Stellar... this could be a trend for ERC-20 token apps

Stellar needs a significant tech partner.

Most people do not see the future... 

• a future dominated by Distributed Crypto Exchanges... traditional exchanges will be rapidly replaced, think Bottorent
  • there will be many many tokens
  • they will be atomically swapped by DEXs in real time at the point of sale with a new type of mobile wallet (Bot plugin enabled)

Example:

Crypto token X (maybe a social app by Telegram's using the GRAM token) will be used instantaneously to pay for coffee at Starbuck's in any denomination... Nation state fiat, or Starbuck's Token. A Bot enabled wallet will perform instant conversion from GRAM to Starbucks accept payment. This will be driven by QRcoded directives.

There is no role for a bank in this model, as it is the wallet that determines the type of conversion mechanism based on the designated Starbucks QRcode. The merchant only cares that they receive a payment type they accept. The role of Bots will be critical in this future. Bots will connect the wallets to the DEXs.

This is why Telegram received the 1.5 Billion... it is about the Bots. It may be that social apps morph to become wallets. This is where Telegram is going. Apple Pay will not be required.

--

Again, Ripple is necessary spending it's time on things that have no real future. Integrating dead banks, using a prehistoric banking model is a colossal waste of time.

Edited by MaxEntropy

3 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Most people do not see the future... 

• a future dominated by Distributed Crypto Exchanges... traditional exchanges will be rapidly replaced, think Bottorent
  • there will be many many tokens
  • they will be atomically swapped by DEXs in real time at the point of sale with a new type of mobile wallet (Bot plugin enabled)

Example:

Crypto token X (maybe a social app by Telegram's using the GRAM token) will be used instantaneously to pay for coffee at Starbuck's in any denomination... Nation state fiat, or Starbuck's Token. A Bot enabled wallet will perform instant conversion from GRAM to Starbucks accept payment. This will be driven by QRcoded directives.

There is no role for a bank in this model, as it is the wallet that determines the type of conversion mechanism based on the designated Starbucks QRcode. The merchant only cares that they receive a payment type they accept. The role of Bots will be critical in this future. Bots will connect the wallets to the DEXs.

This is why Telegram received the 1.5 Billion... it is about the Bots. It may be that social apps morph to become wallets. This is where Telegram is going. Apple Pay will not be required.

--

Again, Ripple is necessary spending it's time on things that have no real future. Integrating dead banks, using a prehistoric banking model is a colossal waste of time.

I really can't get over my mind what are you still doing here if you so disbelieve in Ripple's project! All your posts is FUD so why don't you sell your stash and go somewhere else? I'm not  trying to silence different opinions but your clearly are intended in creating waves with posts like this, you don't seem interested in having a real discussion just spread FUD, and I really think moderators should consider banning you from this forum because you're just trolling away.

At least I will put you on my Ignore list, welcome to it!

@mistatee2000

I am hugely critical of Ripple leadership... the problem is with the MBA mindset. MBAs are trained and therefore attract humans that wish to be trained to... tweak business relationships. That is what they do... they tweak.

These people could maybe be useful in running a company in a MATURE business sector, but certainly not in an innovation space.

This whole idea of Internet of Value is crap... Bitcoin has already usurped the concept and delivered on the implementation. If Ripple had been able to lead in this space then, the term would be useful.

Every crypto in the world now competes with SWIFT...

--

People forget that it is humans and corporations that require SWIFT and their banks... Crypto bypasses banks and therefore bypasses SWIFT. It is a dying business. Think Post Office.

3 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

@mistatee2000

I am hugely critical of Ripple leadership... the problem is with the MBA mindset. MBAs are trained and therefore attract humans that wish to be trained to... tweak business relationships. That is what they do... they tweak.

These people could maybe be useful in running a company in a MATURE business sector, but certainly not in an innovation space.

This whole idea of Internet of Value is crap... Bitcoin has already usurped the concept and delivered on the implementation. If Ripple had been able to lead in this space then, the term would be useful.

Every crypto in the world now competes with SWIFT...

--

People forget that it is humans and corporations that require SWIFT and their banks... Crypto bypasses banks and therefore bypasses SWIFT. It is a dying business. Think Post Office.

@MaxEntropy  While I agree with you that banks as they exist in their current form will be "toast" so to speak in the next 10-20 years, I don't think "toast" means going away completely.  Competition from crypto and other FinTech will undoubtedly force them to change their business structure and operation processes, but I believe you are too "black and white" in your thinking.   

History has demonstrated that at the advent of every new type of transformational technology, there has been a transition period as the world slowly shifts from one paradigm to the other (think proliferation of internet connectivity etc.).   Granted these transitional periods have gotten faster and faster over time, I believe the technology that is best able to capitalize during these transitional times will ultimately come out the winner, or at the very least ahead.   I do not subscribe to the view that we will rapidly go from a world in which banks play a major role to a world without them.  In any case, these next 12-18 months will be critical for Ripple's future.

7 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

The issue is not a bear market. The issue is performance advancements in BTC and BCH which will eclipse Ripple Network performance.

Speculation, since neither BTC or BCH performance advancements are available now. Odd how you tout currently non-existent performance advancements for BTC and BCH, yet ding XRP for non-existent xRapid production adoption. At least xRapid is getting used *now* and well on the way to release.

My primary concern with Ripple is their entire strategy is institutional use with banks and corporations.  They could dedicate a small percentage of their resources to help build other use cases (or at least provide support to legitimate third parties who were interested in doing so).  Perhaps they are behind the scenes as I remember from David's AMA, he said that was one of his goals.  If Ripple fails with their current strategy with XRP, they may not be able to successfully pivot.

In my opinion, Ripple is well aware of the high stakes involved in their strategy which is one of the reasons why their primary business model is selling proprietary software to banks and corporations.  There is little doubt in my mind they are working towards becoming revenue neutral with their software licensing (but obviously I do not have any inside information).  In the event XRP does not become the preferred digital asset for institutional use, Ripple could still survive as with ILP their customers could use whatever becomes the standard.

On my most bullish days, I consider XRP's chance of success to be 40%.  On the other hand, many people on XRP Chat seem to think it is a foregone conclusion.  They are (or least act) so certain.  And some of these members, who will remain nameless, are so certain about the outcome they argue with and attack any individual who publicly expresses doubts.

Edited by Sebastian