Apple implements interledger in safari on iOS

https://www.cointrust.com/news/apple-prefers-w3c-interledger-for-web-trnx-why-ripple-loves-visa-hates-it

April 7, 2018 by Kate Leaman

Apple has announced that Safari 11.1 on macOS and Safari on iOS 11.3 will support the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) Payment Request API for conducting Apple pay transactions on the web. Notably, the payment request API uses W3C Interledger, a global standard for interoperability. Ripple is the co-chair of W3C.

More importantly, the cheapest source for liquidity using interledger is Ripple (XRP) token. So, it seems Ripple has already secured a big deal. It should be remembered that Apple Pay is perceived as a competitor to Visa.

Two years before, Ripple chief technical officer Stefan Thomas told ibtimes

“From a sort of business strategic perspective, the big tech companies absolutely hate the card issuers, because they are another powerful player and something the big tech companies don’t like is sharing market power.”

Thomas also explained why Visa will hate it

“The tech companies would much rather be able to move themselves. I think what they are lacking, what they need is some way to interoperate with each other. That’s the thing the Visa has that they don’t have, the interoperability. That’s why we think having a protocol that gives them that interoperability is going to unleash complete hell on Visa.”

Edited by mandelbaum

Interledger isn't part of the W3C Payment Request API yet is it? I mean I hope it will be part of it one day, or soon, and I hope interledger payments will eventually flow through XRP, so this is a step in the right direction, but optimism should be tempered? Maybe it's a bigger deal than I'm making it out to be, I just think the connection is many steps removed in both time and distance from XRP.

https://www.w3.org/TR/payment-request/#introduction

• Guest locked and unlocked this topic
14 hours ago, Tehol_Beddict said:

Well it’s already the chosen protocol for the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) so Ripple/Interledger has basically already won that war. All the big players/browsers have announced they’ll be supporting it as well. Just look at the authors of the payment request API:

4618C66D-C2D7-43E8-AC76-5A29A5EFE7D8.thumb.png.56750abf5b5b8df2c476ea13643cd8c7.png

Just to add to this, AH-B confirming -

Please can someone kindly explain this to a thickie like me?

I have a decent understanding of ILP, XRP etc but I cant get my head around exactly what this announcement means,  despite having  read the thread a couple of times.

Thanks

Edited by XRPHornets

On 4/7/2018 at 7:27 AM, Ralphadayus said:

The Interledger Protocol provides for routing payments across different digital asset ledgers be it fiat or crypto. And chooses the fastest and cheapest payment route, offers it up and the banks or merchants can use this route.

No one saw the routing logic for the ILP banks adopted. 

ILP v4 that is for public works a bit differenty. 

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I did not want to open new thread and hence I post this here. So, you can now earn money by just walking. I know it sounds ridiculous but money wise it would be sensible IF it could motivate people to exercise more and not get overweight/obese. However, lazy fat-a$$es like me would figure out how to game the system one way or another.

"the team developed the Steppr app. This interactive app essentially incentivizes users to walk by rewarding them real money for every step taken. The software program operates by linking Fitbit API and integrating Ripple’s InterLedger Protocol to transfer payments instantly to user accounts."