Sign in to follow this  
adoboman

Ripple struggles to buy U.S. listing for a popular coin

So this is the reason that XRP was never added to Coinbase. Coinbase is uncertain as to whether XRP is a security or a digital asset and this regulatory uncertainty scares them. If the SEC classifies XRP as a security, then we can kiss coinbase hopes goodbye. I hope they do not!

the article states the report is based on people who heard the conversation. nothing was in writing, its just FUD. Who remembers them saying south korea is banning crypto? was complete false information

But list a supposed digital asset that's primary purpose is to launch securities?

Edited by Guest

Let's not forget that Matthew Leising co-wrote this. His whole body of writing at Bloomberg on crypto mostly consists of various FUD-pieces. In some cases, he's conveniently left out important facts--see his piece on Tether a couple months back, in which he conveniently left out the subpoena was from December. 

1 minute ago, JTxrPP said:

ok, let's assume SEC categorizes XRP as a security, Coinbase and Gemini won't list it, but does that open the doors for XRP to be listed on a more traditional exchange like the NASDAQ?

This is a great question. Would love to hear responses from people with more knowledge than me!

2 minutes ago, ResidentNerd said:

This is a great question. Would love to hear responses from people with more knowledge than me!

It is a good question. I guess it would be like trying to have a share of stock be used as medium of value transfer, like cross-settlement? This would certainly be blending two asset classes in a way not yet seen if that is the case.

Coinbase and Gemini might be really risk averse or have alternative reasons for not wanting XRP. You can only speculate. I wouldn't call the article FUD, it seems like something that could have realistically happened and journalists use anonymous sources all the time. It seems like Ripple simply couldn't get listed. When regulatory clarity is in place these doors might reopen, especially as a lot of people would make a lot of money if they did list XRP.

12 minutes ago, thetamind said:

If xrp gets classified as a security, doesn't that mean that it will be delisted off about 90% of exchanges it currently on?

only in the US i assume. unless the entire world's regulatory body follows the SEC's lead which I think is unlikely.