Sign in to follow this  
RiverSong

"How to get $29 million for classroom projects? Just ask": A backstory behind the donation

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/30/us/donors-choose-donation-ripple.html

There may already have been several mentions of this story in Press, but here's a new article detailing the story behind the $29 million donation. And it's in the New York Times no less!

My way of dealing with this bear market is to remind myself that even if, by remote chance, the worst of the doom and gloom predictions come to pass, I'll still be absolutely proud to have supported this company. 

Money is not that useful... I would prefer seeing the following:

• second tier public or high school students to be taken into a limited but transformative technology or business programme. Maybe for a week, maybe for the summer months. First tier students don't need the assistance, in general.
  • maybe at a Ripple designated site or maybe via an online programme.
  • the key would be to give the recipient a broadened horizon on which to think or strive for.
  • students need to see that some things are possible while other things are not... they will probably not be basketball or hockey stars, but they could, with hands experience, realize that they have the ability to do new stuff.

Sure, this would take more effort than writing a cheque, but it would also enable changes of longer duration.

--

Ripple could throw five (5) darts at a global wall map and then begin at those locations.

27 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Sure, this would take more effort than writing a cheque, but it would also enable changes of longer duration.

Oh Max... on one hand you do make a valid point: engaging students on a deeper, more designed level.

On the other hand, give Ripple a little credit... their action is a bit more than simply "writing a cheque" with "money... not that useful".

Ripple made the donation to donorschoose.org - a platform that gives DIRECTLY to teachers of the students that these teachers work with every school day with nearly all the donation $$ going DIRECTLY to these teachers.  I would think the teachers that are ACTUALLY in the trenches at these schools with their students act as a pretty solid filter on how donations can make the most impact.

In a sense, Ripple has outsourced the application of the donation to folks who know much better than you, I, or Ripple where these resources can have the greatest impact.  Ripple has a big enough task on their hands; they don't have the bandwidth to try to be in the non-profit or education arena.

P.S - Are you the same Max from before?  What happened to your little row boat in a lake picture?  Why just the boring site-generated "M" image these days? :lol:

Edited by JohnnyRippleSeed

Hey - in Canada... we call those 'little boats' canoes... and the lake is huge... use google maps to locate 'Ralph Bice Lake' in Algonquin. Took three (3) portages to get in, and an hour and 1/2 to get to that camp site by crossing the last lake. And we had just covered maybe 1/2 the lake. It was in early October and brisk but a sunny day.

You decide...

--

Ripple... sure, I think it is great idea to provide tools to people who need them free of charge, but the purpose of feedback is not to get got up in salutations but look beyond to what will have a more significant impact. More could be said...

3 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

• second tier public or high school students to be taken into a limited but transformative technology or business programme. Maybe for a week, maybe for the summer months. First tier students don't need the assistance, in general.
  • maybe at a Ripple designated site or maybe via an online programme.
  • the key would be to give the recipient a broadened horizon on which to think or strive for.
  • students need to see that some things are possible while other things are not... they will probably not be basketball or hockey stars, but they could, with hands experience, realize that they have the ability to do new stuff.

Logistics, Max, logistics.

Sign in to follow this