Sign in to follow this  
flanman

"By end of 2018 we will have a diverse array of trusted validators more decentralized than Bitcoin or Ethereum" - @emacbrough

I was curious how the big XRP decentralization push was going, so I checked in with Ethan. Lookin' good to me:

Also, he's giving us tools to fight the FUD.

Today he's also teased  technical details about Cobalt and has given a release date of "no sooner than 2019." There are enough juicy tweets to fill a post in the Cobalt forum, so I'll take those over there. In the meantime, enjoy this:

Edited by flanman

Ya but... the validator list can be edited manually.

This sucks... it is still centralized.

--

I could have a go at the Schwartz video... wherein he starts by saying that Ripple is not centralized... and the ends with the message... that Ripple is working to de-centralize the network.

This simply illustrates the lack of cohesion in the marketing message.

10 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

This sucks... it is still centralized.

--

I could have a go at the Schwartz video... wherein he starts by saying that Ripple is not centralized... and the ends with the message... that Ripple is working to de-centralize the network.

This simply illustrates the lack of cohesion in the marketing message.

And PoW coins rely on powerful mining pools, which sucks, and can easily become centralized.

At least with a list you can put some thought in to which validators you trust.

_

Marketing message cohesion is a valid critique, but technically David's not wrong. The XRP ledger can be decentralized while working towards further decentralization.

19 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Right so you can decentralize geographically and ensure quality validators.  Don't want to end up with a pile of validators in dilapidated warehouses in China.

@PG1 and @flanman

Or.. you and your banking affiliates can centralize consensus around say, a Central Banking network... then integrate X.500 and you have an Orwellian solution... straight from Ripple, from a US company... 

Now ask yourself which international company, outside the control of the existing Western banks would buy this solution??

Edited by MaxEntropy

33 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

@PG1 and @flanman

Or.. you and your banking affiliates can centralize consensus around say, a Central Banking network... then integrate X.500 and you have an Orwellian solution... straight from Ripple, from a US company... 

Now ask yourself which international company, outside the control of the existing Western banks would buy this solution??

This is the exact reason market participants select their own UNLs. And anyone can run a validator.  You're arguing against your own point.