Allvor

[ANN] Allvor: cryptocurrency for e-commerce powered by the XRP Ledger

2 hours ago, ChavasRegal said:

The wallets weren't compromised due to using Windows, they were compromised due to a spoofed wallet generator that looked and acted like a legitimate and well regarded generator but had the nasty side effect of stealing the private key,  there were multiple wallets affected not just the ones I had generated. 

i would like to  give some xrp to  my little nephews and i find that  it is almost impossible for a non-technical person to know which online generated paper wallet are safe , so i haven't done any new wallets yet.

7 hours ago, Rose said:

i would like to  give some xrp to  my little nephews and i find that  it is almost impossible for a non-technical person to know which online generated paper wallet are safe , so i haven't done any new wallets yet.

I've generated a few, a couple for the purpose of giving children XRP gifts, out of them all I've only had the two I mentioned previously compromised and those were hastily created, there are tutorials for creating paper wallets offline to minimise any risk involved.

On 29/03/2018 at 7:44 PM, Allvor said:

Thanks for asking!
We believe you should use both. If possible read our white paper: https://allvor.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Allvor_White_Paper.pdf

How do I get these coins.  I just have a ledger nano s.  No idea about these trust lines you talk about.  Why do you need that and how do I add trust line to ledger nano s.  I'm not giving my private key

59 minutes ago, JustinS said:

How do I get these coins.  I just have a ledger nano s.  No idea about these trust lines you talk about.  Why do you need that and how do I add trust line to ledger nano s.  I'm not giving my private key

There are two posts in this thread from people who have done what you want to do.

On 05/04/2018 at 9:22 PM, Rexon said:

I am very disappointed with the Allvor Team.

If an airdrop is to be done to XRP holders, why not just do a simple airdrop to all XRP holders who have XRP in wallets instead of giving us technical jargon that normal people do not understand. 

I own all my XRP on a ledger nano s wallet. I should be able to paste my public keys somewhere straightforward and get my ALV sent to my wallet just like Ethereum, EOS and the rest do. All the jargon about sending this and that here and there is just rubbish.

I am truly very disappointed.

Sorry to be blunt, but you have seriously misunderstood what the ripple network is all about. A ripple address can hold one type of asset (XRPs), and it can hold IOUs (for just about anything). If you want your ripple address to hold XRP's, it's simple because XRPs are digital assets with no counterparty involved. But IOUs (abbreviation for “I owe you”) are meaningless unless you trust the issuer. For instance, a US dollar bill is an IOU issued by the US Federal Reserve, and it's useful only because most people trust the Federal reserve. If I have a minor debt to you, and you opt to cancel the debt in return for me handing over a dollar bill to you, you're extending a trustline to the US Federal reserve.

On the ripple network, it's up to the owner of every address to decide whom they trust. For instance, if you trust Bitstamp, you can extend a US dollar trustline to Bitstamp and then store USD.Bitstamp IOUs in your ripple address. Bitstamp also issue bitcoin IOUs.

The only way for you to keep ALV tokens at your ripple address is for you to extend a trustline to the issuer of those tokens, just as other people do for bitcoin IOUs, dollar IOUs, Euro IOUs, Yen IOUs, and even gold bullion IOUs. If you don't extent any trustlines, your ripple address can hold only XRPs. Extending trustlines could have unwanted side effects if you set the “Allow Rippling” flag, and that's why Allvor remind you not to set that flag unless you know what you're doing. You can extent trustlines from a cold storage account (where the secret has never been exposed to the internet), and other contributors to this thread have done just that.

I'm genuinely puzzled that you're holding XRPs. Most people only hold assets that they understand. I'm not trying to be insulting here: I'm trying to understand why you would risk money on asset that you're actively & openly refusing to understand. The only reason XRPs are worth anything is that their value facilitates the transfer of IOUs for other assets within the ripple network, yet you're dismissing this mechanism as “rubbish” even when you've identified a use for it.

Edit: @corak has pointed out elsewhere in this thread that Ripple's (the company's) business strategy has evolved, such that movement of IOUs on the XRPL is no longer central.

Edited by Guest
Additional information from another contributor to this thread

4 minutes ago, tev said:

I'm genuinely puzzled that you're holding XRPs. Most people only hold assets that they understand. I'm not trying to be insulting here: I'm trying to understand why you would risk money on asset that you're actively & openly refusing to understand. The only reason XRPs are worth anything is that their value facilitates the transfer of IOUs for other assets within the ripple network, yet you're dismissing this mechanism as “rubbish” even when you've identified a use for it.

That's not the case actually. You will notice that Ripple's only product that makes any actual direct use of XRPL does not make ANY use of IOUs on the XRPL.

Most "payment network" type blockchains have no built-in support for IOUs and they can have nonzero worth just fine. Ripple pivoted away from using IOUs in any meaningful capacity at least two years ago. I've read articles that say the realization set in for them @ about Oct 2014.

Edited by corak

33 minutes ago, JustinS said:

Don't want to give the 24 word pneumonic, it's stored offline for a good reason.

The people whose comments were linked in my earlier post: both of them extended non-rippling trustlines to Alvor without entering their keys or seed-phrases into internet-connected computers. I don't have a hardware wallet, but I did effectively the same thing as the Ledger owners —used offline signing to extend a trustline from a cold wallet.

17 minutes ago, corak said:

Ripple's only product that makes any actual direct use of XRPL

XRapid? Thanks, I'll read up on it! My assumptions about Ripple's business strategy could well be out of date.

2 hours ago, Hodlezerper said:

Seems like a well implemented phishing strategy to me. I don't see any inherent value or use of these tokens. 

i hav that feeling as well but lets wait and c

12 hours ago, Hodlezerper said:

Seems like a well implemented phishing strategy to me. I don't see any inherent value or use of these tokens. 

Please could you elaborate on why you think Allvor has the characteristics of a phishing attempt?