Avocado Tree Time Machine

XRPto50dollars

On 21/03/2018 at 11:04 AM, XRPto50dollars said:

Edit: Here are the instructions:

We already have the Countdown Topic which counts down to 2023...

..but lets make it a little more real! Something... tangible...

LET'S EACH GROW AN AVOCADO TREE! By the time 2023 arrives, we'll have a small tree growing in the house and we'll look back and say, "Hey! That didnt take too long! I have a tree, Im rich.. nice!"

I've successfully grown dozens of trees in the house. I'll put up instructions later on how to do it.

I’m rather adept at growing avocado trees from stones.

The trouble is they eventually get to tall to keep in a pot inside the house/conservatory and rarely survive the British winter!!!!!

I need to move somewhere warmer!

9 hours ago, XRPto50dollars said:

money may not grow on trees, but people may have money from XRP by the time the avocado tree is grown.

Has anyone actually made their tree yet? or am i the only one?

..hmmmmmmmmmmmmm <_<

I’ll start one once I’m back from a short break in the UAE.

Edited by Mikhail_Liebenstein

Ok, just couldn’t resist...as I had some in the home food waste bin.

This is is the best way I’ve found to germinate. Slice off the top and bottom, place in a high sided bowl (old Charlie Binghams Pie dish is perfect) on top of damp to wet kitchen roll. Then cover with cling film.

Normally takes a few weeks to get going.

B090314F-4F3E-4D12-B6D7-B09237BA57FE.thumb.jpeg.42aa6ed35e81f29b9ba638c1b56d1dfb.jpeg5417334D-4AF3-44BA-9BB5-91C999CD0F98.thumb.jpeg.9f0eb6928466d1d49155be1c57d4d747.jpeg

On 3/30/2018 at 6:29 AM, Mikhail_Liebenstein said:

Slice off the top and bottom

..never thought of this. it would allow water to touch the seed quicker thus hastening germination!

i have found seeds to be VERY robust. once, i cut the seed in half lengthwise and it STILL grew. You just have to be sure to use the side containing the embryo

..embryo. hate that word<_<

Edited by XRPto50dollars

So many arguments in the forum at the moment...when I read the nonesense i always revert back to his thread....I haven't started my avocado tree yet (deeply disappointed face from @XRPto50dollars)

Anymore information/tips on crappy uk weather and transferring to soil when the seed sprouts enough ...apart from the obvious - move to a different country ????

20 minutes ago, No1butsum1 said:

So many arguments in the forum at the moment...when I read the nonesense i always revert back to his thread....I haven't started my avocado tree yet (deeply disappointed face from @XRPto50dollars)

Anymore information/tips on crappy uk weather and transferring to soil when the seed sprouts enough ...apart from the obvious - move to a different country ????

thats a nice comment you made. i suppose this thread can be our Thread of Avocado Solitude Togetherness.. or TOAST for short.

..cheesy, i like it <_<

well you better get that tree started soon! so far mine has made a lot of progress. actually, it has not. it looks no different than Day 1 :P

youre going to have to wait months before you can transfer it to soil. if you do it too soon, there wont be enough roots to absorb water to keep it alive. 

Edited by XRPto50dollars

seeing youre from the UK.. itll probably never survive outside. its more of a house plant. the smaller the pot, the smaller the tree. i have them all over the place. some are 5' tall, others are 12".

if your expectations were to grow it outdoors so that you could eat homegrown avocados for breakfast... POP! :blink:

the trees most people grow rarely produce fruit. 

Edited by XRPto50dollars