A chart of aggregate XRP holdings by the BearWhale

17 minutes ago, Vader-DeWelt said:

This is probably not the place for this, but I was thinking about Jed and the unfortunate situation he might be in. I understand that he did much to annoy a lot of people. However! There is a certain amount of hubris in believing so completely in your personal abilities that you tackle the sort of coding projects he does. Obviously it takes a large team of people to do well what he tries to do alone. I'm thinking of the unintentional Stellar fork, after attempting to criticize xrp consensus protocol. Also I'm thinking of those kludgie recursive mutexes that show up in rippled and probably other crypto c++ projects which make it kind of hard to track down what's going on with the multithreading/ job queue.

But someone has to stick their neck out. It's like those people who made the first trecks to the South Pole and half their team died. Someone had to do it.

That's right. Jed's a sort of Earnest Shackleton on a surfboard. Goddamn hero. They'll be naming whiskeys after him in a few decades. When we're living on Mars.

the guy may have mad dev skills, his principles and decissions are horrid. He's not a valid person who should 'run' a company, and he should know better based on his intellect.

I like his tech, I dislike him

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just cause I'm bored and I already had almost all the code I needed to generate it, here's a chart of the XRP held by the collection of accounts known as the BearWhale, originating at address raZt9CZH

Actually my thoughts exactly! Chris Larsen supposedly donated 7bn XRP to RippleWorks   1) Address that activated BW account: https://bithomp.com/explorer/rwSy4ZmW1hvpziYyeVQ35yhMTY

Update on 8/13: rH5AgjpTd6fNhTTA4ATnSpznAzsS94JjKh - 14.5M rLTsSbzhrr1MAXSWpzFBtS2bi4dFb6bpWL - 2.5M rMwhLJ8VvvZq2PsfC9PBigZY5UWDj5jpHr - 50M rJfoXNyaaWAiag3R7t9oa3UqyRa663qTrc -

Posted Images

1 hour ago, corak said:

We are talking about 3 or 4 accounts at most here. What is it if not an individual?

RE: p2p transactions, not sure what you mean, it's pretty clear the XRP is being moved into exchanges to be sold, and at a faster rate when the volume is high. 

Given the amount of kyc on Bitstamp, I would think more than one destination tag means at least two people. The p2p content was suggesting that bearwhale sold some to brotherbearwhale, then both of them took profit. It could even be as simple as a gift to babybearwhale who has his own account. In any case, thanks for tracking this stuff down. I hope they're (xrp) broke soon.

So it's safe to say we can all agree that this person(s) was already rich/well off to begin with. 3 billion XRP would have cost $30 million when XRP was valued at a penny.

The question I'm having a hard time understanding is who would invest that much money only to start dumping it at a time when Ripple/XRP is becoming more widely adopted, hence signifying the price is bound to reach the double $ digits?

My conspiratorial side leans towards this just being 1 of a few or more accounts held by BTC/ETH maximalists trying to suppress the price so it doesn't go parabolic and surpass BTC/ETH market cap. Why? Same reason everyone wants Apple, Google, and Amazon stocks. People generally prefer to throw their money at the winning team. 

I'm not sure if I agree with that theory though because it's obvious that this account soon dry up and that would put an end to their "master plan".

Perhaps it is another lesser well known co-creator of XRP who received this amount and is under different contractual rules regarding how much they're allowed to sell?

maybe various charities that chris/jed gave to? or as i said, arthur britto - or was mentioned elsewhere, someone like matthew mellon 

and wasnt that guy jesse from kraken involved in ripple somehow in the early days? or maybe even someone like Brad is selling a portion through an intermediary but i doubt it, it'd cause too much controversy in the xrp markets 

13 hours ago, tulo said:

The speculators will say it's Ripple trying to manipulate the price :)

Not such a strange thought with the R3 settlement coming up....

2 minutes ago, HodlOn said:
  13 hours ago, tulo said:

The speculators will say it's Ripple trying to manipulate the price :)

1 minute ago, HodlOn said:

Not such a strange thought with the R3 settlement coming up....

Ripple's settlement with R3 (if they lose the case) will be paid in XRP. The XRP/$ or XRP/anything is not relevant. 5BXRP = 5BXRP no matter what the exchange rate. Unless, of course, you believe Ripple will tank their own DA price for eternity?

3 minutes ago, Valhalla_Guy said:

Ripple's settlement with R3 (if they lose the case) will be paid in XRP. The XRP/$ or XRP/anything is not relevant. 5BXRP = 5BXRP no matter what the exchange rate. Unless, of course, you believe Ripple will tank their own DA price for eternity?

Unless the plan is to buy back the XRP.

Just now, Valhalla_Guy said:

Why wouldn't they settle in USD? 

Just now, tulo said:

Unless the plan is to buy back the XRP.

Yes. Then at least they have the control over those 5 bln. I can't imagine they will let R3 dump them on the market. Or even let R3 put those 5 bln in some escrow. 

Ripple wants those XRP back. It will probably be a settlement before mediators. In USD.

1 minute ago, Valhalla_Guy said:

Because R3 gets to choose, not Ripple. This case will not settle soon. Your logic requires Ripple to continue exchanging all of it's XRP to avoid paying 5B next year?

I do not believe that R3 will win outright. Ripple will buy those XRP from R3. They just need to agree on the price.