XRPL Memo Field – Have Idea, Need Advice

I'm not a programmer or even very technical, so this might be ludicrous... but I'm curious about the XRPL's Memo Field for communicating certain data. I realize there's a 1kb data limit. That's fine. But, the main obstacle for creating e.g. an app where you need a Memo for each transaction seems to be that "normal" Ripple users (dummies like me), afaict either don't know how/where to add this field in and/or do not have access to a wallet that has this feature. Many online/offline wallets do seem to have a destination tag or other fields, but I need specifically a memo field for the idea I have.

So... how difficult would it be for a developer to create an app/wallet that allows very simple payments (e.g. only in XRP) that allows for the memo field to be filled in?

Pardon my technical ignorance. Many thanks.

zd

15 minutes ago, zerpdigger said:

So... how difficult would it be for a developer to create an app/wallet that allows very simple payments (e.g. only in XRP) that allows for the memo field to be filled in?

Harbor wallet over at Secure Block Chains has the memo field in for transactions or escrows. 

https://www.secureblockchains.com/

Just now, MaxEntropy said:

It is now reserved for X.500 Directory addresses.

oh really? not sure what these directory addresses are, can you explain?

When you're creating your transaction, the Memo field is optional and a simple addition to the transaction data array. In other words, if you're already creating some kind of wallet or transaction signing app, the Memo field is not a problem to add.

Edited by Guest
Typo

20 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

Memo Field is NOT available to 3rd party developers. 

It is now reserved for X.500 Directory addresses.

:-)

This is not correct, neither the "not available" part nor the x500 one.

Please don't spread misinformation. I would also not call someone with 2.7k posts here "newbie"...

Edited by Sukrim

On 20/03/2018 at 3:56 PM, tomxcs said:

When you're creating your transaction, the Memo field is optional and a simple addition transaction array. In other words, if you're already creating some kind of wallet or transaction signing app, the Memo field is not a problem to add.

20 hours ago, Sukrim said:

This is not correct, neither the "not available" part nor the x500 one.

thank you both

On 3/20/2018 at 3:22 PM, zerpdigger said:

It's trivial. Only it doesn't have a real specific usage nowadays, so standard wallets don't use that field.