Why does the value of Ripple (XRP) have to change? Why is it worth more than a common postage stamp?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holding XRP is somewhat like holding a zero coupon bond that pays out in around 100,000 XRPL transactions (not considering fee escalation reducing that #)  As XRPL is plugged into more and more c

Listen to Greg Kidd use the postage stamp analogy, just before 7:00. I have also used this since the early days, and the reason for WHY? is the basis for Utility Value. Just like a postage stamp

At mark 6:30 Greg Kidd uses my postage stamp analogy.  I'm pretty sure I was the first to make the postage stamp analogy. With the wallet being the mailbox, Gatewayd being the post offi

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Honest_Bob said:

Sorry Dogowner5, didn't mean to offend.

Not a problem.  I was just surprised to be considered panicking,  I didn’t respond well.

Its off the topic so I will say no more...  but everyone knows someone older who is at higher risk and even younger people are dying, so it’s not cause for panic but definitely for concern.   Also the death rate climbs if health services are overwhelmed with numbers,  so slowing the spread is sensible.
 https://www.businessinsider.com.au/coronavirus-death-age-older-people-higher-risk-2020-2?r=US&IR=T

5 hours ago, xerxesramesepolybius said:

don’t know how the topic got onto this but please look at reputable sources only

WHO, NHS, CDC

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

Don’t try to be an online expert and advise. 

Actually I'm a research scientist in the pharmaceutical industry, so please don't assume I'm not an expert.

Re the WHO report, have you read it? It fully supports my claims. Let me quote from it...

"Most people infected with COVID-19 virus have mild disease and recover. Approximately 80% of laboratory confirmed patients have had mild to moderate disease, which includes
non-pneumonia and pneumonia cases, 13.8% have severe disease (dyspnea, respiratory frequency ≥30/minute, blood oxygen saturation ≤93%, PaO2/FiO2 ratio <300, and/or lung infiltrates >50% of the lung field within 24-48 hours) and 6.1% are critical (respiratory failure, septic shock, and/or multiple organ dysfunction/failure). Asymptomatic infection has been reported, but the majority of the relatively rare cases who are asymptomatic on the date of identification/report went on to develop disease. The proportion of truly asymptomatic infections is unclear but appears to be relatively rare and does not appear to be a major driver of transmission.
Individuals at highest risk for severe disease and death include people aged over 60 years and those with underlying conditions such as hypertension, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, chronic respiratory disease and cancer. Disease in children appears to be relatively rare and mild with approximately 2.4% of the total reported cases reported amongst  
individuals aged under 19 years."

But my post is about shares, not COVID-19. Let's not get distracted by the science. All I'm saying is: don't panic. Surely you can't tell me that's bad advice.

On 3/18/2018 at 8:43 PM, Honest_Bob said:

It's too risky for me at my age (retired).

Actually I'm a research scientist in the pharmaceutical industry, so please don't assume I'm not an expert.

I know one thing you're not an expert at!

1 hour ago, StrangeDays said:

I know one thing you're not an expert at!

Oh dear, now you're trying to attack my credibility. Boo hoo, how will I go on??

But your case is weak and in fact has no basis in reality. I am a retired pharmaceutical research scientist with a research-based masters degree!! You seem to think this isn't possible, but I am living proof that it is.

And I've just been offered 2 senior jobs in the pharmaceutical industry (one of which involves research on cannabinoids) so I'm considering coming out of retirement.

But none of this is relevant to anything, is it?  So why do you bring it up??

29 minutes ago, Honest_Bob said:

one of which involves research on cannabinoids) so I'm considering coming out of retirement

Good call honest Bob , a great industry to put your expertise in to . Also side note there are many trolls lurking in here , tucked up with no life experiences in their mums basement looking to drag down honest people like yourself . You do not have to justify yourself to anyone. 

5 hours ago, Honest_Bob said:

Oh dear, now you're trying to attack my credibility. Boo hoo, how will I go on??

But your case is weak and in fact has no basis in reality. I am a retired pharmaceutical research scientist with a research-based masters degree!! You seem to think this isn't possible, but I am living proof that it is.

And I've just been offered 2 senior jobs in the pharmaceutical industry (one of which involves research on cannabinoids) so I'm considering coming out of retirement.

But none of this is relevant to anything, is it?  So why do you bring it up??

I have not attacked your credibility. You've done that all by yourself.
If you're retired then you are not a research scientist in the pharmaceutical industry as you claim, regardless of what you've done in the past or what you may do in the future. It's as simple as that.
For someone with a 'research-based masters degree' as you claim, you seem to have great difficulty understanding XRP, what it does and how it works.
Nearly every post of yours reeks of BS and trolling and judging by the comments of others it seems there are some here who would agree with me.
By the way, I do hope that you, I and your good doctor do not contract the corona virus as all three of us are in the very age group that should be the most concerned about it. Your comments on that matter are rather irresponsible.

research degreeresearch degree

4 hours ago, Truckdriver said:

Good call honest Bob , a great industry to put your expertise in to . Also side note there are many trolls lurking in here , tucked up with no life experiences in their mums basement looking to drag down honest people like yourself . You do not have to justify yourself to anyone. 

I'm rather surprised to see this coming from you Truckdriver. I've always enjoyed your posts and found them well thought out and rational.
Have you read the entire thread? If you haven't you should and if you have you should reread it.
And you are right, there are many trolls in here. I'm surprised you been so easily taken in by one.

3 minutes ago, StrangeDays said:

research degreeresearch degree

I'm rather surprised to see this coming from you Truckdriver. I've always enjoyed your posts and found them well thought out and rational.
Have you read the entire thread? If you haven't you should and if you have you should reread it.
And you are right, there are many trolls in here. I'm surprised you been so easily taken in by one.

i haven't read it , i will tomorrow

my comment still stands about justifying yourself to others , this space has become less attractive to be in , i'm easily taken for sure but weary as well " just Registered "  if you're genuine please don't be offended    

14 minutes ago, StrangeDays said:

I have not attacked your credibility. You've done that all by yourself.
If you're retired then you are not a research scientist in the pharmaceutical industry as you claim, regardless of what you've done in the past or what you may do in the future. It's as simple as that.
For someone with a 'research-based masters degree' as you claim, you seem to have great difficulty understanding XRP, what it does and how it works.
Nearly every post of yours reeks of BS and trolling and judging by the comments of others it seems there are some here who would agree with me.
By the way, I do hope that you, I and your good doctor do not contract the corona virus as all three of us are in the very age group that should be the most concerned about it. Your comments on that matter are rather irresponsible.

Hi Strangedays, clearly we have got off on the wrong foot. I don't know why you feel the need to attack me when all I'm saying is that we shouldn't panic and it's a good time to buy shares. Why are you questioning my employment status? It's not relevant to my opinions or comments. If you don't agree with me because you think it's a bad time to buy shares, that's okay. But not agreeing with me just because I say I'm retired and I'm a research scientist makes no sense. Can we please stick to the topic - which is not my employment status.

And I do understand XRP - it's an asset with value - like a postage stamp. People have told me that the value (or price) of XRP must be high and will be high because it has to be high for the system to work. If you read my posts, you will see that I disagree with this. I won't repeat myself now.

And how can you say that my advice on the virus is irresponsible when I recommend frequent hand washing, not touching the face, avoiding crowds and self isolating after exposure. All I'm saying is "don't panic" when considering your investments. Is this a bad thing in your eyes?  Do you think we should panic?  To be honest, I have no idea what your message is or what you are trying to say, if anything. I think you just enjoy attacking people, including Truckdriver. Please stop. We don't need this. It helps no-one.

41 minutes ago, Honest_Bob said:

And how can you say that my advice on the virus is irresponsible when I recommend frequent hand washing, not touching the face, avoiding crowds and self isolating after exposure.

Sensible advice but please moderators close this thread and please people go to the reputable sources of information.

i am sorry @Honest_Bob any anonymous person can claim to be anything they like to attempt to establish “ argumentum ab auctoritate” in a forum like this with no way of checking. And lets be frank this is a crypto forum, a sector that has attracted vast numbers of paid shills, narcissists, paid Fudsters, and instant experts who don’t just lie, get facts wrong etc but do not even understand the basics of banking, technology or economics. Its terrible how many people will lose money because of wrong or dishonest advice about crypto but can we try to direct people to better sources of information about something that can kill.

1 hour ago, Honest_Bob said:

And I do understand XRP - it's an asset with value - like a postage stamp. People have told me that the value (or price) of XRP must be high and will be high because it has to be high for the system to work. If you read my posts, you will see that I disagree with this. I won't repeat myself now.

Those people telling you the price needs to be high are getting ahead of themselves. To support 5 trillion a day, price would obviously have to be higher. Presently, to support the current volume, peanuts are sufficient.

Demand outweighing the current supply is a while off yet. But when/if that happens, price will increase.

All you can do is wait and see. We’ll all probably be cashing out into a speculative rise long before demand outweighs supply.

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2018 at 6:06 AM, Honest_Bob said:

I was taught on this forum that XRP must be highly priced to enable it to function (to accommodate huge daily flows of money when Ripple replaces SWIFT) and that the price would rise over time. I was ridiculed for my comments & ideas and accused of FUD. But, if I was wrong, why is the price falling rapidly with ever diminishing peaks and diminishing volumes?  Is there really a clever plan (or conspiracy) by financial institutions who are manipulating the market to get it cheaper before it takes off?  No, I don't think so. I predict XRP will fall below 10 cents by the end of the year. Let's see who's right.

PS. I don't want people to lose money by gambling with XRP. It will ruin lives. The house always wins!  So I'm trying to be the voice of reason. But gamblers never listen - it's an addiction - so I'm sure you'll continue to ignore me. But at least I tried.

Cheers, Bob 

I was wrong. You win.