RedRocket

How long are you willing to hold it the price stays under $1.00

If I knew for certain at this moment that it will be stagnant for years then I would sell right now. 

For me the next 18 months will be crucial. If no progress is shown round summer 2019 I think I will move on.  But I honestly think we’re in for big surprises in 2018, so I still have a lot of confidence.

Ripple have failed as a company if they can't drive the price of XRP higher long-term. It's fundamentally important in order to meet transaction and liquidity requirements on a larger scale. Considering xRapid is still in beta, and multiple big players are still piloting the product, it's crystal clear to me that this is only a matter of time. And we're going to see huge jumps in 2018 based on full-scale implementation happening plus many other factors going our way.  (WU, Fleetcor, Moneygram just to mention a few) 

Let's see what happens after G20 concludes; it will define 2018 and the road ahead. (Remember that Ripple has close ties to regulators, and works within the exisiting financial system itself) 

I don't see the point in selling unless there's a black swan event that happens to Ripple that renders XRP useless and without a future.   While there's still hope for XRP's price to climb past $1, there's no point in selling unless you over-invested and need the money.

Edited by 2ndtimearound

I sold when XRP was lingering around 30cents for a while last year and then missed on on the jumps to $1,2 and 3. Slowly bought myself back in using a bit of dollar cost averaging (around 0.8 cents average). I'm deep in the red now, but still plan to hold for 2-5 years. Why?

- I still made a profit overall. I only consider my very initial investment real money I put in. That, I can still afford to loose entirely without doubting myself in case  XRP doesn't scale 
- I'm way too curious for the next years, and still believe in the utility. Everybody is talking about it in the traditional financial sectors. The blockchain topic is present on a daily base and it interest and initiatives will only grow. 

- Everybody here is aware how strong Ripple's team is, the have a high quality and tangible product, are working with regulators and banks, there is a clear value proposition for XRP (vostro nostro). How will that ever go away in the next 2-5 years? I see a lot of R3 pilots all over the place, but Ripple's software is ready for production! Big time to market advantage for XRP imo.

- I recently got Ledger S. Such a little device has the potential to store  and transfer without friction (when markets grow and liquidity increases) unlimited value (technically it doesnt as its on the blockchain) How will digital assets not be the future? 

- Recently discussed the liquidity advantage using XRP vs. the volatility of XRP with a friend in detail. There are apparently Ripple incentives that could support FIs dealing with this problem (e.g. if the XRP drops under the FI's buy price, they somehow get compensated). But even if these initial incentives didnt exist, we concluded that the unlocking massive amounts of liquidity and putting it to work (means having less in-flight (unsettled) transactions vs. more & faster settlements in a given period) has far higher utility than XRP's volatility risks against FIAT. 

- I wont make the same mistake again. Big zerpning events happen out of the blue. In that case: Better be long than sorry :).

- I wish merchants would start accepting XRP them to realize the credit card companies are ripping them off with their 2% fee. Hopefully with the rise of cryptobanks, we will see more cryptocurrency acceptance at the point of sale level.  I realize it is not the primary use-case for XRP now, but there is such a strong utility for it,  so why not :)

Edited by rippler_2

Unless you thought it would fail completely or you needed the money,  pulling out would be an invitation to the market to zoom.  Leaving you back at the station having to buy in later and higher.

It might not rise....   but that seems less and less likely to me given the steady stream of good news.  Even the crypto market bad news is ultimately good for XRP.

So if you are not a professional trader your other options are exit and buy some other coin...  Which one? Or exit and get into traditional markets...   good luck with that trying to get these returns...

So if it pauses for a few years, unless everyone at Ripple has thrown in the towel, I certainly won't be.

1 hour ago, MatinMontreal said:

I have no plans to cash out.  This is a retirement investment. And I’m still up over 300% from last fall.

Better than I could do in the stock market over almost a twenty year period!

Couldn't have said it better

1 hour ago, 2ndtimearound said:

I don't see the point in selling unless there's a black swan event that happens to Ripple that renders XRP useless and without a future.   While there's still hope for XRP's price to climb past $1, there's no point in selling unless you over-invested and need the money.

Sure there is. If you think the money you have now in XRP would get a better return somewhere else, move it. The fact that you might have to sell at a loss is irrelevant. 

Edited by ringer2

If it stays under a dollar all year (which it wont) I would probably forget about it. I will only sell if it's a life changing amount. Anything less than life changing is just a wasted effort on my part.

43 minutes ago, ringer2 said:

Sure there is. If you think the money you have now in XRP would get a better return somewhere else, move it. The fact that you might have to sell at a loss is irrelevant. 

But why would anyone think that? :D

2 hours ago, jasil said:

Its not Ripple I'm watching it's the volume in the market. Currently we are trading 7-9 billion a day if this drops to 4-5 billion a day and stays there for any length of time I will exit crypto. 

Current volume is irrelevant in terms of long term success and value of XRP. If Ripple are successful, we won't need a single speculative investor to be holding.