SomeGuyXRP

The Great XRP CHAT Politics and Religion Discussion!

13 minutes ago, knuckledragger said:

You are born into religion. Geography determines what God you believe in.  I was raised Catholic until my parents let me decide for myself. Then reality set in pretty quickly.

I was born into Catholicism as well, went to catholic school my whole life, and then determined that it wasn't for me as an adult. Too rigid a belief system for my tastes and some of the churches values don't align with my own. I was atheist/agnostic for most of my life until i discovered psychedelics 4 years ago. I've had experiences on LSD, Mushrooms, Ayahuasca, DMT, and Peyote that have led me to believe there is something larger than myself. I don't believe that any particular religion has a stranglehold on the Truth, but I do find that there are common themes across all the worlds religions. I don't think our human brains are really capable of understanding what a higher level of existence could really be, and I'm OK with just letting the mystery be. I have a deep respect for the worlds religious traditions, but I'd probably label my own beliefs as "eclectic" today.

I admire the life of Jesus and Buddha on the same level that I admire the works of Dr. Martin Luther king and Ghandi. Not as deities, but as visionaries who saw something beyond their own lives and tried to set humanity on a more positive course. What is immortality if not being remembered beyond your physical existence? What deeds will you be remembered for? Who will remember you, and for how long will your name be uttered on earth?

I'm humble enough to know that most of my ideas are just that, my own idea's. I'm more than likely wrong about many of them.

Edited by SomeGuyXRP

10 minutes ago, Coin_Hound said:

Interesting.

I'd say I'm an agnostic in the sense that none of us will know the truth until we die. Whether that truth is eternal bliss, eternal damnation or eternal nothingness, it's impossible to say.

But, I'm an atheist in the sense that I think most religions are bogus. Early man had no answers for hard questions so they made up stories and mythical beings to help them understand things. But, over time, these beliefs were twisted and contorted over time by those in power as a means to influence and control the masses through fear of punishment or promises of something better in the next life.

I agree that most religions have been twisted to influence and control other humans, its really sad to see the things that are done in the name of religion over the millennia. Most if not all of them have lost the spark that ignited them. There is still something at the core, however, that I think gets lost in the haze. For me personally, it all boils down to Love/Hate. At every junction, I have a choice in how to engage with the world. 

Edited by SomeGuyXRP

24 minutes ago, Coin_Hound said:

As an avid atheist I'd say it's more a lack of belief. Semantics really.  

To get this thread jumping I'll say atheists might not be right in thinking there is no god, but the thousands and thousands of religions and Gods that Man "created" can't all be right either. :) 

There has been something like 10,000 or more religions around the world throughout history, so the chances somebody picks the correct one are not very good. 

The underlying sentiment to this which tantalizes my brain, is that billions of people over the course of all of existence have always been drawn to worship. 

regardless of their human origin, the common theme across the history of mankind is divine creation and worship of an omnipotent being. 

3 minutes ago, SomeGuyXRP said:

I agree that most religions have been twisted to influence and control other humans, its really sad to see the things that are done in the name of religion over the millennia. Most if not all of them have lost the spark that ignited them.

This is exactly the problem I have with religion in general. Too much atrocities have been commited in the name of religion for me to take any religion seriously. I mainly see it as a means to control people. The level of brainwashing is astonishing. One of the reasons I believe children should be given the right to choose their religion after the age of eighteen and not be subjected to the dogmas of religion before that.

Also, regarding politics:

I would have had no problem having Obama in my house for a beer and a BBQ. I think he was a neat person but a horrible inexperienced president who should never have been elected into his position with basically zero prior experience in anything relevant to his job whatsoever.  I commend him for 2 drone moves he pulled during his presidency, but think that he completely screwed the pooch on basic economics, taxes, over extension of government control in creating protected land, and obviously the not so affordable health care act that tripled the price of health care during his administration ( by increasing demand and shrinking supply. basic econ 101).

Trump on the other hand, I would never have in my house. I do not think he's a gentleman and I would not want him around my wife. On the other hand I think he is the best president that we have seen in decades. I think that our strong economy right now is a direct response to that. I believe that he can keep us out of war with NK and possibly see the disarming of NK (NK disarmed their nukes during the Bush administration then rearmed during Obama because lets face it, nobody feared Obama). I think that Trumps approach on tariffs and many other hot topics seem "scary" but are actually genius negotiation tactics.  He went in looking for 25% corporate tax cuts and what did he get? 15%. It was a boon for American companies. Even our small business with 60 employees felt relief from it. He's a master negotiator and always asks for double what he wants knowing he'll settle and end up winning the "compromise".

Obama > nice > bad president

Trump > don't like him, didn't vote for him > glad he is president. 

that's really about all I have to say about politics. That and I oppose 95% of most gun control arguments I have seen. I would definitely consider that improvements could be made, but I haven't been impressed by anything I've seen so far. I grew up hunting and fishing and developing an appreciation an respect for the land, the animals, the ecosystem, guns, and home defense. majority of the gun crimes I've seen have come from people without this history in their blood. 

Everybody believes in something they can't explain. Religion is not science. I do have my opinions on religions but don't care much for what people believe, as long as they stick to the golden rules of civilization. I dislike zealots, but that's not limited to religion. And I make a convenient exception for all things about Ripple.:smoke:

2 minutes ago, RegalChicken said:

Trump on the other hand, I would never have in my house. I do not think he's a gentleman and I would not want him around my wife. On the other hand I think he is the best president that we have seen in decades. I think that our strong economy right now is a direct response to that. I believe that he can keep us out of war with NK and possibly see the disarming of NK (NK disarmed their nukes during the Bush administration then rearmed during Obama because lets face it, nobody feared Obama). I think that Trumps approach on tariffs and many other hot topics seem "scary" but are actually genius negotiation tactics.  He went in looking for 25% corporate tax cuts and what did he get? 15%. It was a boon for American companies. Even our small business with 60 employees felt relief from it. He's a master negotiator and always asks for double what he wants knowing he'll settle and end up winning the "compromise".

What I enjoy about Trump is that he is ready to force certain European countries to make the NATO-spending target. It's a weird world where Trump needs to threaten with tariffs to make Europeans take responsibility. 

15 minutes ago, RegalChicken said:

I think that our strong economy right now is a direct response to that. I

I'd have to say I disagree with this. Any legislative changes made don't immediately affect the economy and I'd argue the economy we're living in today is a direct result of the reforms enacted during the Obama admin. Its easy to take an economy that was in an uptrend already and then take credit for it. We won't know the true effect of Trumps policies for another 4-5 years IMO. I'm a registered independent, so i don't swing for either side. I don't like trump very much at all, but he is the president and I'm willing to give him a chance. Time will tell.

Jobs (U.S. Dept of Labor)

image.png.f67db2c181990b3f2bd3c7ebefad409b.png

Edited by SomeGuyXRP

I'd bet my Zerps that history will show Trump will be one of the worst Presidents in American history.  I would list the reasons why I believe this, but I'm sure there is a character limit on this post that I would easily surpass. 

The one thing I will say is Trump pretends to be a great business man and deal maker, ect, but that is all BS and he is a fake on this like so many other things.

Trump has had dozens and dozens of failed businesses over the years and has filed for bankruptcy several times. The ONLY reason he isn't living in a gutter somewhere is because he invested in real estate, something only possible because of a large handout from his daddy. Even as stupid as he is, it would be next to impossible to lose money buying real estate around NY and NJ when he bought it. 

Almost everything else he has tried to do has failed. I'm pretty sure his presidency will be next. 

Edited by Coin_Hound

2 hours ago, SomeGuyXRP said:

Seems like a lot of our members keep diving into politics and religion in threads where it's not appropriate, so I figured that maybe we should have an outlet for members to express their political/religious opinions. PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL IN HERE!

I like the idea of this Thread @SomeGuyXRP everytime a discussion like this arise one can refer to this post.
Politics is not anything that I am especially interested in, as long as it does not affect the DA Market. (Poltics  is also most US domestic related in the chat)
Religion. I am not a religous person. I believe that there is good and bad in everyone.

A somewhat fun remark. I did a test once on a website to determine what was to be my religion if I where religous.
It turned out that I was most likely to be a Hindu. Fun for a Swede to get that outcome. So I studied a bit on hinduism. Fact is I kind of liked it.
Hinduism also most hold the absolute record in Gods  - 33 Million Gods to worship. (I do not know if that number is true, got it from Huffington Post.

Edited by zenkert

1 hour ago, bachmama said:

I do believe in Physics. Only. Provable 100%. Outside Physics nothing exists

Do you believe George Washington was real?  If you do then at least you have faith, because there is no physical evidence, only testimony, and writings.

(taking a big bite, and swallowing the hook :D)

I read a short excerpt, from a Princeton university debate- The argument was made that God, as a total creator cannot exist; because it would require God to create both Good and Evil. This would be illogical if God is pure 'Good'

A very strong (imo) response went something like this:

There is no such thing as Cold. Physics can only measure heat. Heat is energy. Absolute 0 means a "Zero energy state"  and you cannot "add more cold."   Cold is what you are left with when you have no heat.

There is no such thing as dark. Physics can only measure light. Light is energy. Once all light has been removed, there is nothing left to measure, and you cannot "add dark"  Dark is simply the absence of all light.

Finally, there is no such thing as Evil. Evil is simply the absence of Good. God created Energy and Good. We are thankful for it.

(Paraphrased and credited to Albert Einstein during his tenure at Princeton)

Honestly, I prefer talking politics over religion. I read a bumper sticker once that said : "Jesus please protect and save me from your followers!" That is a closer statement to my personal point of view.

6 hours ago, RegalChicken said:

God bless America.

There, I think I've said it all. 

<flame On>

right. but America has to Bless God as well.. which from the looks of it... they, as a country... dont. God isnt going to just randomly bless a country when that country keeps moving further and further away from religion.

Recent, public, mainstream radio discussion: "Why the Bible is wrong"

..i wonder what form of outcry / uprising / chaos would ensue if the same conversation was changed to, "Why homosexuality is wrong"

5 hours ago, Coin_Hound said:

Early man had no answers for hard questions so they made up stories and mythical beings to help them understand things.

and scientists cant explain much of anything either so they make up particles called God particles. 

Edited by MegaNerd

2 minutes ago, MegaNerd said:

and scientists cant explain much of anything either so they make up particles called God particles. 

I think you will find that scientists can explain quite a lot of things actually, but religion isn't one of them, it defies all logic.