SomeGuyXRP

The Great XRP CHAT Politics and Religion Discussion!

Seems like a lot of our members keep diving into politics and religion in threads where it's not appropriate, so I figured that maybe we should have an outlet for members to express their political/religious opinions. PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL IN HERE! We all come from divergent histories and socioeconomic backgrounds, respect that some of us have had very different life experiences that lead us to perceive the world differently. My grandfather used to have family debates on Sundays before he died, and sometimes those debates got HEATED. At the end though, we all shook hands, hugged each other, and agreed to disagree. A debate should be to see if our own idea's stand up to scrutiny, not to demolish someone else's views. If you believe something, state why you believe it to be so instead of espousing as fact.

Mods, if this isn't allowed, delete this post please!

15 minutes ago, bachmama said:

Are Atheists allowed?

Don't see why not, being an Athiest is still a belief like any other belief system. You can argue why you hold that particular belief.

Philippians 4:13

“I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”

Corinthians 13: 4-7

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.”

Two of my favorite passages, that I should probably tattoo across my chest to as remind myself to not be a douche more often. 

10 minutes ago, SomeGuyXRP said:

Don't see why not, being an Athiest is still a belief like any other belief system. You can argue why you hold that particular belief.

I do believe in Physics. Only. Provable 100%. Outside Physics nothing exists. What cannot be explained so far, is physics not understood so far :) Here u go.

6 minutes ago, SomeGuyXRP said:

As an avid atheist I'd say it's more a lack of belief. Semantics really.  

To get this thread jumping I'll say atheists might not be right in thinking there is no god, but the thousands and thousands of religions and Gods that Man "created" can't all be right either. :) 

There has been something like 10,000 or more religions around the world throughout history, so the chances somebody picks the correct one are not very good. 

1 minute ago, Coin_Hound said:

As an avid atheist I'd say it's more a lack of belief. Semantics really.  

To get this thread jumping I'll say atheists might not be right in thinking there is no god, but the thousands and thousands of religions and Gods that Man "created" can't all be right either. :) 

There has been something like 10,000 or more religions around the world throughout history, so the chances somebody picks the correct one are not very good. 

I'd argue that agnosticism is closer to non-belief than atheism is. An atheist has to believe the non-existence of a superior entity, which means you ardently believe something that is not provable, equal to any other religion IMO. An agnostic does not subscribe to either belief system, recognizing only death will reveal the mysteries of this universe.

Can you be an atheist and still believe that the planet is a conscious being? Do the trillions of cells in my body recognize that they are part of a larger being with its own thoughts and desires? Why is the matter that I inhabit conscious of its own existence?

12 minutes ago, SomeGuyXRP said:

I'd argue that agnosticism is closer to non-belief than atheism is. An atheist has to believe the non-existence of a superior entity, which means you ardently believe something that is not provable, equal to any other religion IMO. An agnostic does not subscribe to either belief system, recognizing only death will reveal the mysteries of this universe.

Can you be an atheist and still believe that the planet is a conscious being? Do the trillions of cells in my body recognize that they are part of a larger being with its own thoughts and desires? Why is the matter that I inhabit conscious of its own existence?

Interesting.

I'd say I'm an agnostic in the sense that none of us will know the truth until we die. Whether that truth is eternal bliss, eternal damnation or eternal nothingness, it's impossible to say.

But, I'm an atheist in the sense that I think most religions are bogus. Early man had no answers for hard questions so they made up stories and mythical beings to help them understand things. But these beliefs were twisted and contorted over time by those in power as a means to influence and control the masses through fear of punishment or promises of something better in the next life.

Edited by Coin_Hound