The Real-World Potential of Ripple

I liked the reference to xPool. There's a lot of speculation about exactly what the plans may be for this, but I hope it is as he says. It will be a great day when holders of XRP can earn income from their XRP without needing to exchange it for anything. 

"There is another product which is being developed by Ripple called xPool. There is not much known about xPool, but it is speculated that it will be built upon a liquidity providing service for XRP. Banks, institutions, business, and individuals who own XRP can invest those digital assets in xPool. The liquidity required to complete a growing volume of XRP transactions can come from xPool, as xCurrent and xRapid withdraw and deposit XRP from xPool on a second by second basis. Those who own the XRP invested in xPool can increase the value of their investment through transaction fees and interest on interledger lending."

19 minutes ago, CrossingtheRubicon said:

I liked the reference to xPool. There's a lot of speculation about exactly what the plans may be for this, but I hope it is as he says. It will be a great day when holders of XRP can earn income from their XRP without needing to exchange it for anything. 

"There is another product which is being developed by Ripple called xPool. There is not much known about xPool, but it is speculated that it will be built upon a liquidity providing service for XRP. Banks, institutions, business, and individuals who own XRP can invest those digital assets in xPool. The liquidity required to complete a growing volume of XRP transactions can come from xPool, as xCurrent and xRapid withdraw and deposit XRP from xPool on a second by second basis. Those who own the XRP invested in xPool can increase the value of their investment through transaction fees and interest on interledger lending."

Thanks! I've never heard that theory before. I've always figured it would have something to do with providing liquidity but never realised it could potentially include individual investors who hold XRP and provide a type of earned interest from those investments. Very interesting :good:

This one's a keeper!!!

"There are some who suggest that the valuation of XRP is volatile and could never be used for this purpose, as the banks holdings of XRP would be exposed to massive losses if the asset dropped in value. The problem with this is that the banks would not have to hold XRP. Bank A would convert domestic fiat into XRP and a transaction would take place over the Ripple network in 3 seconds. Bank B would receive the XRP and convert it into their own domestic currency. The full transaction would take 3 to 5 seconds with minimal exposure to price volatility."

"Another argument against Ripple is that the blockchain ledger is centralized, and as such, is not a true cryptocurrency. This is a gross mischaracterization of the facts. Ripple is in the process of expanding its blockchain nodes which validate each transaction. Before 2018 the Ripple ledger will be more decentralized than Bitcoin. This means that as more banks and business use the Ripple network and XRP, not only will the network be able to handle all of the volume in just seconds, with extremely low fees, but it will also be the most decentralized blockchain in the world. This is important because it will prevent any one institution, government, or person, from gaining dominance or leverage over the system."

There is a lot of technical information available on the Ripple network and XRP. This article is not intended to be a technical paper, but it should be noted that XRP and the Ripple ledger can process over 70,000 transactions per second. This is unmatched by any other crypto asset and can be scalable even further.

If I recall correctly, this is not the native speed of the XRP ledger, but a theoretical max. using off-ledger payment channels.  I haven't had coffee yet, so I am too lazy right now to double-check this - just some vague memory.

1 hour ago, John_Buh said:

There is a lot of technical information available on the Ripple network and XRP. This article is not intended to be a technical paper, but it should be noted that XRP and the Ripple ledger can process over 70,000 transactions per second. This is unmatched by any other crypto asset and can be scalable even further.

If I recall correctly, this is not the native speed of the XRP ledger, but a theoretical max. using off-ledger payment channels.  I haven't had coffee yet, so I am too lazy right now to double-check this - just some vague memory.

He wasnt stating that was the native speed, merely that 70k tps has been tested? Later Ripple started advertising with the 50k tps number since that is more or less equal to VISA.