Planning Ripples Future Ater JoelKatz

Mercury

After reading @Hodor latest blog and the videos linked therein I started to wonder about something important.

@JoelKatz, the star or chief presenter of several of those videos, has arguably being one of the biggest contributors to the ripple protocol, Ripple the company and the Ripple community.

David has been stepping back a little from Ripple, first from the Ripple board, day-to-day operations and other key positions. This has been done as Ripple expands and no doubt strategic business decisions were a factor, but he has also stated he is slowing down a little (which as a workaholic means putting in a regular persons full time hours I suspect) and it is not impossible to assume that retirement or at least further time commitment reductions are in the planning.

I am sure Ripple already has succession plans in place, but I for one would have more peace in mind in having some inkling of who is tagged to take up Davids mantel- not only as Chief Cryptographer, but also the list of sundry positions- fud buster, techno voucher (on the various boards, panels, and expert presentations- see the CC conventions, crypto papers and more), community outreach (how many times has David cheerfully and more important- PATIENTLY- explained the same thing over and over and over and over again...) and general Ripple cheerleader (recent social profile and Ripple promotion increase).

We as a community would lose that exciting and important link to Ripple (not to take away from the other Ripple employees that drop by), the person who was there from the beginning and could talk about the old days (the good and the bad), worked with both CEOs and all the founders. David is very approachable (even shows up for meetup drinks), has an amazing dry wit, and his steadying presence has been a major balm for the sometimes edgy and nervous community.

Now I feel like I am writing an obituary- I am sure David will be around for a while and never really give up working for Ripple- but I am curious who the next 'wonder-whiz' Ripple has in store... 

Obviously I don't know David outside of what I've seen and read from his frequent interactions with the Crypto community. But, I have met a lot of bright, genius types (mostly in the scientific community) and I have a sneaking suspicion that David might have one of those "die at his desk" mentalities. Meaning, he loves a challenge, and is only happy when his turbo-powered brain is racing to find the solution to a problem. I don't think he is the type of person that would be happy retiring on a beach somewhere. Of course I could be wrong, only David knows for sure.

I think Ripple has a lot of talent and someone from that all star team will be able to take the torch from David and carry on. If, of course, David ever gives it up in the first place. :)

Edited by Coin_Hound

9 minutes ago, Hodor said:

Well, I hope that @JoelKatz is simply pursuing a more healthy life-work balance now that his creation has a life of its own.  And rightly so - he deserves it X 10. 

But you're right in asking the question - is there anybody else with his knowledge?  I think there might be some in the works at Ripple that have some shadow of his knowledge - I can think of several interesting names, but I don't think I'll throw them out here because then it might turn the flavor of this thread into a cross-examination of individuals, which I will not participate in. 

Instead, I hope that @JoelKatz's career #2 is to be a commentator on the new global payments infrastructure.  Maybe $100K per speaking engagement would be enough to keep him around - like how ex-presidents do it! 

Agreed- was more thinking that there would have to be a whole team to do what David single handily does :P I too am not looking for a cross-examination of skilled individuals.

Then again maybe David will start a second career as statistician for the Warriors

3 minutes ago, Graine said:

The title of this topic makes me nervous. Similar to when Katz decided to resign from the board. 
But it's probably for the better, since there's not much 'architecting' left to do. 

Hmmm... the title is a bit alarming/ click baiting isn't it? Is that better?

True, one of the reason David left the board was a business decision to allow the next stage of rollout.

I don't think he will ever really "leave"... but definitely not until everything is with his baby is complete enough to progress without him there... Either way I am certain that a company like Ripple has some sort of succession plans - they just don't tend to tell us everything.

On a side note, personally I love how when you see the link for Hodor's blog on this page you see Snoopy throwing hearts... Sorry @Hodor :lol:

6 minutes ago, Mercury said:

Hmmm... the title is a bit alarming/ click baiting isn't it? Is that better?

It's my 'separation issues', if you could call it like that. Lord Katz was kind enough to hang out with us. So in my mind I often linked him and Ripple. The more the 'oldies' move on, the more estranged Ripple as the company will become to us. 

11 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Ripple will sell itself this year to a tech giant

They didn't sell out to Stripe for a million or two. I don't think they'd go for anything than their xrp value, after tasting the paper billions. Especially once the partnership with the banks allowing to pawn xrp for fiat goes online. 

1 minute ago, Graine said:

It's my 'separation issues', if you could call it like that. Lord Katz was kind enough to hang out with us. So in my mind I often linked him and Ripple. The more the 'oldies' move on, the more estranged Ripple as the company will become to us.

Ah, yes. I fully agree with you and that I guess that was the underlying feeling of the whole post. There are a few others that hang out with us peons, and we appreciate them all! but your right, the number of Ripple employees, and more important the number of Ripple architects that interact with us is dwindling.

I think we will always have a voice- it certainly is not as bad as it was when Ripple made that pivot, but still

No doubt a young, hungry, ambitious protege will apply to Ripple and JK will train him up to a very high level and then JK will stay on as an adviser or something.