Can Ripple exist without Russia and China in a Asset World?

If major nations have reasons to disconnect their currency and don't want to deal with USD, that is happening now. China and Russia aren't fooling around. Can Ripple succeed without China and Russia and what does that paint for the geo-political asset stage?

Edited by Guest
An to a, added asset before stage
1 hour ago, ScroogeMcDuck said:

Ripple is a US company so the point is worth consideration.

Cut off all national exchanges from US in China. Cut off all national exchanges from US in Russia.

Today and most certainly tomorrow's economy is a global one. Ripple and XRP create efficient payment corridors on an international level. It is in China and Russia's best interests to leverage those channels as they become more dominant in the long term.

Remember XRP can represent not just fiat, but any other digital asset or form of debt. It's not building walls around countries, but rather it's tearing those walls down and trying to build a broader and faster network of payment paths on a global scale.

5 hours ago, Trickery said:

It doesn't really matter what China and Russia do with regards to the USD, XRP and Ripple are independent from the USD

Indeed. XRP won't replace any currency, it will be in addition to fiat as Brad Garlinghouse has said on multiple occasions. 

I see it like this: do China and Russia refrain from using TCP and IP because they were largely designed by Americans? Do they refrain from using US designed containers? Of course it also works the other way around for things the Chinese or Russians invented that turned out to be winners. If something is transparant in usage and has obvious benefits to reduce economic friction, many countries will naturally want to join in.

Will XRP be the container of the internet of value? Possibly. But I think it's more likely that we will see several (not just one) digital assets that will get widespread usage. Ripple has of course envisioned all of this already. 

2 hours ago, Benchmark said:

Indeed. XRP won't replace any currency, it will be in addition to fiat as Brad Garlinghouse has said on multiple occasions. 

I see it like this: do China and Russia refrain from using TCP and IP because they were largely designed by Americans? Do they refrain from using US designed containers? Of course it also works the other way around for things the Chinese or Russians invented that turned out to be winners. If something is transparant in usage and has obvious benefits to reduce economic friction, many countries will naturally want to join in.

Will XRP be the container of the internet of value? Possibly. But I think it's more likely that we will see several (not just one) digital assets that will get widespread usage. Ripple has of course envisioned all of this already. 

I couldn't have said it better!

and let me add to the end...and has a head start!

10 hours ago, ScroogeMcDuck said:

No. 

Would you like Russia to take control of international monetary exchange? 

Or China? If Ripple was based in China would you feel the same way?

I wasn't saying to do that obviously, I should've phrased it better in that, imagine a scenario where all that buying power from China and Russia is cut off from US exchanges.

I think Russia would definitely love to replace Swift. But I don't expect them to take up XRP unless it becomes the dominant standard of settlement and is almost impossible not to use, like Swift is today.  There will probably be other options like ETH, which has a Russian national at the helm. Currently, if there is a choice between coins that have more of an international base and one that has more of an American base like XRP, I'd bet they'll probably go international, but again, XRP settlement may become so decentralized, as well as profitable, that just about all countries start using it.

The two "presidents for life" have decided to fight Donald with a little insanity of their own.

Meanwhile the US is going to go talk to N Korea.

In the words of Horace Slughorn, "these are mad times we live in. MAD!"

Here's a thought: many years from now when we're all dead, historians will be saying that in the battle between the nations and the corporations, peer to peer technologies were greatly strengthened through being a focal point of cyber warfares. Especially crytpocurrency will make them a target that can be attacked in no other way, but this will be a good thing in the long run.

Edited by Vader-DeWelt