Pablo

A wish list of use cases for Codius and Smart Contracts...

Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2018 at 8:52 PM, WrathofKahneman said:

Also - construction: imagine every site has a unique ID,   there are so many different contractors and suppliers involved that smart contracts could accurately, real time, indicate when work is possible for different contractors because the supplies are there and other work is finished.  This would make pay-for work easier and help to track costs.

A friend indicated it would help immensely with blood donations as all the various services could provide unique ID's to individual bags and track them along with their properties - (Blood type, etc.)  This might help pharmacies, too.  It would certainly cut down on wrong prescriptions and might even help track painkillers as it prevents double dipping between different pharmacy networks.

Can you elaborate on this? Unique IDS....

How will this differ from UIDs on say non relational databases system? 

How are they tracked and if you can tell me how codius or smart contracts work this way, I'd be very interested to read. They are new to me, and would love to hear more.

Edited by Tayto

19 hours ago, Tayto said:

Can you elaborate on this? Unique IDS....

How will this differ from UIDs on say non relational databases system? 

How are they tracked and if you can tell me how codius or smart contracts work this way, I'd be very interested to read. They are new to me, and would love to hear more.

Not on the blood supply as I don't know how it works so much.  

For construction, the problem is that a database would work just fine for tracking projects within one company, but for smaller contractors, coordination and payments would been helped by smart contracts where everyone is an independent operator.  It is very difficult sometimes for small/med contractors to be paid in a timely fashion, especially if they have to wait for other contractors to finish, materials to be delivered, etc.  I think that instant settlement contingent on a digital handshake could make things more efficient without one giant company running a database for everyone.

One more, but this is far in the future - smart contracts have the potential to disrupt the US energy grid at a local and larger levels.   It seems to me that many of the issues of friction and cross border transmission that afflict banks are analogous to the energy utility industry in a number of ways.  If you view the nonprofit/government agencies that control the electricity distribution grids in US states as a kind of liquidity provider,  a smart contract system could more efficiently distribute and monitor electricity and its usage.  It certainly could automate it more and perhaps make it more efficient and responsive to various demands, reducing friction, so to speak.

This is especially exciting if the number of independent producers continues to grow; people with solar panels and wind turbines, battery banks, etc.  It could provide a way for the small producers to sell back their excess product, and even market it if the system were flexible enough to have fluctuating prices.  It might incentivize, say, people buying battery banks so that they know they will have excess electricity to sell back on particularly high demand days at a higher cost.  

It might make it easier for individual users to subscribe to green power sources, driving the prices up, and it opens the possibility (for better or worse) to create a market of energy-based derivatives.   It could create an agile, independent network of energy purchasing and distribution driving profits for the utilities and potential investors (producers).  A eXRP, if you will.

On 3/8/2018 at 10:51 AM, Mpolnet said:

1) IoT/Machine to Machine Payments - to reference Brad Garlinghouse's example: You're late to work in your self driving car, the car in front of you is not in a rush, you send that car $10 worth of XRP to get out of your way so you can drive past them. 

This sounds great, but how long would it be before other drivers started blocking you to try and get paid for moving? ;) oof

On 3/8/2018 at 10:51 AM, Mpolnet said:

5) Car insurance where the amount you pay is based on how long you are driving in the car. As long as you keep driving, every second or minute (like a tax meter) you are paying. As soon as you step out of the car, you stop paying car insurance

Parked cars get hit too, unfortunately, but I like the way you're thinking! The devil will be in the details, as always...

How about evidence tracking, chain of custody that sort of thing? 

Or trust fund dispersion, especially if there are conditions to be met for release of funds...