Sign in to follow this  
RafOlP

David Schwartz keynote @ cppcon

Congrats @JoelKatz, it was an amazing keynote.

You mentioned that blockchains don't scale horizontally yet. Does ripple have ideas or developments for RCL to address that?

Edited by RafOlP

4 hours ago, RafOlP said:

Congrats @JoelKatz, it was an amazing keynote.

You mentioned that blockchains don't scale horizontally yet. Does ripple have ideas or developments for RCL to address that?

As far as I know, we mostly haven't been addressing that problem head-on, although Arthur has done some interesting designs to try to minimize the amount that has to be handled in parallel by the blockchain core itself. But our bigger-picture solution to that problem is -- of course -- the Interledger Protocol. If multiple blockchain systems can interact more-or-less seamlessly, then you can reduce the amount of work that any particular system has to handle (minimize the maximum vertical scale necessary) so that you don't need to scale the blockchain horizontally.

2 hours ago, mDuo13 said:

As far as I know, we mostly haven't been addressing that problem head-on, although Arthur has done some interesting designs to try to minimize the amount that has to be handled in parallel by the blockchain core itself. But our bigger-picture solution to that problem is -- of course -- the Interledger Protocol. If multiple blockchain systems can interact more-or-less seamlessly, then you can reduce the amount of work that any particular system has to handle (minimize the maximum vertical scale necessary) so that you don't need to scale the blockchain horizontally.

I see, thanks. But do you have an idea of how many orders of magnitude the RCL can scale to, compared with today's load?

Guest petke

I'd just like to say this video impressed me greatly. It was the first time i heard of ripple. I had little interest in crypto-currencies before seeing this. But its fascinating from both a technical and societal perspective.

I bought some XRP's. Maybe one of these days, I'll play around with the ripple API and get involved somehow.

Regards /Petke

Edited by petke
spelling

On 9/26/2016 at 3:30 PM, RafOlP said:

I see, thanks. But do you have an idea of how many orders of magnitude the RCL can scale to, compared with today's load?

10x is easy. 100x is possible. More than that requires fundamental design changes. As I said, we don't yet really know how to scale public block chains to handle things like high frequency trading or Visa level volumes with each transaction occurring on ledger. The current solution is to move things off the public ledger while still using clever cryptographic approaches to preserve most of the security properties that you get with on ledger transactions.

Guys do you remember when we used to have physical photos, music in cd roms, and videos on cassets. Where are they now? Storaged in a hard-drive somewhere else. The money is in the same way.