I see Apple Pay as one of the most viable consumer applications that could take advantage of xCurrent as well as xRapid. Anyone in Apple's ecosystem could conceivably take advantage of cross border value transfer via text message instantly? Come on, that's what we're all getting at here...

Unfortunately, it's hard to tell if Apple will want to become a bank and corral their users to their solution which would probably look like what normal banks look like right now (keep their dormant capital in their own account and get interest). 

OR, They could become a processing company and take small fractions off of value transfer all day every day. (I'm looking squarely at you, Apple). 

But if Apple did this so could google and so could everyone else and who's competing at that point? I dunno...I suppose that's the market now with slower rails. 

Pie in the sky? Ab-SO-LUTELY. But a viable use of the technology? I think so. 

apple are in a commanding situation here because not only of their massive war chest and notable moves into fintech already, but their excellent software with a focus on secure, mobile identity and verification, and in general, their platforms are seen as somewhat more secure and flexible e.g. than MS windows

1 minute ago, itcdominic said:

I think Apple or Amazon will buy Ripple.......Just a thought based on the way I've seen them operate around other desired technologies....like Ring.com for Amazon.

Will they be willing to dish out $ 1trillion?  Ripple has the upper hand and no one can make a fair offer while ripple sits on what could easily be a trillion dollar war chest.  All in my opinion of course ?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hodlezerper said:

I see Apple Pay as one of the most viable consumer applications that could take advantage of xCurrent as well as xRapid. Anyone in Apple's ecosystem could conceivably take advantage of cross border value transfer via text message instantly? Come on, that's what we're all getting at here...

Unfortunately, it's hard to tell if Apple will want to become a bank and corral their users to their solution which would probably look like what normal banks look like right now (keep their dormant capital in their own account and get interest). 

OR, They could become a processing company and take small fractions off of value transfer all day every day. (I'm looking squarely at you, Apple). 

But if Apple did this so could google and so could everyone else and who's competing at that point? I dunno...I suppose that's the market now with slower rails. 

Pie in the sky? Ab-SO-LUTELY. But a viable use of the technology? I think so. 

Partnering with Apple Pay for the use of sending value via iMessage could be the first stepping stone for micropayments in my opinion. Given the number of countries Apple does business in it would make sense for them to switch to the xRapid model where they don't have to prefund accounts in those countries. This would allow them to have more capital freed up and in my opinion would allow them to continue returning money to shareholders (which they have been doing for the last 5 years) in an easier way.

I truly think it's viable to believe these pieces fall into place. It's just doesn't make rationale sense to me that profit driven companies wouldn't switch to xRapid when it would help reduce their operating expenses (by reducing overhead costs and fees paid) in addition to increasing their bottom line and freeing up capital, which they can either reinvest to continue growing their business or redistribute to shareholder's.

Seems like a win win to me but who knows if I'm overlooking something. 

EDIT: Personally, I don't think Apple would need to become a bank to take advantage of this. From my understanding they could link to a liquidity pool and simply source XRP in real time whenever a payment is sent through iMessage/Apple Pay or whatever feature they integrate it into (and they don't need to hold XRP). This allows them to offer a new service, which takes away revenue from competitors thus, making Apple more competitive. Their biggest cost would be the initial sunk cost of setting up their system with Ripple's to allow for use of XRP. This is my understanding of how something like this would work but please feel free to correct me though if my points are off/out of whack

Edited by Mpolnet

2 hours ago, 1todd960 said:

Will they be willing to dish out $ 1trillion?  Ripple has the upper hand and no one can make a fair offer while ripple sits on what could easily be a trillion dollar war chest.  All in my opinion of course ?

Well, you could be right, but I think that the upper limit is even bigger :)

37 minutes ago, Mpolnet said:

Partnering with Apple Pay for the use of sending value via iMessage could be the first stepping stone for micropayments in my opinion.

We should not underestimate the "Micropayments markets" ... it is estimated that this market is between $60 and $200 billion 

21 minutes ago, Stedas said:

We should not underestimate the "Micropayments markets" ... it is estimated that this market is between $60 and $200 billion 

Agreed! The only thing I'm unsure of is if that $60B - $200B market size of micropayments is accounted for in the $150T in global annual cross border payments that Brad has been referencing or if it's own standalone market, independent of the size of the global cross border payments? I pray it's the latter but I really have no idea - maybe someone in the community can assist with answering this? 

If micropayments is its own standalone market then I will add it as a total addressable market to the XRP utility valuation model I have worked on creating. Currently, the model has four markets 1) Global Cross Border Payments 2) Store of Value 3) Reallocation of the freed up capital of $27T in nostro/vostro accounts and 4) XRP as a settlement layer for derivatives settlement.