Peyton

How many people own Ripple XRP

How many people do you think own XRP Ripple  

144 members have voted

1. 1. How many people do you think own XRP Ripple

• over a million
    • under a million

1 hour ago, Zerping said:

Since each activated account costs you 20 xrp permanently, i dont see many people activating more than one account needlessly, so yeah.

Wouldn't say "permanently", since a change in the protocol can reduce it, though we don't know when or if it will happen.

Since XRP used to cost a lot less, it wouldn't be strange to see people with multiple accounts from back then, as a way to spread their risk.

1 minute ago, cannylad said:

I think there is a lot of people who have more than one account for instance I have a nano, I have some xrp in Kraken,  some in polo and a few in my Exodus wallet, Different places for different reasons I have them in scattered around ie I can get £'s into my bank account in 24hrs with Kraken, Exodus, polo and nano too keep them well case "just incase something happens I doubt all will disappear 

So you are saying the number of accounts according to the chart is inaccurate, and I agree but it gives us a pretty good idea and this number will increase as more people become aware and less frightened of crypto's so the number of money held FOREVER in gatehubs will be enormous. No wonder they are a huge target for hackers. You are smart to have yours stored on a nano. 

3 minutes ago, Socrates said:

Wouldn't say "permanently", since a change in the protocol can reduce it, though we don't know when or if it will happen.

Since XRP used to cost a lot less, it wouldn't be strange to see people with multiple accounts from back then, as a way to spread their risk.

I agree, it will be reduced in the future as the competition increases. People will be going to whichever hub will allow them to transact the cheapest and safest.

The ledger has over a million wallets, then you have to count traders that bought XRP and keep it on exchanges. Even if a few whales have a bunch of cold storage wallets, it's just a tiny fraction of the overall figures. So definitely over a million people have XRP

11 minutes ago, Socrates said:

I suspect the opposite. It will be set higher to discourage creating new accounts. XRPL is not built to handle alot of accounts, that is the cost of having fast transactions.

1 minute ago, corak said:

The ledger has over a million wallets, then you have to count traders that bought XRP and keep it on exchanges. Even if a few whales have a bunch of cold storage wallets, it's just a tiny fraction of the overall figures. So definitely over a million people have XRP

That's a lot of forever tied up zerps..

25 minutes ago, flanman said:

I have ~26 accounts. 20xrp was once nothing.

On the other hand, many people own XRP without having a single account on the ledger. 

I am a thusly described holder.

15 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Meaning none being held up in accounts. Why do you think that?

Probably just the account minimum. I think I have a dozen old test accounts with 20 XRP stuck in them. Thought about selling them to save someone else from having to fund the acct min, but then the person would have to know how to rekey the account, and if they already know that, then they dont care about 20 XRP.

500k wallets * 85% * 20 XRP min = 8.5 million XRP

These are not "lost" XRP, (I still have all the keys) but I know there was a lot of people doing a ton of testing and playing around back in the day. Especially before the idea of IOUs was sort of left in the dust. Playing with all this (Rippling, Trustlines, Quality In/Out, Orderbooks, etc) required you to having multiple test accounts, so for each early tinkerer, I'd say 10-30 test accounts, IDK?

Edited by KarmaCoverage

9 hours ago, KarmaCoverage said:

Probably just the account minimum. I think I have a dozen old test accounts with 20 XRP stuck in them. Thought about selling them to save someone else from having to fund the acct min, but then the person would have to know how to rekey the account, and if they already know that, then they dont care about 20 XRP.

500k wallets * 85% * 20 XRP min = 8.5 million XRP

These are not "lost" XRP, (I still have all the keys) but I know there was a lot of people doing a ton of testing and playing around back in the day. Especially before the idea of IOUs was sort of left in the dust. Playing with all this (Rippling, Trustlines, Quality In/Out, Orderbooks, etc) required you to having multiple test accounts, so for each early tinkerer, I'd say 10-30 test accounts, IDK?

This could be the equivalent of BTCs lost millions. It might be helpful in the end.

14 hours ago, Zerping said:

Since each activated account costs you 20 xrp permanently, i dont see many people activating more than one account needlessly, so yeah.

50% of all wallets have less than 50 XRP balance atm

4 minutes ago, _harry_ said:

1M of accounts is fantastic good news. I'll HODL untill reaches 150M accounts at least!

There is a nice correlation between accounts created and price :) 

Do you have a guess as to what the price would be with 150M accounts?

I have no idea but 150M accounts is not a big deal and it is 150x from we are now. Think in P2P payments. There are some developments following this at the Gate's foundation and Santander

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population#/media/File:Population_Growth_by_World_Bank_continental_division.png

Let's say 2B people counts from the entire world ... 150M is only a 7.5%!!

Edited by _harry_