ringer2

Give 10% away

@ringer2, I am a pastor and understand where you are coming from. Not to offend others, but I look at what Paul says about giving: 2 Corinthians 9:7 "Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." I remember the first time I stood in the pulpit and told my congregation that I would rather they NOT give anything than to feel they have the duty to give, or are not giving cheerfully (my church treasurer about flipped!). God wants us to be generous, yes. However, he doesn't want our "duty," he wants our "cheerful heart" when we do so. That said, some of the times I have learned to trust God the most have been during times I felt I could not give, or did not want to for whatever reason, yet did, and saw God bless.

I give and I will continue to give because I want to...not because I feel I have to. I take an opposite approach: nothing I have is mine, anyways. Therefore, I am not "giving" anything...rather, I am keeping for myself (selfish, I know) that which I don't "give back." It puts things in a slightly different perspective for me and helps me to examine whether I am being a good steward of the gifts God has entrusted to me.

That said, I also challenge people to give, because it is not something that comes naturally for most. I put a challenge out at the beginning of one year (again, not talking to our church treasurer first) saying that anyone who consistently gives 10% the whole year and feels they are not more blessed at the end of the year for doing so can ask for every penny back, no questions asked! Yeah, jaws dropped...and I got some crazy looks...but I stand by the fact that we can never out give God and that it is truly better to give than to receive.

My prayer is to hear "well done, thou good and faithful servant" when I finally get to stand before my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Blessings!

Edited by buckor

X

Edited by Guest
trigger happy

x

Edited by Guest
rattatattat!

6 minutes ago, Trendkill said:

And a computer and the key words ? ?

LOL, no way!

They are the ones that made the sign stating they are willing to work!

15 minutes ago, buckor said:

@ringer2, I am a pastor and understand where you are coming from. Not to offend others, but I look at what Paul says about giving: 2 Corinthians 9:7 "Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." I remember the first time I stood in the pulpit and told my congregation that I would rather they NOT give anything than to feel they have the duty to give, or are not giving cheerfully (my church treasurer about flipped!). God wants us to be generous, yes. However, he doesn't want our "duty," he wants our "cheerful heart" when we do so. That said, some of the times I have learned to trust God the most have been during times I felt I could not give, or did not want to for whatever reason, yet did, and saw God bless.

I give and I will continue to give because I want to...not because I feel I have to. I take an opposite approach: nothing I have is mine, anyways. Therefore, I am not "giving" anything...rather, I am keeping for myself (selfish, I know) that which I don't "give back." It puts things in a slightly different perspective for me and helps me to examine whether I am being a good steward of the gifts God has entrusted to me.

That said, I also challenge people to give, because it is not something that comes naturally for most. I put a challenge out at the beginning of one year (again, not talking to our church treasurer first) saying that anyone who consistently gives 10% the whole year and feels they are not more blessed at the end of the year for doing so can ask for every penny back, no questions asked! Yeah, jaws dropped...and I got some crazy looks...but I stand by the fact that we can never out give God and that it is truly better to give than to receive.

My prayer is to hear "well done, thou good and faithful servant" when I finally get to stand before my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Blessings!

To all men, should there be a distinction between duty and cheerful willingness? 

7 minutes ago, ringer2 said:

To all men, should there be a distinction between duty and cheerful willingness? 

I do think there is a difference between "duty" and "cheerful willingness." If I am duty bound to do something it is probably more of a drudgery for me to do "it". I will hate "it" the whole time I am doing "it" and will be looking forward to when "it" is done. However, when I am cheerful and willing to do something, I look forward to whatever "it" is. I look forward to doing "it" again in the future and I also enjoy telling others about what "it" is and how "it" is helping to shape my life. 

The difference is that if I am a cheerful giver, I can choose not to at any time and all will be well. However, I probably won't make that choice because I enjoy being a giver. However, if I feel duty bound I will continue to do so because I feel obligated to do so and fear "making God mad" if I don't do it, or, I don't want the church treasurer (or whatever organization) to look at me as if I don't want to give. So, every week I write a check, but look for "excuses" to "forget," etc. The difference here is the heart: externally both the duty bound and willfully cheerful are doing the same thing, but in their hearts they sing two different songs.

15 minutes ago, ringer2 said:

Yes, definitely. Otherwise they would be synonyms. 

6 minutes ago, buckor said:

I do think there is a difference between "duty" and "cheerful willingness." If I am duty bound to do something it is probably more of a drudgery for me to do "it". I will hate "it" the whole time I am doing "it" and will be looking forward to when "it" is done. However, when I am cheerful and willing to do something, I look forward to whatever "it" is. I look forward to doing "it" again in the future and I also enjoy telling others about what "it" is and how "it" is helping to shape my life. 

The difference is that if I am a cheerful giver, I can choose not to at any time and all will be well. However, I probably won't make that choice because I enjoy being a giver. However, if I feel duty bound I will continue to do so because I feel obligated to do so and fear "making God mad" if I don't do it, or, I don't want the church treasurer (or whatever organization) to look at me as if I don't want to give. So, every week I write a check, but look for "excuses" to "forget," etc. The difference here is the heart: externally both the duty bound and willfully cheerful are doing the same thing, but in their hearts they sing two different songs.

I wasn’t asking IF there was a difference.  I was asking SHOULD there be a difference. 

I have a duty to love my wife. Should I not accept that duty cheerfully?  Indeed, we are commanded to obedience. Duty, no? Cheerfully? Should be. I think it is a distinction that should not exist. 

Just now, ringer2 said:

I wasn’t asking IF there was a difference.  I was asking SHOULD there be a difference. 

And I was telling you why there should BE a difference... otherwise, it's the same meaning... lots of confusion there... 

6 minutes ago, ringer2 said:

I have a duty to love my wife. Should I not accept that duty cheerfully?  Indeed, we are commanded to obedience. Duty, no? Cheerfully? Should be. I think it is a distinction that should not exist. 

But I think even with this example there is a difference. I do not think there is a single person out there who would say they don't love their spouse (most of the time B)). Most of the time we love our spouses cheerfully....however, there are "those days" when we "have" to love them, because we are mad or they are mad at us, etc. If we stay cheerful about loving our spouse then we will live "happily ever after." However, if we feel "duty bound" to love our spouse for too long then divorce appears inevitable, because no one wants to feel like they "have to" love someone....they "want to" love someone....again, a perspective of the heart, but I do think it is significant.

Edited by buckor

On a sidenote, due to several unsolicited doorbell rings and door knocks at what seemed to be the worst times of the day, I found on a popular website a door sign that states:

"No:

soliciting, fundraising, politics, salesmen, religion."

A great sign and well worth what I spent on it. 

I think the same should apply to XRP chat as most crypto investors do not want to see, hear or experience any of those things...

No offense but that is not the venue here... there are plenty of places for those things... am I wrong?

Edited by Guest
HODL!

3 minutes ago, MentalPatience said:

On a sidenote, due to several unsolicited doorbell rings and door knocks at what seemed to be the worst times of the day, I found on a popular website a door sign that states:

"No:

soliciting, fundraising, politics, salesmen, religion."

A great sign and well worth what I spent on it. 

I think the same should apply to XRP chat as most crypto investors do not want to see, hear or experience any of those things...

No offense but that is not the venue here... there are plenty of places for those things... am I wrong?

Except that my faith shapes my views about how I will move forward with XRP just as, it appears, your not wanting faith to be involved shapes yours. I do not talk about my faith on every post, but where it helps others to understand my position, I feel it appropriate to say so. Otherwise, you are saying your views are the only ones worth reading and mine are not. I do not request that you "put faith" in all of your posts (even when there is foul language and sexual innuendos involved...in this case not your posts specifically, but in the forum in general)....I should not be asked to "leave faith" out of all of mine. If we respect one another and our views, we will all get along. I choose not to respond to those posts with language or content I do not like....