I tried to talk crypto with one friend who has been investing in stocks for a while and have up after 10 minutes. Sometimes, people are not ready to accept a paradigm shift. Let it be.

I’ll pick that conversation up again in a few years with him.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I realized what xrp is my hand started shaking and got a chill down my spine.  It was the surest and most visceral feeling of knowing about something in my life.  I'm 50 and that isn't young or o

Hey All.   So it’s 01:05 Uk time. I have been out wirh all my friends for 8 hours, having a good time etc... We talk all sorts, and i mention XRP, like i did 7 months ago... And the amount o

Unfortunately my brothers wife died last year leaving him and two kids. Before she passed, knowing that he hasnt always been the best with his finances, she asked if i would ensure that he invested an

Only one of my friends is investing in crypto and i told him about XRP in august last year. He told me its worth nothing, Ripple can increase the supply, hold most of the coins etc. etc. all the basic fud. 

Now even after the surge he still thinks the same about it and keeps telling me al those great partners dont have to use XRP and will start tokens themself. This is also what i commonly see at Reddit for example. XRP is possibly the most hated crypto in the community and it will take some time for this to fade away.

My hope is that once xRapid is widely adopted we wont be tied to speculation and value comes from real world use.

2 minutes ago, KaMpi said:

My hope is that once xRapid is widely adopted we wont be tied to speculation and value comes from real world use.

I think we all do. It will happen, I don't see how a multi-billion company such as Ripple, with so much at stake, with the team they have, can't establish a solid xRapid customer base.

Well, 

More or less all it's said I think, in the first moments when you think in the potential of % in xrp can explode in very little time ( 1/2/3 years ) one think pass in our heads could be... yes ! and in 3 years all will be rich... ? what is this joke/scam... but once you start to read and try to understand what is all this world, and the momentum we are living... as I read and learn here, not easy as that, we need survive the stroms, and it's more easy keep the red and not lose, thank see greens with 500 or 1500% and not take, thinking... well here we go, now it's the time, hold 2 years more and then see what is happen.

Usually I never talk with friends I know don't understand or we will be exceeded in his mind talking about, but one of them I know have open mind, 2 days later, says me... ok, I see this could be the match ball for us, and all who believe in and hold enough.. so, I come !

Do you feel this sensation says inside you... could be true this time, I am in ?... in the right think, right moment, right place ? really, it's me this time ?

Time, balls and cold head is one of our proverbs as read in the chat also ;)

Nice to be in the same boat !

1 hour ago, HodlOnASec said:

I tried to talk crypto with one friend who has been investing in stocks for a while and have up after 10 minutes. Sometimes, people are not ready to accept a paradigm shift. Let it be.

I’ll pick that conversation up again in a few years with him.

Yes that's how I feel about it too. I think you articulated it well: "some people are not ready to accept the paradigm shift." It's a common phenomena that those shifts go parallel with lots of FUD and with crypto space being in its infancy, negative media attention about BTC falling from 19k to 6k, Tether, money laundering practices, bubbles, etc. doesn't really help with adoption. Over time, the market will mature, lots of money is yet to flow into cryptos and the industry, if you like, will develop with financial mechanisms that are currently only in place in traditional investment practices. Once we get there, the massive profits that I believe can still be made nowadays, will be out of reach to many who will get into the game when crypto has established itself as something to stay. On the other hand, there is lots of uncertainty (particularly re. legislations) at the moment and investing now is therefore very risk but therefore also comes at a greater ROI. 

I mentioned Ripple to three friends last nite, a chartered accountant, a businessman who owns a national concern, and an actuary. Only the actuary thought it had potential, the other two are skeptical of crypto in general and think we're all just playing games. Oh well , as someone said earlier, I'll invite them for the housewarming. 

My friends are mostly well educated professionals.

When I told them about XRP, they made their own due diligence and every single one of those I told about it decided to invest in XRP.

Maybe it's just human nature. 

I remember buying my first piece of BTC (yeah, I confess), and thinking 'what am I doing...??'. I poured in my first 1K a year ago thinking this probably would turn out to be the stupidest decision ever. After this I started reading and quickly found XRP and went all in. FUDded out partly, but learned my lesson and am happy with my XRP's.

It may be a cultural thing, but here in the Netherlands there's a lot of jealousy. People don't say 'Wow you bought a brand new car, great! Good for you'. They'd rather think it's a nice car, and would want to buy one too, but they'll point out it's fuel use is really high... 

I read about an experiment once: people got to choose between winning 75K or 100K. If you chose 100K, your neighbour would get it too. Well, guess what, the majority chose 75K. Again I think this is human nature: subconsciously needing to be better (richer) than others.

Taking that first leap of buying is scary for most. Many friends I have do speak english, but don't follow it anymore when it gets a too technical. Also many don't want to put in the time to read up on the subject. So what do you do if your neighbour has some crypto, and its price rises, and you don't have any? Either you buy too, or you ridicule that person. Again, buying requires a bit of reading and/or a leap of faith. So not buying is easier and safer, but you'll need to address the FOMO in that case.

You could see this behaviour in action on websites by the end of 2017. Whenever there was a 'crypto' subject, and the prices had risen, the comments were like 'it's a bubble / fools / you will lose it all'. Of course! Because ridiculing would again confirm they made the right decision by not buying. And what's even better, most comments were negative! So you weren't the only one who didn't buy, thus confirming your 'right' decision (confirmation bias: you filter out the information that doesn't suit you). So to save themselves from the pain of seeing someone else making money, they ridicule all together. 

Then came the time when the prices dropped. Now the real fun started: 'see! told you! s*ckers! losers! good for you! hahahaha!'. Again, confirmation that they made the right choice, of NOT buying crypto. 

Like the neighbour experiment: it hurts less to lose some, than for someone else to win more than you!

So, to summarize: if someone doesn't buy crypto, from that moment on he/she needs to emphasize that the right choice was made, to prevent (mental) pain.

Sorry, it's getting a bit longer than I wanted, I'll get to the point:
I think there are 2 types of people:
-Those who have an open mind/read about it: they (will) buy XRP (or whatever...)
-Those who are scared/don't want to take the time/don't have cash: they don't buy. And from that moment on they don't WANT to be convinced that they made a bad choice, because the unthinkable other option simply hurts too much.

So I talk about crypto with friends/colleagues: after the first words I know whether they have an open mind or not. If they do, I'll tell them about XRP (and why most other coins are useless). If not, fine, go watch your savings account.