Sign in to follow this  
Duke67

US FED might accept proposal from Ripple

And by the same thinking every purchase that the government makes is also tracked and public.  The government will know I buy far too much beer & I'll know they're funneling money to prop up the militaries of some 3rd world despot.
Problem is, who's to say that the government won't implement something in the code of xrp that starts with say:

Mr. Plank is a suspected terrorist, so we'll freeze all his accounts so he can't conduct terrorism anymore.

Taking that a step further:

Mr. Beer loves drinking beer but it's really bad for him and his doctor recommended he stop, so we'll prevent him from using his xrp at a beer store.

To finally something like:

Candidate A is a political opponent of those in power, we'll freeze/hack his account and take away his purchasing power and come up with some excuse.

I know I'm being very paranoid about all this, and I obviously hope for the best, but I'm not trusting the government to do what's best for me - and I hardly think a national fedcoin would be in my best interest.

Btw, if it ever came down to this fedcoin (which I doubt will even be transparent or decentralized), by the time you ever see the government doing something with the funds that you don't agree with, I can guarantee that nothing will happen because it will be in the name of "national security" or "national interest", which, everyone will accept and... welcome 1984!

Problem is, who's to say that the government won't implement something in the code of xrp that starts with say:

Mr. Plank is a suspected terrorist, so we'll freeze all his accounts so he can't conduct terrorism anymore.

Taking that a step further:

Mr. Beer loves drinking beer but it's really bad for him and his doctor recommended he stop, so we'll prevent him from using his xrp at a beer store.

To finally something like:

Candidate A is a political opponent of those in power, we'll freeze/hack his account and take away his purchasing power and come up with some excuse.

I know I'm being very paranoid about all this, and I obviously hope for the best, but I'm not trusting the government to do what's best for me - and I hardly think a national fedcoin would be in my best interest.

Btw, if it ever came down to this fedcoin (which I doubt will even be transparent or decentralized), by the time you ever see the government doing something with the funds that you don't agree with, I can guarantee that nothing will happen because it will be in the name of "national security" or "national interest", which, everyone will accept and... welcome 1984!
No man, it's capitalism. The spiel goes: gov are bumbling shopkeepers, and corporations are now the worthy custodians of the universe. Private sector knows best. You trust Google (enough that you probably use it), so why not trust Ripple? *wink*

Assuming you bought some xrp, you already took that leap of faith.

11 hours ago, jqian2 said:

Problem is, who's to say that the government won't...

You will if you are a voter.

Most civilized countries have control over who gets into power.  Most of the population doesn't care though.  The government represents the people, and if the people don't care enough, nor will the government.  Is the problem with the government or the people that voted them in?