Sign in to follow this  
Atomic1221

Exclusive: Grayscale launches new 'Digital Large Cap Fund' tied to 5 top cryptocurrencies

Just to be clear they’re actually going to be buying the asset. 

“People don’t know or care which coin will win,” Silbert tells Yahoo Finance. “They just want to be in this asset class. We have people who want to put $100 million into this.”

Edited by Atomic1221

So, forgive me for my questioning or seeming like I didn't read through the article well enough; but is this a mention at something like coinmarketcap being rebuilt into something more trustworthy / reliable? More specifically, they're creating their own?

3 minutes ago, Mr_McFearson said:

So, forgive me for my questioning or seeming like I didn't read through the article well enough; but is this a mention at something like coinmarketcap being rebuilt into something more trustworthy / reliable? More specifically, they're creating their own?

No. It’s a fund that’s composed of top 5 crypto assets proportionally to their percentage market cap on CMC. 

I think I understand now; it'll have a place within the stock market so that stock investors could purchase the simple shares of the "fund" and the money from the shares flow into the top five cryptos, correct?

Just now, Mr_McFearson said:

I think I understand now; it'll have a place within the stock market so that stock investors could purchase the simple shares of the "fund" and the money from the shares flow into the top five cryptos, correct?

My view as well, I believe this to be the case. 

Just now, Dutchpinoy said:

My view as well, I believe this to be the case. 

Holy hell. I wish the smaller fish had opportunity to buy share in that stock. At least cryptos are the key, and we're already at it!

2 minutes ago, Mr_McFearson said:

Holy hell. I wish the smaller fish had opportunity to buy share in that stock. At least cryptos are the key, and we're already at it!

Investment funds are for players who have the money to have other people do the thinking for them. I'd be happier with returns for which I'm solely responsible when it comes to decisionmaking. Maybe that's just me.

The reason they don’t have ETFs publically available is because there’s no consumer protection against wash trading and price manipulation as well as protections against wild price swings.

However, for now this is good. Big boys can load up on ETF and small fish can buy spot market on exchanges

Update Live from Yahoo Crypto Summit:

Grayscale plans on bringing this large cap fund into the public market in the near future. They’ve already had success doing this with another fund, which is promising. 

5 hours ago, Mr_McFearson said:

It’s like an ETF for cryptos...for example the IBB (iShares NASDAQ Biotechnology Fund) is a weighted index of shares of biotech/Pharma companies listed on the  NASDAQ.  This is great new because it is institutional & retail investors buying XRP through this investment vehicle.

5 hours ago, Mr_McFearson said:

Would that make any difference to you? Since you're here, I suppose you put your money into XRP, which will give you kinda same revenue after all.

1 hour ago, DucPeter said:

Would that make any difference to you? Since you're here, I suppose you put your money into XRP, which will give you kinda same revenue after all.

Not at all, because I do already invest directly! Was just a thought.