flanman

Does Ripple employ an economist? If not, why not?

Does Ripple employ an economist? And I mean a real economist with a PhD, not a fedora goldbug who has read a wiki page on Hayek.

If not, why not? 

You've created a currency with greater value than most nations. Last I checked, every nation had an economist or two working for them.

Does Gene Sperling count? https://ripple.com/company/board-of-directors/

Gene Sperling served as National Economic Council Director and National Economic Advisor under President Clinton from 1997 to 2001 and then under President Obama from 2011 to 2014. Prior, he was senior counselor to Treasury Secretary Geithner, advising on financial crisis and auto rescue issues as well as being lead advisor on fiscal and jobs issues. In 2008, he was a chief economic advisor to Hillary Clinton during her Presidential campaign.

Oh, and I forgot Susan Athey. 

Susan Athey is Professor of Economics at Stanford Graduate School of Business. She received her bachelor’s degree from Duke University and her Ph.D. from Stanford, and she holds an honorary doctorate from Duke University. She previously taught at the economics departments at MIT, Stanford and Harvard. In 2007, Professor Athey received the John Bates Clark Medal, awarded by the American Economic Association to “that American economist under the age of forty who is adjudged to have made the most significant contribution to economic thought and knowledge.” She was elected to the National Academy of Science in 2012 and to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2008. Professor Athey’s current research focuses on the economics of the internet, internet search, online advertising and the news media, and virtual currencies. She advises governments and businesses on the design of auction-based marketplaces, notably since 2007 serving as a long-term consultant to Microsoft Corporation in a variety of roles, including chief economist.

Stellar must have hired all the PhD economists, that's why they have inflation.

Edit: That's a good question.

Gene Sperling: Board member not employee, and not technically an economist.

Susan Athey: board member not employee, technically an economist.

I suspect rather than hiring economists, they use outside consultants for heavy duty economic forecasting, and board members to help guide their decision making. 

1 hour ago, flanman said:

Does Ripple employ an economist? And I mean a real economist with a PhD, not a fedora goldbug who has read a wiki page on Hayek.

If not, why not? 

You've created a currency with greater value than most nations. Last I checked, every nation had an economist or two working for them.

And every nation is failing somehow. Economists are like cheerleaders for their respective teams. But companies have better ways to get people to cheer for them.

Question: How many economists does it take to change a light bulb?
Answer 1: Seven. One to screw it in and six to hold everything else constant.
Answer 2: Two. One to assume the existence of a ladder and one to change the bulb.
Answer 3: Hell, you need a whole department of them just to prepare the research grant.
Answer 4: One to prepare the proposal, an econometrician to run the model, one PhD student to write the dissertation, two more to prepare the journal article, four to review it, and at least as many to refine the model and replicate the results.

I nominate, Larry summers. Father of all bubbles. If he joins may be we will be debating if Xrp can touch $1000 or it will stay around $500. Lol 

Edited by Rchopra

One of the most fascinating things i've seen is the in game economy of second life. They even had a virtual currency called the Linden dollar that could be exchanged for fiat.

Edited by Premium

4 hours ago, marousi said:

I nominate Paul Krugman

This 1998 Paul Krugman quote always has me in stitches:

http://www.businessinsider.com/paul-krugman-responds-to-internet-quote-2013-12?IR=T

"By 2005 or so, it will become clear that the Internet's impact on the economy has been no greater than the fax machine's."

Edited by MooseInTime