Rchopra

XRP DISTRIBUTION UPDATE

12 minutes ago, Mercury said:

Ripple's value is not in its token but what that token allows you to do.

OK, but these guys (CL & Co) are not in this business to sell Ripple for millions, but many many billions. How you want to derive the value of the company? On what you want to base the future value? You take earnings they make on software licenses selling and multiply it 7-10x, right? How much that can be? The number of their end users is not that high and the software business is quite competitive, so they can't charge $$ millions for Ripple Connect, because nobody would choose this technology.

I think that Ripple's future value is in XRP.

3 minutes ago, Duke67 said:

they can't charge $$ millions for Ripple Connect, because nobody would choose this technology.

Ripple connect is the printer, XRP is the ink. Selling ink makes more money than selling printers.

taking 50BN XRP off the market for the next several years has to be positive.

or would you rather see them in the hands of traders just interested in P&D the next shitcoin on Poloniex?!?!?!

$15-20MM / year in XRP sales is peanuts if the buyers are FIs.

Guest Dizer

Ripple's ultimate goal is to drive the adoption of IoV through using ILP as a mainstream vehicle to connect disparate ledgers.  They also want to promote RCL as the premier network used for value exchange. In such scenario, and there are no guarantees, network usage and XRP utility would dramatically increase, but it would not require usage of a lot of XRPs to accomplish that and It does not also mean that the value of XRP would necessarily dramatically increase. 

In a world where IoV is a mainstream reality and ILP/RCL are the premier mechanism used for value exchange,  XRP's value can still hover around 1-2 cents. As @Mercury said, XRP's trade margins will be kept very tight through a deliberate policy.

So, the XRP lottery we all wish for may not happen after all. 

1 hour ago, Haraldo said:

Ripple didn't say they were keeping anything for the future.

Probably, as i said, they will try to keep the majority of the available XRP. Yes, you are right, in fact, i'm almost certain Ripple doesn't know for sure what will be the best strategy 5 years from now. If Ripple will succeed it will be a success for many years/decades so i'm sure they have that in mind when defining long-term strategies. Everything is opensource except XRP. But the idea that Ripple will keep a reserve of XRP for the far future is old and i remember was sometimes discussed by members of the official Ripple Forum.

14 minutes ago, lucky said:

Ripple connect is the printer, XRP is the ink. Selling ink makes more money than selling printers.

Yep and you can't overcharge for ink! (Unless... it's the 90s and you're Lexmark.)

9 minutes ago, Dizer said:

XRP's value can still hover around 1-2 cents. As @Mercury said, XRP's trade margins will be kept very tight through a deliberate policy.

Yep this is what I've been saying for a while now. Stability trumps price increase. I'm not saying XRP can't reach e.g. parity, I'm just saying it may take WAAAAY longer than people here hope, being somewhat fooled by the facade that is bitcoin and other altcoin get-rich-quick schemes. 

49 minutes ago, D-fault123 said:

Do you mean that if Bitcoin is said to be so-called digital gold, then XRP could be called digital graphene?

Its not a bad analogy, but an easier one would be Ripple compared to any other company who is diversifying their product lines. Of course they hope XRP takes off (abet in a controlled manner), but if it doesn't... Ripple has always said if they were to close that ripple and XRP would survive and continue on without them. I think the reverse is true as well, if XRP was to tank or not be adopted Ripple as a service provider would pivot and continue. At the very least there has to be a business threat assessment somewhere outlining all possible futures to the company- regulatory, legal, financial, adoption, product streams... it would be naive to assume XRP isn't one of them. I think Ripple supports and hopes for the continued growth of XRP, they are continuing to invest a lot of resources into it, but they are not betting everything either.

47 minutes ago, rippledigital said:

That's a really good point. XRP is a great asset for new markets and market makers looking to expand their reach from niche areas and currencies etc. And if they bring value to the Ripple ecosystem they can be given XRP for free (with agreements) to bootstrap the initiative; it's a win win. It can be given and boughht/sold (depending on contractual stuff) at strategic moments so as to keep the price stable.  

Agreed. XRP right now is being used to drive ecosystem growth. The best result is that the ecosystem eventually will be strong enough to support XRP for a long (hopefully permanent) time.

45 minutes ago, Duke67 said:

OK, but these guys (CL & Co) are not in this business to sell Ripple for millions, but many many billions. How you want to derive the value of the company? On what you want to base the future value? You take earnings they make on software licenses selling and multiply it 7-10x, right? How much that can be? The number of their end users is not that high and the software business is quite competitive, so they can't charge $$ millions for Ripple Connect, because nobody would choose this technology.

I think Ripple likes the idea of XRP being worth billion, and they are certainly using some of its value today, but I don't think the company is depending solely on XRP for future gains. Microsoft does not depend solely on Word to drive profits, they are even diversifying their bread and butter OS product lines. Microsoft's productivity suite and its other many many features work together to drive its sum valuation. Ripple is moving aggressively into services and infrastructure, XRP is part of that. They are not depending on just XRP- otherwise they would be pumping out wallets, trading tools and other features like any other big crypto exchange.

29 minutes ago, Dizer said:

Ripple's ultimate goal is to drive the adoption of IoV through using ILP as a mainstream vehicle to connect disparate ledgers.  They also want to promote RCL as the premier network used for value exchange. In such scenario, and there are no guarantees, network usage and XRP utility would dramatically increase, but it would not require usage of a lot of XRPs to accomplish that and It does not also mean that the value of XRP would necessarily dramatically increase. 

In a world where IoV is a mainstream reality and ILP/RCL are the premier mechanism used for value exchange,  XRP's value can still hover around 1-2 cents. As @Mercury said, XRP's trade margins will be kept very tight through a deliberate policy.

Agreed.

Do not get me wrong. I like ripple and XRP, and I remain bullish in its long time value. BUT, expectations have to be manged. We all get excited when XRP rises fractions of a cent- which adds up if you have a lot true, but its nothing to some other cryptos rise and falls. Fine, if I wanted other crypto results I would invest in them. I for one am happy with a slow steady rise, and see the real value in the ease of IOU exchanges and trades. In the past if the Euro was giving out signs it was failing I would be frustrated with the inability to trade against it, now I can do it in less than a few min. That's the magic sauce right there.

Edited by Mercury

Guest HeyA

Agree that a stable increase is best. Can also see many benefits to holding 50 billion long-term. Mostly, I'm excited to see the development of the technology. 

But let's ask some fun questions that we really have no idea about:

Price of XRP by end of 2017? 

Price of XRP by end of 2021?

Will parity ever happen? Yes or no? 

If yes... best guess when? 

4 minutes ago, Mercury said:

Put it another way- XRP would be the utilities in your invest portfolio. Dependable and near always profitable, secure and steady. For those riskier higher returns look to other cryptos.

Good summation. In addition, it could also be a reliable wealth for the kids.

7 minutes ago, Mercury said:

Put it another way- XRP would be the utilities in your invest portfolio. Dependable and near always profitable, secure and steady. For those riskier higher returns look to other cryptos.

This is only for those who wish to invest and hold XRP for its own value. Again, I think its real value is what it can do and if used actively