Just now, Hodor said:

Being a change agent for banking is unforgiving work. Luckily for us, Ripple is more than up to the task.

In my review of the Quarter 4, 2017 XRP Markets Report, I review the effect of recent negative publicity, as well as remind XRP investors about some key considerations that they
should remember when seeing resistance to the change that Ripple - and XRP - represents.  

And of course, we will look at Miguel's quarterly XRP report to see some surprising numbers for Ripple.  Spoiler alert: Ripple made as much money in one quarter than they did for an entire year.  I'm not giving it all away, however, so you'll have to read my blog to find out more.  :yes3:

I hope you enjoy the read - please leave any feedback below.  Feel free to share my blog with a friend or on any other media, and thank you in advance for doing so! :thank_you2:

My friend who turned me on to XRP Chat said if you follow one person make is Hodor... thanks for all you do

Being a change agent for banking is unforgiving work. Luckily for us, Ripple is more than up to the task.
In my review of the Quarter 4, 2017 XRP Markets Report, I review the effect of recent negative publicity, as well as remind XRP investors about some key considerations that they
should remember when seeing resistance to the change that Ripple - and XRP - represents.  
And of course, we will look at Miguel's quarterly XRP report to see some surprising numbers for Ripple.  Spoiler alert: Ripple made as much money in one quarter than they did for an entire year.  I'm not giving it all away, however, so you'll have to read my blog to find out more.  :yes3:
I hope you enjoy the read - please leave any feedback below.  Feel free to share my blog with a friend or on any other media, and thank you in advance for doing so! :thank_you2:
@Hodor, i know i posted on Twitter, but just want to say thank you for another well thought out blog. These are exciting times for Ripple and XRP!

I also appreciate your "speculation" post above....always fun to do some wondering about what potentially could be!

I keep saying it, but do you feel the rumble?!

nintchdbpict0002990098242.jpg

@Hodor Mille Grazie!

I must quote my fav part of your recent Blogg.

Training Wheels

When children learn to ride a bike, it’s wise for parents to put a helmet on them and put the ‘training wheels’ on.  Parents do this so their children don’t fall off an actual two-wheel bike and get bruised or worse.

The same is true for banks.

They clearly want to use blockchain technology. 

:d_sunny:

Great read!  There was one part that went over my head.  Can someone please explain exactly what is an "institutional hedging intstrument" and what some examples of  "custody solutions" and why they are important or how they will make xrp more attractive to FI's?

Here is the quote from the Q4 report Hodor was quoting.  I would be very grateful if someone smarter than me could dumb it down and explain it ?

“While customers can use XRP for on-demand liquidity through xRapid, we want to build the necessary markets infrastructure for eventual direct usage of XRP by financial institutions. In Q1, we’ll begin work towards the launch of institutional hedging instruments and custody solutions. Both of these market components are important to institutional adoption and thus are important components of our 2018 roadmap.”

4 minutes ago, XrpAdvocate said:

Great read!  There was one part that went over my head.  Can someone please explain exactly what is an "institutional hedging intstrument" and what some examples of  "custody solutions" and why they are important or how they will make xrp more attractive to FI's?

Here is the quote from the Q4 report Hodor was quoting.  I would be very grateful if someone smarter than me could dumb it down and explain it ?

“While customers can use XRP for on-demand liquidity through xRapid, we want to build the necessary markets infrastructure for eventual direct usage of XRP by financial institutions. In Q1, we’ll begin work towards the launch of institutional hedging instruments and custody solutions. Both of these market components are important to institutional adoption and thus are important components of our 2018 roadmap.”

Sure, it was just yesterday that I was completely in the dark on this very issue.  This should help.  Also, @Hodor I trust you noticed this huge development!

1 hour ago, xh3b4sd said:

@Hodor another thing I found is a broken link "Build new applications". It directs to "http://24.%20https//www.quora.com/What-are-smart-contracts-and-how-does-Ripple-use-them/answer/Stefan-Thomas-1?srid=5Ojt6". 

Thank you!  Fixed it. 

1 hour ago, CryptoGerrie said:

But the reason why I got so attracted by CC companies, as they could mean the opening of a completely new vertical, and potentially B to C. If you look at Upwork they basically have the option to use a virtual MasterCard. I think one of the next big thing in crypto, will be cashing out. Also, this is the part where regulation becomes more important than ever (money laundering).  Any company that has a credit or debit card, that can be loaded with crypto, will be of such importance. I wouldn't be surprised if Amex is aiming for that market. Currently within the market they facing to compete against Visa due too high fees (especially outside US). With ripple in place, lowering their fees and XRP gaining acces to any crypto market in the world, that could be a very nice play.

Now I am speculation btw ;) Love to hear your ideas around this one day.

Credit cards are big. 

In general, BG has said in the past that they had a schedule that included going after retail applications for XRP at some point, but I *think* it looks like they are going to strike while the "iron is hot."  In other words, a lot of retailers that initially adopted Bitcoin have become completely disenchanted with its fees and slow confirmation times. I predict Ripple is moving up their schedule to go after some of these. 

1 hour ago, Jackdarippler said:

@Hodor

I like so many things about this blog post and i believe you can make the most of it in one of your future blog post.

https://www.saveonsend.com/blog/bank-money-transfer/

That is an incredibly well-documented blog post. 

Banks, as the class, will continue play a major role vis-a-vis remittances. While not viewing remittances as a strategic product that warrants a fight for a bigger market share, banks will always stay awake and invest just enough in their money transfer services to satisfy their customer needs and, in rare cases, to proactively target niche markets where they perceive a significant growth opportunity.

... I think if banks start losing their market share to others that can compete, and if this becomes a sticking point for some customers, I predict they will start to be more motivated.  Interesting perspective from somebody that obviously "did their own research!"

image.png.942dd645951f562c52cda573d6828ce2.png

These numbers are so good, that when I read them, I had to literally get up, step away from the computer and just have a “time out.”

I'm not sure I agree. The retail sales we have been told previously are programmatic and designed to not influence the market and are proportional to the volume traded on the exchanges (please correct me as I write this from memory and perhaps am mistaken), however the direct sales, are those that are to interested organisations that want to 'buy in' at trade rates.

Given the massive rise in activity of XRP during December, the rise is retail sales is completely predictable and not at all surprising.

However, the lack of rise in direct sales looks like terrible stagnation. If those numbers are carried forward, it means that at the end of January, 900+million of the escrow will be unsold and have to go back into the month 56 escrow. This would imply a very low takeup of xrp amongst the big players.

Am I reading this wrong?

Edited by jbjnr2
typo

20 minutes ago, aavkk said:

Sure, it was just yesterday that I was completely in the dark on this very issue.  This should help.  Also, @Hodor I trust you noticed this huge development!

While I saw BitGo's news, I didn't connect it up with the language that Miguel used - now that you pointed it out, it seems to fit perfectly together. 

Thanks for that. :thank_you2::yess: