Alluvial

XLM market cap vs. XRP market cap

I see that the market cap of Stellar's Lumens is around 25% of XRP's.  

Am I missing something?  With all of the things Ripple has going for it (all of which I won't mention here), I would think a fair ratio to be 1/50, not 1/4.  

This is the same feeling I had as when IOTA passed XRP's market cap.  Doesn't make any sense.  

I think people get too caught up in worrying about Stellar. There's so much tribalism in the crypto space - it's like a war or something; like you've supplanted your favourite football team with XRP and Ripple; wearing XRP fan memorabilia and cheering the CEOs on or something!

People are going to hate me saying this, but in the battle XRP vs. XLM, XLM has completely pantsed XRP. I remember when the Stellar crowd used to believe that a 10:1 ratio of XRP: XLM was a target! How things change! I could see XLM overtaking XRP one day. It would be of no concern to me. I don't get into the tribalism that a lot of people do in crypto world.

I only wish I'd swapped out a portion of my XRPs for XLM! (Blasphemer, I know!)

@Alluvial

I know, it's hard to look at. Crypto's is such an irrational market.

We just gotta wait for some hardcore insitutional money to pour into Ripple soon.

XLM could be getting hyped due to Stripe announcement.

(Stellar investors might get the same sell-off Ripple had, if they confirm Stripe is not happening soon like the Coinbase hype announcement we had)

9 minutes ago, SamTheMan said:

@Alluvial

I know, it's hard to look at. Crypto's is such an irrational market.

We just gotta wait for some hardcore insitutional money to pour into Ripple soon.

XLM could be getting hyped due to Stripe announcement.

(Stellar investors might get the same sell-off Ripple had, if they confirm Stripe is not happening soon like the Coinbase hype announcement we had)

https://www.finextra.com/newsarticle/26323/stripe-backs-ripple-founders-latest-digital-currency-project

Noice.they do have an in with each other but if they don't announce soon it could easily be ripple.

Edited by Trusty86

18 minutes ago, Alluvial said:

Am I missing something?  With all of the things Ripple has going for it (all of which I won't mention here), I would think a fair ratio to be 1/50, not 1/4.  

This is the same feeling I had as when IOTA passed XRP's market cap.  Doesn't make any sense.  

Why the focus on Stellar?

There's no way someone could convince me that Ripple should be anything but #1 in market cap over all coins. Yet how is Bitcoin still so far ahead?

ETH cant even handle crypto kittens. Their leader just posted last month that he's going to leave if people dont stop acting like kids

Is BCH really going anywhere or just the latest fork to get several rounds of pump and dumps.

ADA has nothing but a white paper and an interesting idea.

Litecoin's founder just dumped all his coins

At least stellar has IBM and several other things going for it. Does that mean it should be 1/4 XRP? No, but the entire market seems very irrational

25 minutes ago, Trippy said:

I think people get too caught up in worrying about Stellar. There's so much tribalism in the crypto space - it's like a war or something; like you've supplanted your favourite football team with XRP and Ripple; wearing XRP fan memorabilia and cheering the CEOs on or something!

People are going to hate me saying this, but in the battle XRP vs. XLM, XLM has completely pantsed XRP. I remember when the Stellar crowd used to believe that a 10:1 ratio of XRP: XLM was a target! How things change! I could see XLM overtaking XRP one day. It would be of no concern to me. I don't get into the tribalism that a lot of people do in crypto world.

I think people are tribal about it because they go all-in on one project.  Well, that and millions of years of evolution ;)

Edited by eoma

29 minutes ago, bachmanity said:

Just something to talk about on a Friday afternoon -- noticing the strange anomaly.    Eventually, the market recognizes the real value, and at that time XRP will cruise to the #1 spot.  

1 hour ago, Alluvial said:

The common denominator of this equation? Jed.

Just saying.

25 minutes ago, Alluvial said:

Just something to talk about on a Friday afternoon -- noticing the strange anomaly.    Eventually, the market recognizes the real value, and at that time XRP will cruise to the #1 spot.  

57 minutes ago, bachmanity said:

There's no way someone could convince me that Ripple should be anything but #1 in market cap over all coins. Yet how is Bitcoin still so far ahead?

ETH cant even handle crypto kittens. Their leader just posted last month that he's going to leave if people dont stop acting like kids

Is BCH really going anywhere or just the latest fork to get several rounds of pump and dumps.

ADA has nothing but a white paper and an interesting idea.

Litecoin's founder just dumped all his coins

At least stellar has IBM and several other things going for it. Does that mean it should be 1/4 XRP? No, but the entire market seems very irrational

1 hour ago, Alluvial said:

This reminds of a scene in Pirates of Silicon Valley.  At the rate that everything is going, Jed is going to be Bill Gates in this scene and Brad will be Steve Jobs.  Especially at the end.

I hope you all can see the humor in this.  This is not an endorsement on my part for Stellar.  I just think it's all humorous.  In the end, I think Ripple is planting the seeds for xRapid and xCurrent to win this race.

1 hour ago, Trippy said:

I think I understand why XLM has a better standing in the eyes of the die-hard, no banks crypto crowd. And I agree with you that on market cap alone, XLM has made bounds that are unprecedented.

It does bother me though that XLM is doing so well when they don't have the same adoption that XRP has. I can't really explain this to myself other than the crypto market as a whole is irrationally pouring money into cryptos with not much use case. You're right, they have "pantsed" XRP... But why? What's driving that?

I'm not saying XLM has no use case (it is one of the few, along with XRP, that I think does have a use case long-term and will probably succeed in the long-run); it's just odd to me how XLM is so highly valued with not much *current* use (but definitely the potential for future real-world use) compared to XRP, which is being piloted with remittance services and FIs right now.

Do you have any insight on this? I'm just honestly baffled by how highly some cryptos are valued compared to others (i.e. the market cap ratio of XLM to XRP).

Is it simply the sentiment towards XRP being affiliated with the banks in a highly speculative market?