XRP - Concerns about partnerships and competition

gavblizzard

27 minutes ago, flanman said:

Some people don't realize it's a journalist's job to be sceptical.

Agree but its also their job to be objective, unbiased and present facts, and not to use sources that cant be quoted or substantiated. Unfortunate that we now live in a world where hype and sensationalism sell copy which in turn sell advertising. 

47 minutes ago, flanman said:

Some people don't realize it's a journalist's job to be sceptical.

Ripple is attempting to make XRP a global reserve currency, which would give them the financial power of a nation state. 

Power like that has never been ceded without a war, let alone doubt.

Just curious... How would they have the power of a nation state if xrp became a global reserve?

11 minutes ago, SomeGuyXRP said:

Friends, the bigger we get the bigger the FUD gets. This is only going to get worse as Ripple becomes more and more of a threat to the current correspondence banking system. The really big banks stand to lose a lot from the disruptive qualities of XRP

I been following Tesla for years, back when they only had the roadster and a plan for the model S. Everyone laughed at the idea that they  could disrupt the big 3. Despite incredible progress over the years, the FUD campaign against Tesla persists.

https://electrek.co/2018/01/25/tesla-tsla-shares-fall-cnbc-model-3-delays-quality/

There auto industry is also panicked about the disruptive qualities of Tesla. So much so that they're getting to play catch up with their own electric cars(sounds like banks trying to make their own coin..)

If the product is worth it, it will outlive this campaign. HODL!

I second that.

Except that I do not think that the auto industry's interest in electric vehicles is driven by the popularity of Tesla. Almost all big companies did experiment with electric vehicles, but battery technology, more and more efficient combustion engines and market sentiment did not make electric mobility a viable option. Also, they have huge experience and investment in combustion engine tech, but not so in electric motors and battery tech. However, everything is changing. We now have better, higher capacity batteries, people start to believe in global warming, so they turn towards "greener" technologies, and also the regulation about emission the automotive OEMs must comply with are getting tougher. All of these changes prompt(ed) OEMs to put more efforts into electric vehicle development.

Nevertheless, it took a visionary like Elon Musk to build up a company like Tesla that concentrates only on electric vehicles. But mind you, he took a huge risk by investing in Tesla. At the end (or should I say moment), it seems he was right, and it took off.

I think Ripple is similar in regard that it needed/needs visionaries who create(d) the technology and also who first adopt it. I do not know banks at all, but they do not strike me as the cradle of visionaries. They seem to play a safe game and I guess they will not change anything unless it is absolutely necessary. Especially big banks, who are the beneficiaries of the current system. The business is good as it is, there is no need for visionaries.

Yet, the losers of the current setup, the small(er) banks will need visionaries. Not only that, but people who have giant balls to go against the established technologies and push a new tech trough their own system. 

I had my doubts about Ripple, but when I read that SBI pulled together a consortium of Japanese banks who wished to utilize crypto, it was a turning point for me. Japanese businessmen are not a risk taking bunch, so if I put together Japanese top managers and banks in my mind the image is as conservative as it gets. The fact that the CEO of SBI said that they are all in in XRP convinced me that Ripple/XRP will actually be the standard. And this guy will go down in the Japanese economic history as a visionary, for sure.

So it seems visionaries/early adopters say that this is a disruptive technology and XRP will be the standard, the people with lower imagination capacity or who have different agenda or just simply concentrating too much on the present will continue to say that XRP is not necessary to benefit from Ripple's technology. The people in the first group normally do not give a damn about what the people in the second group say, because they are already convinced. So why do we?

(I tend to try to cram too much thoughts into my writings up to a point where they do not make sense. I hope you get my point, though.)

14 minutes ago, Rob_long said:

Just curious... How would they have the power of a nation state if xrp became a global reserve?

If XRP becomes the standard for international transactions the US dollar will lose its power as a global reserve currency and all the benefits that come with it - Increased transactions and higher liquidity. This is a tall order

6 minutes ago, gavblizzard said:

If XRP becomes the standard for international transactions the US dollar will lose its power as a global reserve currency and all the benefits that come with it - Increased transactions and higher liquidity. This is a tall order

This may be true. But Ripple will not own majority of XRPs by then, they will not be able to "print" XRP or effect the price in any way, as it will be solely market driven.

38 minutes ago, gavblizzard said:

Yes but if the decentralisation strategy they have put forward is carried out. Xrp as global standard would not give the company the power of a nation state. Just hoping for some evidence of how that opinion was reached.

On 1/25/2018 at 10:56 PM, gavblizzard said:

Cuallix was one of the Xrapid partnership touted by Ripple and this company has only done 10-15 transactions since October!

This is disturbing.

With VISA going live with B2B connect in a few months all I can say is good luck!

Right now I can check off 2 of the main reasons start-ups (Or XRP specifically in this case) fail.  There is no market for their product or they get outcompeted

Visa doesn't settle

On 1/26/2018 at 1:56 AM, gavblizzard said:

Cuallix was one of the Xrapid partnership touted by Ripple and this company has only done 10-15 transactions since October!

This is disturbing.

With VISA going live with B2B connect in a few months all I can say is good luck!

Right now I can check off 2 of the main reasons start-ups (Or XRP specifically in this case) fail.  There is no market for their product or they get outcompeted

why do you think only 1 company can exist in this space? is apple the only computer company, is ford the only car company?

On 1/26/2018 at 12:59 AM, gavblizzard said:

Why has the title of my post been changed?

Does this forum not allow freedom of expression? Or the only topics allowed here are "XRP to the moon",  "XRP to $1000" ?

I always wondered why I could never find certain threads on this board

The title of your post was changed to match the content of your post. Your original title fell under the category of "trolling." It was a hyperbolic prediction on the future demise of XRP with essential no content in the post to justify such an extreme position. It was clearly titled as it was to incite a negative reaction: trolling.

Negative opinions of XRP are and have always been permitted on this forum. I would say they are even encouraged if they are politely articulated and well thought out. Facts, whether negative or positive are also permitted. While it can be difficult and subjective to judge, trolling is not permitted.

The topics of the nature "to the moon" "xrp eleventy billion dollars" "lambo lambo lambo" are permitted in the speculation club section of this forum. However, even in the speculation club it is encouraged to not be outrageous, but rather use well reasoned facts opinions and logic to try to get a picture of what the price of xrp could be in the future, or what factors might influence it. 

Unfortunately this thread was off to an inauspicious start, and has run its course degenerating in hostility and insults. I would encourage you to start a new thread with an appropriate title and lay out your argument on why the challenges XRP faces are so great that it cannot succeed, so it can be discussed with level heads. I look forward to reading it. Thanks.

Thread locked.