Jump to content
BlueCollarHedgeFund

Ripple sold $91.6 million of its digital currency XRP last quarter, as the price surged almost 30,000%

Recommended Posts

And this is good news. 1) shows everyone they aren't trying to "dump" 1 billion coins on the markets, even in a month. 2) Ripple now has a lot more money to continue building the company out and push toward xRapid adoption. 3) They would not have been able to make the institutional sales unless they could show those institutions that XRP would be valuable and useful to them in the future, and then those institutions accepting what they've been shown as true.

All very good things for Ripple...and XRP!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, buckor said:

And this is good news. 1) shows everyone they aren't trying to "dump" 1 billion coins on the markets, even in a month. 2) Ripple now has a lot more money to continue building the company out and push toward xRapid adoption. 3) They would not have been able to make the institutional sales unless they could show those institutions that XRP would be valuable and useful to them in the future, and then those institutions accepting what they've been shown as true.

All very good things for Ripple...and XRP!

Agree with you @buckor, I just wanted to add to your point 1 the fact that the first escrow release took place in January 18, so not in Q4/17.

So we'll have to wait for the next quarterly report to see what is happening to the XRP released from escrow. Or look at the ledger and try to find out, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Agree with you [mention=10253]buckor[/mention], I just wanted to add to your point 1 the fact that the first escrow release took place in January 18, so not in Q4/17.
So we'll have to wait for the next quarterly report to see what is happening to the XRP released from escrow. Or look at the ledger and try to find out, of course.
Absolutely....i am definitely not implying that the escrowed funds have anything to do with previous sales...that said, $90 million worth of sales last quarter is a lot different than $1.3 billion today, if all 1 billion escrowed coins are sold each month at today's prices...

I am just trying to point out that if history keeps repeating itself Ripple will continue to have XRP to go back into escrow every month....therefore, concerns about dumping on the market are unfounded.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ripple have stated many times they don't intend to sell the maximum amount of XRP, only what they need to. 

And since the price of XRP is as high as it is, they need to sell it increasingly less.

They also want to keep up a healthy XRP market, so I would assume they give institutional investors two choises: 

1. Buy XRP directly from Ripple for VERY strict selling limits. (Ripple are in no need to sell to every institutional investor there is. They could sell their XRP just as easily to the public. ) 

2. Tell them to go to the public markets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JoelKatz said:

I think another interesting point is the ratio of sales off market to sales on open markets. You can argue the pluses and minuses of both, but having the actual numbers helps to put those arguments in context.

@JoelKatz I can't really explain this for myself in simple terms : "Ripple sold $71.5 million of XRP through programmatic sales and $20.1 million directly to investors."

Could you please explain this further? 

Edited by DutchBeetle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JoelKatz said:

I think another interesting point is the ratio of sales off market to sales on open markets. You can argue the pluses and minuses of both, but having the actual numbers helps to put those arguments in context.

Many FUDders see small XRP II sales as a negative thing, as in 'lack of demand'. 

I as an optimist see it as confidence of Ripple to make strict rules for OTC sales as pointed out in my previous post. 

Could also have something to do with the high volatility in Dec as investors are scared to jump in with FOMO. 

I would like to know how many investors Ripple turns away to the public markets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DutchBeetle said:

@JoelKatz I can't really explain this for myself in simple terms : "Ripple sold $71.5 million of XRP through programmatic sales and $20.1 million directly to investors."

Could you please explain this further? 

Programmatic sales happen via exchanges and on XRPL. Sales to investors mean investors pay Ripple directly and Ripple transfers XRP from a Ripple-managed wallet to a wallet under the control/ownership of the investor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cmbartley said:

Programmatic sales happen via exchanges and on XRPL. Sales to investors mean investors pay Ripple directly and Ripple transfers XRP from a Ripple-managed wallet to a wallet under the control/ownership of the investor.

Thanks! 

But does the term "Programmatic" imply that this was more or less pre-determined, or against pre-determined rules? Whereas the 'direct sales' are based on the amount Ripple was willing to sell to 'new kids on the block' in this specific period? Again, I'm more or less undereducated at this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think another interesting point is the ratio of sales off market to sales on open markets. You can argue the pluses and minuses of both, but having the actual numbers helps to put those arguments in context.
Exactly...$20 million vs $70 million...the off market sales to those willing to take the various restrictions along with those sales is truly telling. Again, those buying off market trust what Ripple has told them regarding adoption and use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DutchBeetle said:

Thanks! 

But does the term "Programmatic" imply that this was more or less pre-determined, or against pre-determined rules? Whereas the 'direct sales' are based on the amount Ripple was willing to sell to 'new kids on the block' in this specific period? Again, I'm more or less undereducated at this!

Programmatic literally means that they're made by a program. Ripple employs third party market makers to execute these XRP sales to ensure that we can't control the timing or volume to manipulate the markets or benefit from inside information and also to ensure that Ripple insiders (including me) can't use intimate knowledge of the sales strategy to their own advantage. These are professional market makers who understand that we don't want to kill rallies or engineer the price but want to sell with minimal impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JoelKatz said:

Programmatic literally means that they're made by a program. Ripple employs third party market makers to execute these XRP sales to ensure that we can't control the timing or volume to manipulate the markets and to ensure that Ripple insiders can't use intimate knowledge of the sales strategy to their own advantage. These are professional market makers who understand that we don't want to kill rallies or engineer the price but want to sell with minimal impact.

Thanks, I really appreciate these explanations! 

An answer from the Maestro.. that checks one off my bucketlist...

Edited by DutchBeetle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JoelKatz said:

Programmatic sales are made by market making on open markets. They don't include a lockup and Ripple has almost no control over who gets the XRP. They effectively become part of the open market.

With the Billions of dollars your Company is sitting on.  Has Ripple thought about Acquiring or buying a smaller border to border money transfer company to further refine and develop the Ripple software?

Also, has or will Ripple develop proprietary intellectual property to add more value to the company?

Edited by Coinzee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×