Hodor

Forget Bitcoin (BTC), Here’s Why Ripple (XRP) Looks Ready to Explode

7 minutes ago, Hodor said:

And new participants (like market-bees attracted to the hype in my altcoin analogy here) are swarming with hive-minded excitement, ready for the sweet digital-honey of potential gains to pour into their waxy, hexagonal shaped wallets.

OMG - purple prose in the financial world is always a howler.

8 minutes ago, Hodor said:

Nice one, catchy lines also!

I just read one about why Bitcoin's lightning might also not make it. 

https://www.coindesk.com/lightning-network-may-not-solve-bitcoins-scaling-trilemma/

I consider it to be well written, but as I'm still researching that and comparing it to Ripple's additional liquidity concepts. Therefor the question to @Hodor or @JoelKatz and @nikb: how do her critical points compare to the functionalities of the XRP ledger? Is  the problem / solution similar or would this be the moment to take lightning's momentum to put it publicly in perspective to Ripple's solutions? For many people it will be hard to explain it to maybe, let alone to translate those into catchy twitter lines. But let's start with the first? 

Thanks Guru!

Interesting article, I think we're beginning to see a change in the reporting from the media regarding XRP/Ripple. Until lately, lazy journalists would simply parrot what they read on alt coin sites and blogs, mostly negative FUD regarding XRP; the usual "Centralized", "100 billion", "not blockchain" bull spit.

As media begins to look deeper and actually investigate they are beginning to see the writing on the wall regarding BTC and other tokens. Government regulation, transaction speed and fees, coming decentralization for XRP when understood all bode well for XRP and portend bad things for the king BTC.

Journalists are very much ruled by groupthink; as soon as it becomes vogue, they will all jump on the bandwagon and trumpet the benefits and superiority of XRP/Ripple, then things will get "real" really fast.

Thanks for posting Hodor, waiting anxiously for your next blog post!

Sri

7 hours ago, Exarpee said:

Hodor, what are thoughts on Chris and Stefan's investment in Omni? If worth z thread, pls post. Thanks.

Thanks for the softball, @Exarpee

I think Omni could be very big.  While there are currently multiple players in the "sharing app" space for household items, the best devs and companies will make a difference.  And we know that Ripple and its Silicon Valley brethren are on the top of that list. 

Competition for Omni

Omni will have competition from various apps.  One is http://lendoutapp.com/

More are covered here (dated article from 2014, but you get the picture):  https://www.goodnet.org/articles/5-cool-websites-for-sharing-things-your-neighbors-list

Omni's Competitive Advantage(s)

• Smooth international execution. 
  • Fast and immediate payments, even across borders.
  • Massive capital investment and support.

Note:  I'm assuming some of the above points - I have no sources yet, but I'd bet money that those will be its competitive advantages. 

When I heard about the investment, there were two emotions battling within me:

• Jealousy (I wish I could invest some of my XRP in Omni)
  • Even more confidence in XRP (I didn't even think that was possible for me)

:D

Thanks @Hodor Appreciate the info and opinion as always. I think I'll watch from the sidelines on this for a bit. Hope to see a new road map on Omni's slack soon. XRP was a no-brainer for me. Omni feels of more risk and less reward. But with backing from Chris and Stefan I'm tempted mainly for FOMO.

On another note - perhaps less softball now... Enjoyed your Cuallix article - a good read for someone already converted (partly thanks to your input 9-12 months ago.) Thank you! However, I felt the article could have bern more balanced by addressing more regarding the immediate challenges ahead and the importance of how Ripple goes about tackling some of these. Perhaps this wasnt the aim of the article - fair enough, but I'm sure  sceptics who read it who would find a ' real challenges ahead' type section appeal to their inner zerper..

Three key areas here for me ( I'm sure there are plenty but haven't seen these discussed roundly elsewhere) are;

1. Industry understanding. Is enough being done for the broader industry and moreover - industry commentators to really understand Ripple the business and XRP the currency? You and ofcourse JoelKatz seem to be the main water-carriers on this.  Pure tech evangelists might argue 'who cares?' But for me it impacts point 2;

2. Price volatility. Okay few people investing/trading in the crypto space expect price stability. But one of XRP's  expected advantages was relative stabilty compared to others.  There are signifucant macro factors why we havent seen this the last two months - growth due to lock up and announcements (exaggerated by bouyant market as a whole) with a natural retracement excaserbated by market scares (coinmarketcap, Korean FUD (if I can call it that) and January jitters. But I havent seen these discussed clearly and coherently by anyone - maybe as it doesnt fit in a tweet? Clearly price volatility could be a big deterrant to the utilisation of XRP to achieve the cost saving potential outlined in your article? But how much of a detterent? What level of volatility would be sufficient and whats the impact on adopters?

3. Korean heavy. I loved seeing the XRP price climb at silly-o'clock GMT thanks to our friends holding WON. But is XRP's appeal overly reliant on one market which in turn impacts points 1 and 2 above? Again, if so, what can / is being done to tackle this?

My concern does not relate to incumbant crypto's being traded today, its more in the expectation of the competition thats going to hit us from banking sector competitors to be realeased this year - for whom XRP is treading a path.

Would love your thoughts here @Hodor or in a pm.

Thanks

Edited by Exarpee
Link to Hodor

3 hours ago, Exarpee said:

Clearly price volatility could be a big deterrant to the utilisation of XRP to achieve the cost saving potential outlined in your article? But how much of a detterent? What level of volatility would be sufficient and whats the impact on adopters?

#2 Price volatility. 

Volatility is not a concern for anybody using xCurrent; all fees and FX rates are known in advance of the the transaction. ( XRP can be used in xCurrent, but it is not required. )

The only volatility risk is for xRapid, as it requires the user to hold XRP, or otherwise acquire it during a transaction which may take a few seconds.  Even here, I think posters have a warped view of how much volatility risk there is if the bank or other institution decides not to carry XRP - they can purchase XRP dynamically in a transaction just as you or I can do currently, and then execute the other end of the transaction quickly. 

Volatility risk only comes with when a bank or FI decides to hold or own XRP in place of their Nostro account holdings. 

For those that chose to do this, they can use cryptofacilities or another service to hedge their risk, just as they do now with USD or other exotic currencies.  However, XRP is usually considered more volatile than these, and I'd need to have a ForEx trader or someobody from banking who's familiar with USD and other currency Nostro accounts to weigh in on this topic. 

#1 is being addressed by Ripple long-term by the Tom Channick hire.  It requires some time, but he's already put out this document:  https://ripple.com/insights/top-9-frequently-asked-questions-ripple-xrp/

#3 Has been discussed many times.  I see your account is new, so no worries - just google for the topic + XRP Chat and I'm sure you'll have plenty of articles to read.

These are all legit concerns that new investors in XRP might have;  it's important that we address them coherently as you say! :JC_thinking:

Edited by Hodor

Thanks for the detailed reply Hodor. Really usefull and will look back over Korean heavy point too. Its great to be able to ask these sorts of questions and get an informed response. All the best.