TokenBaby

Is a Ripple IPO Coming in 2018?

Ripple CEO Brad Garlinghouse has addressed the question of a Ripple IPO head-on. When asked in September 2017 on CNBC  what the pros and cons of a Ripple IPO would be, Garlinghouse said, "I want to make sure we have the right managerial maturity, infrastructure, and ability to forecast properly. ... At some point it will make sense. Just not today."

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/01/14/is-a-ripple-ipo-coming-in-2018.aspx

I wonder what this would mean for investors in XRP. It actually makes me a little nervous because traditional investors would be able to just buy ripple stock rather than XRP. Would this keep the price of XRP lower due to less speculation on the crypto-currency end of things? We wouldn't see such a mad rush into purchasing XRP to profit off of Ripples success from the common investor. If as an average joe, I could just go on E-Trade and buy some Ripple stock, why bother buying XRP? 

Please correct me if I'm wrong but personally I'd rather not see a Ripple IPO. I think it would hamper potential XRP speculative gains. 

1 hour ago, Byrd said:

Garlinghouse said, "I want to make sure we have the right managerial maturity, infrastructure, and ability to forecast properly. ... At some point it will make sense. Just not today."

Those conditions are not fullfilled yet and my guess is will not be, before the 55 billion are distributed; so not before 2024...

5 minutes ago, Live4xrp said:

Those conditions are not fullfilled yet and my guess is will not be, before the 55 billion are distributed; so not before 2024...

I hope that is the case. I might consider cashing out as soon as I hear news that it is definitely occuring. If that is around 2024, I'm hoping the price will be much higher by then and I'll be happy with my gains. We shall see how it shakes out but definitely something to keep an eye on

41 minutes ago, djn121 said:

I wonder if they would have some sort of incentive in place for XRP holders, maybe a 1:1 match for the IPO :clapping::shock::training1:

Because Ripple has been so considerate of xrp holders so far :spinlol:

i think launching an IPO when they have bags of xrp to fund the company would be seen as greedy and unecessary, also they'd give up so much control of the company... and why? they can keep it private, have no funding worries, and have people invest by buying xrp either OTC or on market

An IPO makes sense for reasons other than just raising money. They could sell a small percentage of the company to the public during the IPO and maintain a very similar ownership structure. The benefit being, it would greatly increase Ripple share liquidity.

I would guess this happens before Ripple distributes all of their XRP, which I don't even think will ever happen. (Miguel has previously discussed how he sees Ripple being a lender of XRP in the future). 

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/advantages-disadvantages-company-going-public/

30 minutes ago, zerpdigger said:

i think launching an IPO when they have bags of xrp to fund the company would be seen as greedy and unecessary, also they'd give up so much control of the company... and why? they can keep it private, have no funding worries, and have people invest by buying xrp either OTC or on market

I think you are right it makes no sense to even seek an IPO at this point when Ripple can make may more off of XRP to support the company.  IPO's are typically made to seek more capital and you may loose control of the company vision as now your board, etc will be picked by your stockholders.  "I don't think Ripple is at any point now where they need or would seek an IPO, when they can make just as much capital and then some with the sell of XRP.  Make no mistake Ripple is in it to see XRP go as high as it can but without the volatility  that we see in the overall Crypto market.  Ripple is in it for the long haul.

Edited by RikkiTikki

15 minutes ago, RikkiTikki said:

I think you are right it makes no sense to even seek an IPO at this point when Ripple can make may more off of XRP to support the company.  IPO's are typically made to seek more capital and you may loose control of the company vision as now your board, etc will be picked by your stockholders.  "I don't think Ripple is at any point now where they need or would seek an IPO, when they can make just as much capital and then some with the sell of XRP.  Make no mistake Ripple is in it to see XRP go as high as it can but without the volatility  that we see in the overall Crypto market.  Ripple is in it for the long haul.

right -- the corporate takeover mentality can ruin a company

also it would look very weak IMO, esp. with regards to their XRP market, which right now is heavily speculative and not use-case-driven

2 hours ago, Byrd said:

Ripple CEO Brad Garlinghouse has addressed the question of a Ripple IPO head-on. When asked in September 2017 on CNBC  what the pros and cons of a Ripple IPO would be, Garlinghouse said, "I want to make sure we have the right managerial maturity, infrastructure, and ability to forecast properly. ... At some point it will make sense. Just not today."

I don't have any sources, but I believe they will go public at some point.  Initially I thought they might be positing themselves to be purchased due to Ron Will's hiring; now I believe they brought him in to handle purchases of *other* companies. 

Ripple is too big to be purchased at this point I think.  But yes, an IPO would definitely be one possibility!

I see it just not rational at all. I think every single Hodler would dump they XRPs to buy all shares possible because we know Ripple will succeed as a Company. 

If they do it, it would mean to me something like, “Hey! XRP did not worked, banks did not want to use it but we still like your investments so there you go”. It does not makes sense to me at all, at least not in the next 5 years.

4 hours ago, Hodor said:

I don't have any sources, but I believe they will go public at some point.  Initially I thought they might be positing themselves to be purchased due to Ron Will's hiring; now I believe they brought him in to handle purchases of *other* companies. 

Ripple is too big to be purchased at this point I think.  But yes, an IPO would definitely be one possibility!

In your opinion @Hodor, would this be a good thing for us XRP investors? Do you think it would hurt the speculative value of XRP by giving people multiple avenues to invest in the success of Ripple the company? Might it take some attention away from their crypto-currency within the traditional investment world?

Edited by Guest