Sign in to follow this  
Alluvial

"Here's Why Bitcoin Should Be Terrified Of Ripple"

I like it.

However, there is something worth keeping in mind here. Bitcoin has proven its ability to scale over the years, while Ripple's claims are mostly unproven without a vast merchant network and just a handful of testing partners for its blockchain. In other words, it's unclear if Ripple can indeed expand its network and maintain these low transaction costs and quick settlement times once scaled.

Can anyone address this since I do have the same question

13 minutes ago, ReXRP said:

Bitcoin has proven its ability to scale over the years

Proven its ability to scale? Not.

The XRP ledger can sustain 1500 transactions per second. With payment channels it was measured at 70000 tps if I remember correctly. Adding more computing power should linearly increase the throughput, but I never read about tests that go above these numbers. Should not matter anyway. Lets just assume it is scalable enough.

19 minutes ago, ReXRP said:

I like it.

Can anyone address this since I do have the same question

The only way Bitcoin has proven its ability to scale so far is by the coin being forked. The fact that xrp cannot be forked is a huge benefit over Bitcoin. Any newbies currently buying into Bitcoin now have to decide on which version of Bitcoin they want to buy, with the risk that the choice they make might be the coin that fails. This is a huge deterrent for mainstream adoption. While the Lightning network, rsk, and schnoor signatures are all in the pipeline, they are all still a long way off. While Segwit has been live for the last few months, there has been very little adoption of it so far. Roger Ver and his cronies have destroyed what Bitcoin is meant to be, and the civil war will continue for a long long time. 

XRP avoids all of that, and to answer your question, yes xrp is scaleable, although I'm not to knowledgeable on the technical details of it. 

36 minutes ago, Niall said:

The only way Bitcoin has proven its ability to scale so far is by the coin being forked. The fact that xrp cannot be forked is a huge benefit over Bitcoin. Any newbies currently buying into Bitcoin now have to decide on which version of Bitcoin they want to buy, with the risk that the choice they make might be the coin that fails. This is a huge deterrent for mainstream adoption. While the Lightning network, rsk, and schnoor signatures are all in the pipeline, they are all still a long way off. While Segwit has been live for the last few months, there has been very little adoption of it so far. Roger Ver and his cronies have destroyed what Bitcoin is meant to be, and the civil war will continue for a long long time. 

XRP avoids all of that, and to answer your question, yes xrp is scaleable, although I'm not to knowledgeable on the technical details of it. 

Ripple can absolutely be forked.  

41 minutes ago, Niall said:

Yea, it's scaleable, but has it ever been tested at scale? And will we see a spike in fees like what happened a few months back when the system is under load?

15 minutes ago, ReXRP said:

Yea, it's scaleable, but has it ever been tested at scale? And will we see a spike in fees like what happened a few months back when the system is under load?

http://highscalability.com/blog/2017/10/2/ripple-the-most-demonstrably-scalable-blockchain.html

I think the fee issue was resolved. I don't know what happens when the network is congested. It depends on where the bottleneck is. When it is the application, it would make sense that there is some kind of queue / cache implemented. I did never dive so deep into the technicals, but it's a good question.

Some inaccuracies in that article but overall 7/10.

Bitcoin is not legal tender in Japan. You cannot pay your taxes with it. It is a legal asset, but so are XRP and other cryptos.

Wasn't there someone offering XRP futures - Cryptofacilities? Hasn't made much of a splash, it seems.

Bitcoin has scaled? Yeah, the main things that have scaled are the block times and astronomical transaction fees.

Sign in to follow this