workerX

Spectre / Meltdown

Just now, Khaleesi said:

You’ve lost me there.....

3 hours ago, Khaleesi said:

Take it up with Ledger France then...based on what you heard

https://www.ledger.fr/2018/01/04/meltdown-spectre-attacks-intel-amd-arm-risk/

Tell me this isn't a juvenile response.

By the way, I am somewhat visually impaired, so when I say "heard" it's not just rumour. I use audio aids when I'm "reading".

2 minutes ago, Trippy said:

Tell me this isn't a juvenile response.

By the way, I am somewhat visually impaired, so when I say "heard" it's not just rumour. I use audio aids when I'm "reading".

You could post some links then...that helps the discussion develop appropriately 

Just now, Khaleesi said:

You could post some links then...that helps the discussion develop appropriately 

So could you. Where are the Ledger France comments. Are we just meant to take his word for it? How are Ledger users not affected?

Basically you just dissed my original comments and expected that to be the end of the discussion.

1 minute ago, Trippy said:

So could you. Where are the Ledger France comments. Are we just meant to take his word for it? How are Ledger users not affected?

Basically you just dissed my original comments and expected that to be the end of the discussion.

Dear Trippy

I did put up a link for ledgers response to the issue...here it is again

https://www.ledger.fr/2018/01/04/meltdown-spectre-attacks-intel-amd-arm-risk/

OK, from the looks of it the Nano is safe from this. I'm still thinking there may be some issues when using Nano in conjunction with My Ether Wallet, but that's an indirect effect on the Nano. I still have to qualify my thoughts on this, so as of now I'm still not fully trusting of hardware wallet solutions. I only ever feel 100% safe when my coins are on a frozen dice wallet. But that's my opinion.

I don't understand why anybody with a significant amount of holdings is using a third party solution.

There's enough information out there to do it yourself, even at a lower cost than the nano s.

Why the heck do you trust an encryption somebody else set up, when you can have a true offline solution, which you fully control yourself and which NEEDS physical access to be hacked.

The Nano S can be hacked. Anything that is connected to any network can be.

And then pay $70 for a fancy USB Stick? Certainly not.

Just now, Khaleesi said:

Do you have  information that substantiates this claim?

My logic is simple: You plug it into a network-connected computer. Per definition this is risk exposure. Encrypt it as much as you want.

Sources:

and

@Xilobyte is the most security aware user on this blog and has created multiple tutorials on how to build secure systems.

Sorry, I do not trust third party, but my own offline solutions. My holdings have zero network exposure. Nothing can beat that.

10 minutes ago, teddybear said:

My logic is simple: You plug it into a network-connected computer. Per definition this is risk exposure. Encrypt it as much as you want.

There is nothing written in those links you provided that substantiates your claim that the nano can be hacked.