Coin_Hound

Kraken fiasco

I might know a thing or two about these types of things.  Here is my read looking at the situation from the outside:

1) They took the entire platform down.  The only reason you would ever do this would be if incremental and/or rolling updates were not possible given the state of the system.  If this is also true, then their system was either: a) overengineered (smart people coming up with too smart - ie not practical solutions), b ) was made up of complete spaghetti code on the back end, or c) was using too many off-the shelf systems (message buses etc) which are useful when trying to stand up something quickly, but can become a nightmare in the long run as their inner workings cannot be controlled and as such make them prone to becoming a hindrance to solution scaling.

2) The system is still down and they are still testing and finding issues.  This tells me that they did not perform a representative dry run including a complete regression test prior to the rollout.  This in turn points to insufficient preparation and may indicate talent shortage among their staff, management, or any outsourced vendors performing the work.

Of course, it is easy to judge from the sidelines.  However, if it were me in their shoes, dealing with the volumes they are dealing with, I would damn sure make certain that everything is golden beforehand, that the side system is up and ready, available in production, available for production testing, and then use a rolling offload of user base from one system to another.

That's just me though.

1 hour ago, nav said:

As much as I want to be frustrated at Kraken, as a web developer myself I can only imagine the pressure they are under right now. If you've ever been crunching code past a deadline, or up to a launch it is one of the most stress full situations you can be in. 

I honestly think worrying about our zerps being lost is a non issue. They already stated that "Funds are all secure". I wouldn't be surprised if a couple devs get fired for this though. Launches are never smooth, but clearly something was the catalysts for them to dig into their infrastructure, rewriting code, and retest that code to make sure everything goes smoothly. 

I'm sure the chances of them being hacked is low, but my concern would not really be any lost money or zerps, since I don't have any on Kraken anymore.

I'm more concerned about the highly detailed level of personal information I had to submit for tier 3 verification. Name, address, Social security number, bank account info, drivers license, personal contact info, hell they even have my picture for christ's sake. A hacker could obliterate my life with all of that data and now I'm supposed to feel confidant in Kraken's security when these clowns can't even update their own servers in a timely manner. What a joke.  

Edited by Coin_Hound

Kraken is a joke. Tried to get verified and their resolution to this was to tell me to create another account with a different username, email, and password. Doesn’t instill any confidence. Are they that effed up or understaffed thatbtheyre unable to take care of basic things?

1 hour ago, Coin_Hound said:

I'm sure the chances of them being hacked is low, but my concern would not really be any lost money or zerps, since I don't have any on Kraken anymore.

I'm more concerned about the highly detailed level of personal information I had to submit for tier 3 verification. Name, address, Social security number, bank account info, drivers license, personal contact info, hell they even have my picture for christ's sake. A hacker could obliterate my life with all of that data and now I'm supposed to feel confidant in Kraken's security when these clowns can't even update their own servers in a timely manner. What a joke.  

this is exactly the point^^ hope they keep all the information safe, kk meltdown, kk spectre....

Update - We are still working to track down an elusive bug which is holding up launch. This bug did not appear in our many weeks of testing and only emerged in the production environment. Unfortunately, it is not consistently reproducible and we cannot launch until this issue is resolved. To reiterate our earlier statement: stale (and possibly all) orders will be canceled, and liquidations will be paused before trading is resumed. We will be offering a substantial amount of free trading following resolution. 
Jan 12, 20:13 UTC

51 minutes ago, vsyc said:

Dreams, until management comes and says we release tomorrow!

But this one is just horrific:

overengineered (smart people coming up with too smart - ie not practical solutions)

Never seen that much controvertial in one sentence.

Not dreams my friend.  Management pulling the trigger on a release before it is ready is in itself a sign of dysfunction and points to lack of understanding across tiers of the organization and/or absence of vertical channels of communication.  Sadly, most software shops out there - and in my experience most organizations - are dysfunctional.  How do I know?  Been coding for close to 30 years and in executive management for nearly a decade.  It's all fixable, but common ground can only be found once people drop their egos, realize that no one person can ever see the whole picture, and that true success can only be found through mutual cooperation and respect (and by hiring the top talent).

14 minutes ago, 7strings said:

This bug did not appear in our many weeks of testing and only emerged in the production environment.

...in other words, the test environment did not fully approximate the production environment, meaning that pre-release test run was not representative.

Fail to prepare = prepare to fail.  Cheesy but always true.

At least my deposit has been credited to my account :popcorn1:

58 minutes ago, 7strings said:

Unfortunately, it is not consistently reproducible and we cannot launch until this issue is resolved

^^ Probably caused by a race condition.  I wouldn't hold my breath as figuring that one out could take a while....

Whew, this certainly caught my eye as my Kraken account is all I have - I just got a Nano Ledger S up and running tonight, only to discover Kraken down. Life is certainly a trip!  All I can do right now is smile and trust that they'll get everything all smoothed out here soon. They must be stressed to the max right now, I feel kinda bad for them actually.

I did some trading on the 30th, the day after the Big Bang, and there was definitely a bug in the server. The math posting on my orders, in my account and the amount left on my daily/monthly limit didn't add up. I stopped and put almost all zerps on my nano and I notified Kraken that their servers are failing simple math. Ultimately, the math managed to sort itself out but I initially thought it had been hacked with all the craziness of the day before. If they have to recreate the volume of a day like that before the bug surfaces... I would think that would be tricky to say the least. A few days down, will be far better than millions losing crypto...

11 hours ago, Wizann said:

A few days down, will be far better than millions losing crypto...

I second that. Kraken protects interests of its clients even if it means shutting down the server for 2 days in a row. Very good sign given it is obvious that many will leave the exchange after this decision.

Communication could have been better though.

11 hours ago, Wizann said:

I did some trading on the 30th, the day after the Big Bang, and there was definitely a bug in the server. The math posting on my orders, in my account and the amount left on my daily/monthly limit didn't add up. I stopped and put almost all zerps on my nano and I notified Kraken that their servers are failing simple math. Ultimately, the math managed to sort itself out but I initially thought it had been hacked with all the craziness of the day before. If they have to recreate the volume of a day like that before the bug surfaces... I would think that would be tricky to say the least. A few days down, will be far better than millions losing crypto...

This happened to me too - I made a quick trade, market order, it was partially completed, and somehow I ended up with 10XRP less than I was meant to get (happens), and -0.000100USD (shouldn't happen). I still have the negative USD amount. ?