Sukrim

Want to release 1 billion XRP? Here's how!

Yes, and it works that way because the ledger can't modify itself based on time - so someone must issue another transaction to release escrowed funds.

An EscrowAutoFinish bot would be nice indeed :)

37 minutes ago, mDuo13 said:

I'm mildly amused that, 4 days in, no one has released the escrow yet.

Me too, I wanted to do it but then thought it might be more interesting to let someone else have the honors. :)

27 minutes ago, warpaul said:

We won't freak out.

Just shout in the office "someone external just released our Escrow funds!", I'm sure at least some people will audibly gasp! ;)

27 minutes ago, mDuo13 said:

FTFYBot

Since anyone can finish anyways, it would be in the best interest of validators actually to run a FTFY and CTFY ("cancel that for you") bot - that one would also have caught the initial, wrong Escrow transactions. Reducing the RippleState by one leaf node is definitely worth the 10 drop fee... in fact such a bot shouldn't maybe even be necessary and rippled should just finish/cancel time based escrows by itself with a pseudo-transaction? It would be in its interest and there's no guarantee for anything after the time expired anyways.

15 minutes ago, EasterBunny said:

Challenge accepted? I have no background in CS or programming, but I did manage to get a stock server running so maybe there's hope. I really have no idea what I'm doing so I expect that someone will beat me to it.

Don't give up until you figure it out. If you can get a server running, you can do it!

So many questions... but since I don't know what I'm doing, I don't really know the right questions to ask, so I'll briefly explain what I've figured out. Helpful hints need to be ELI5 compliant.

I followed the basic instructions to setup a stock server, https://ripple.com/build/rippled-setup/ (Centos 7, gnome)

I can send 'rippled ping' I get an ip address returned of 127.0.0.1:5005 so I think this means I'm connected to rippled locally. I can see other validators on the network so that's cool.

I installed node.js and npm and rippled-lib. I couldn't figure out how to run a script.js file with code inside, but I can send it line by line on the terminal after typing in 'node'

i used https://ripple.com/build/rippleapi/#boilerplate and was able to get api.isConnected() to return true once, but I'm not sure how I did it, and I can't get it connected anymore.

I see that the boilerplate code uses a public server wss://s1.ripple.com. I try to replace that with my local one wss://127.0.0.1:5005, but that didn't seem to work either.

I generally understand that I should prepare, sign, and then submit the transactions. For prepare, I use the escrowed account number. For sign and submit I use mine.

Do I use the sequence number of the transaction that placed the funds in escrow initially? increment by 1? or use the accounts last sequence number incremented by 1? (10, 11 or 15)

https://xrpcharts.ripple.com/#/transactions/F1CFA020DB5DF2AF3E06D9E84B50EFAA2854D7269238C1F188BE007C9D2B5FB8

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use prepareEscrowCancellation or prepareEscrowExecution

return api.prepareEscrowCancellation(address, escrowCancellation).then(prepared =>
  {/* ... */});

^^^ I'm not really sure what i'm supposed to put inside the {}.

Take a look at the submit method here: https://ripple.com/build/rippled-apis/#submit

Basically you'd build the json command using the format provided by @Sukrim above.  You'd use your own account in the Account field.  You'd then use your own account secret in the rippled Submit command (command line version) as shown in the page above.

The reason that Sukrim advised you to build your own rippled server was so that you could submit your account's secret to the server, which is something you'd never do to a public server or a server you didn't trust.

2 minutes ago, MungerMore said:

how do we track whether sold to new client or put back into another escrow?

Subscribe to r9NpyVfLfUG8hatuCCHKzosyDtKnBdsEN3's transaction stream and look for EscrowCreate transactions.