BlueCollarHedgeFund

Parallels to 1998?

So I just can't shake the feeling that investing in xrp specifically and crypto in general is very much like investing in .com's in the late 90's. However, I was only 11 at the time so I can't really say whether this is a good comparison. Can anyone on the board convey what it was like back then? The hype, the FUD, the stocks that had no real business plan but took off anyway? The family members that were confused about what the internet was and had doubts it would amount to much at all?? Thanks for the stories!

It's very similar, except this time it seems retail got in first and institutions are playing catch-up.

Source: I've spoken to lots of old people.

I've also been thinking about this. I know the price is going up due to speculation, FOMO, waiting for xrp to hit coinbase, etc. and have no doubt they will increase price but sustained growth is what is really needed in the long run. How and if that will occur in the long run, let's see. Definitely looking forward to some partnership announcements this year. :)

Edited by bayarea510

Yes, this is very much like the dotcom bubble. And there will be a bust. Only a handful of coins and techs will remain standing. Having said that, I don't think we're even in the bubble yet, I think that's still to come.

DYOR and pick wisely. FWIW, I think Ripple is the next Amazon or Google. The only other time I've been this sure about an investment was when I bought a lithium miner in the mid-2000s. I trade, but I also invest. And I don't tend to trade my investments - on those I accumulate on dips. But there are lots of great trading coins at the moment. I'm using those to build up my stakes in my core crypto investment picks. Most of those trading coins will be gone in a few years, IMO.

crypto is revolutionary because it deals in a novel way with byzantine fault tolerance.first lesson in some information theory courses is that you can't achieve fault tolerance by means of a protocol. however crypto has shown that we can develop protocols that are almost completely fault tolerant.

the second revolutionary thing has to do with graph theory.

Ripple and ILP combine both these things in a way that has many potential uses.

Some people say that most investors don't understand that. They just see enormous coin gains from the pump-and-dump exchanges and have decided they can't afford to ignore it.

The clue is to look at the two underlying principles: byzantine fault tolerance / graph theory

Edited by Vader-DeWelt
removal of cliches

1 minute ago, Vader-DeWelt said:

crypto is revolutionary because it deals in a novel way with byzantine fault tolerance. lesson one in some information theory courses is that you can't achieve fault tolerance by means of a protocol. however crypto has shown that we can develop protocols that are almost completely fault tolerant.

the second revolutionary thing has to do with graph theory.

Ripple and ILP combine both these things in a way that has many potential uses.

Some people say that most investors don't understand that. They just see enormous coin gains from the pump-and-dump exchanges and have decided they can't afford to ignore it.

The clue is to look at the two underlying principles: byzantine fault tolerance / graph theory

Interesting, as I don't have a tech background, I have no understanding of these factors. At the moment, I'm approaching Ripple based on their product, team and potential market penetration. They all line up. Sure there will be competitors, even SWIFT are working on their own solution. But at minimum I think Ripple will gain a stable base across Asia. Add in the emirates and then consider slow adoption into Europe and the Americas. Future looks good.

8 minutes ago, OzAlphaWolf said:

Interesting, as I don't have a tech background, I have no understanding of these factors. At the moment, I'm approaching Ripple based on their product, team and potential market penetration. They all line up. Sure there will be competitors, even SWIFT are working on their own solution. But at minimum I think Ripple will gain a stable base across Asia. Add in the emirates and then consider slow adoption into Europe and the Americas. Future looks good.

If the Sheikh's in Emirates start investing in xrp instead of buying Bugattis it's to the moon! :lol:

But yeah I don't think the bubble will burst anytime soon. I feel like 2017 was just the beginning for cryptos. Even if xrp price drops, it'll probably reach a certain threshold and stabilize and fluctuate from there.

32 minutes ago, CartoonCrimes said:

It's very similar, except this time it seems retail got in first and institutions are playing catch-up.

"retail" not really. More like grassroots movement got in first. Next institutions.. finally the "public", as always the last to get in. We' ve got a few years for this to play out.

1 minute ago, benstr said:

"retail" not really. More like grassroots movement got in first. Next institutions.. finally the "public", as always the last to get in. We' ve got a few years for this to play out.

You playing semantics with me, friend?

giphy.gif.235986d7e0b1c310bb6de67a0712097a.gif