What in the hell is Tron?

Not an expert on it as well, thanks for this thread. Didn't read the whitepaper yet, so if someone could kinda explain it properly and summarized that would be amazing.

It got discussed a bit in our discussing group earlier this week as well and  I bought a little TRX.

Looking back on that it wasn't really smart to buy it without properly researching it myself and understanding it fully, so again thanks for the thread.

https://tron.network/en.html?from=1

Whitepaper:

https://dn-peiwo-web.qbox.me/Tron-Whitepaper-1031-V18-EN.pdf

This seems to be their big push...

"TRON’s open, decentralized platform and distributed storage technology will allow creators of digital content to cut out middlemen such as the Apple store and Google play store. Content producers will thus be able to obtain funds directly from consumers."

They're supposedly going to be able to do this with videogames as well, so creators get all the money instead of having to pay off third parties to list their games.

It's cheap enough I bought some just to see what happens.  At .04.  Seems like they have some very smart people working there, like Ripple.  Hey if it goes up to a dollar it's a nice payday....who knows?

I think Tron will be huge. The gaming industry is HUGE, and guess what they are also exploring outside of that.

OH MY GOD, I just thought of the perfect analogy.

It's very similar those airplane miles you get when you buy gas, but its available across games and platforms. If this is Justin's goal, he's a ******* genius, a coin available across Steam, Mobile Apps, etc.

Edited by Guest

Tron is at the very least. A great way to make some money. At .06 cents, perfect time to take a large position.  Hype alone is going to push the price up. Also, the creator seems legit. He's like Asia's Vitalik Buterin,  and if trx is even a fraction of how successful eth was, then??????

Edited by BroCoin

6 hours ago, Newsmaker22 said:

"TRON’s open, decentralized platform and distributed storage technology will allow creators of digital content to cut out middlemen such as the Apple store and Google play store. Content producers will thus be able to obtain funds directly from consumers."

Assuming this is true, this could work for indie titles (but than again why if they are already independent), there is no way that Google, Apple, Disney (or any other big publisher and/or distributor) accepts this. It seems that this would override banks in some cases, not publishers fees. I believe same things is valid for game publishers.

Being in IT & media industry, I know how they operate and believe me no way they use this as payment method. There is no way someone would give access to distribution platform and let creator dictate the terms. Both Google and Apple will ban your app from store if they notice you have any payment method that does not comply with theirs terms (and cca 30% fees). There is a workaround for this (no in app purchases, you must use external method to monetize - but this opens another set of questions ). Disney et al.? Those guys are give you cease and desist just by thinking about something, let alone implementing something that they do not approve.

Most of them don't even accept local currencies, let alone some shady crypto.

IDK, maybe i'm missing something...

Things are not that simple as some devs think, these people are serious and not that stupid, world will not change overnight because of crypto - banks will survive, governments also (and if and when they fall, it will not be over crypto or any other software for that matter), atleast not while i'm still alive.

No comment regarding other features :)

had a look , a not for profit group . how many of white paper crypto you see that say they are not for profit . sure none of them not for profit coins bull up the market and what it can do and sell of coins to make some huge amounts of money that never happens never ever ever never . just all good people working long hours for free . maybe i should contact the pope make one of them ST.Crypto 

51 minutes ago, kiklop said:

Assuming this is true, this could work for indie titles (but than again why if they are already independent), there is no way that Google, Apple, Disney (or any other big publisher and/or distributor) accepts this. It seems that this would override banks in some cases, not publishers fees. I believe same things is valid for game publishers.

Being in IT & media industry, I know how they operate and believe me no way they use this as payment method. There is no way someone would give access to distribution platform and let creator dictate the terms. Both Google and Apple will ban your app from store if they notice you have any payment method that does not comply with theirs terms (and cca 30% fees). There is a workaround for this (no in app purchases, you must use external method to monetize - but this opens another set of questions ). Disney et al.? Those guys are give you cease and desist just by thinking about something, let alone implementing something that they do not approve.

Most of them don't even accept local currencies, let alone some shady crypto.

IDK, maybe i'm missing something...

Things are not that simple as some devs think, these people are serious and not that stupid, world will not change overnight because of crypto - banks will survive, governments also (and if and when they fall, it will not be over crypto or any other software for that matter), atleast not while i'm still alive.

No comment regarding other features :)

I don't believe they would change the fact you can still buy games with cash, but within the games they currency will be one coin, which can be accessible across all partners.

Ex. Clash of Kings partners with TronLabs, and in the game you accumulate 100 TRX, that fund is available in the other TronLabs games, such as crypto doggies. The more partners you build, the bigger the demand are from the player base to access their coin on their favorite games. Its actually a brilliant strategy, but time will tell.

I think it works like above unless I'm missing something.

2 minutes ago, LittleXRP said:

Ex. Clash of Kings partners with TronLabs, and in the game you accumulate 100 TRX, that fund is available in the other TronLabs games, such as crypto doggies. The more partners you build, the bigger the demand are from the player base to access their coin on their favorite games. Its actually a brilliant strategy, but time will tell.

Sound good yes, but it is hard for me to believe that distributors will wave their fees just because someone uses crypto. Also, how is TRX awarded ingame? Who will buy it and then award it to gamers upon some milestone or something (sounds like infinite supply/inflation problem as well)? They will be, literally giving money away. Factor in standard crypto problems (volatility, fees) and UX problems and you have big mess.

If something can be exchanged for money later (and TRX can), it is a problem for them.

They will think of something or you're on your own and must find other channels of distribution that does not care.

Big players really don't care for you unless you have massive leverage over them.

Don't get me wrong, it all sounds nice, just speaking from experience (and playing devils advocate a bit :) )

5 hours ago, kiklop said:

Sound good yes, but it is hard for me to believe that distributors will wave their fees just because someone uses crypto. Also, how is TRX awarded ingame? Who will buy it and then award it to gamers upon some milestone or something (sounds like infinite supply/inflation problem as well)? They will be, literally giving money away. Factor in standard crypto problems (volatility, fees) and UX problems and you have big mess.

If something can be exchanged for money later (and TRX can), it is a problem for them.

They will think of something or you're on your own and must find other channels of distribution that does not care.

Big players really don't care for you unless you have massive leverage over them.

Don't get me wrong, it all sounds nice, just speaking from experience (and playing devils advocate a bit :) )

The partner must buy a certain number of TRX and they award their own players in game.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

So for the people that are aware of this one, how long are you looking to hold?   My brother got me into xrp (not that he knows anything regarding it) and then wanted to throw $1000 at trx.   He wants to sell now but with what they'll take for taxes I'm telling him to hold off.

I think your analysis is right, and I am looking for gains but do not expect this to reasonably moon.  I don't think this will be a direct competitor to Apple or Disney yet, but then, nobody thought YouTube would be either.  Adoption might be largely indie (maybe Steam or just games on steam), but the real value here, as far as I can see, is that it is primarily vested in Asian and esp Chinese markets, which I otherwise have little exposure to.  It leads me to take Sun's connection to Ma more seriously than I would, say, a Steve Jobs protege. So I envision the technology impacting Asian markets and apps first, with a bit easier approval from governments given the people involved.  How the token is put in to use in the west, I don't know.  It is a long term play that I would not get out of until after $1 at least, if possible.  

Of course my disclaimer is that this is not investment advice, just my thought process in purchasing.