yxxyun

TrustSetAuth Amendment, what's the usecase?

4 hours ago, yxxyun said:

https://ripple.com/build/amendments/#trustsetauth

I don't understand what is this doing?

The way I see, it is useful for those who use requireAuth flag in their issuing accounts, since it doesn't require a non-zero trustline in order to authorize a specific account.

Suppose you are the manager of an issuing account that requires authorization. It is cumbersome that you can only authorize a certain account to hold your balances AFTER they granted a trustline for your account, requiring a chronologically stiff sequence of events to be coordinated with the customer (pain, friction, give ups).

With this feature, you can authorize any account even before the trustlines are created, making it a much smoother process. Just tell me your account and I can authorize it, you create the trustline whenever you want (or need).

Maybe there are more use cases, but this one alone justifies this feature.

Edited by RafOlP

One reasons this matters is that only the cold wallet can set authorization. So the coordination is even more painful. You can't just create "set auth" transactions for everyone you might need them for and submit them when they do their part because the sequence numbers wouldn't be right.

I still think an issuing address authorizing trust lines is the biggest argument in favor of introducing keys with more fine-grained permissions. If you could have a regular key or SignerList that could do nothing other than authorize trust lines, you could keep that key online for authorizing a trust line (after, say, the counterparty completed an automated identity check) without having to worry that the issuing address's full functions are at risk. I mean, I guess it's still pretty bad if such a key got compromised since you can never un-authorize a trust line (although you could freeze it)...