Sign in to follow this  
Mpolnet

Kin - Digital Social Sharing Economy

@WrathofKahneman @JHoueye @Nash207 @sjmusic3

I found this podcast of the Kin CEO discussing Kin/Kik, the other day. The podcast is from this Tuesday so it's fairly recent. I found some things interesting and listening to this definitely helped me better understand Kin's potential ecosystem. 

Interested to see what you guys think.

https://medium.com/kinfoundation/ted-livingston-on-blockchain-innovation-podcast-1f6a4881a1a8

Edit: Kin needs to move over from Stellar to the Ripple blockchain :P

Edited by Mpolnet

Interesting listen.  Some initial impressions.

• I like his belief in a decentralized incentive system.  He sounds very much like an idealist who likes crypto's disruptive features.
  • I like that they created a separate foundation to manage Kin within the ecosystem - that separation is good.
  • It is still unclear to me the utility of Kin, if any, outside of Kik.  This to me is my primary concern, as the use-case of Kin depends entirely upon Kik adoption and growth.  I know it is big, but it's not Facebook big, nor does it have the same kind of large scale adoption in my mind.
  • Kik is still primarily an app for teenagers, and the use of Kin depends on their ability to monetize well.
  • There is a funny moment when he explains the large number of coins as necessary because a teen hosting a chat does not hold a chat worth dollars, so a few kin is enough.  I think this inadvertently makes the point about the concern over the number - there really needs to be a phenomenal number of transactions using Kin for their to be real value.  He mentions the transactions of the current Kik points so perhaps this is not unreasonable, but I am still skeptical.
  • Still concerned, as far as a coin goes, about how to cash out ultimately, so that you're not stuck spending it on Kin.
  • One interesting issue they didn't address - just how anonymous is Kik?  If Kin is anonymous, though centralized, the ability to trade a crypto anonymously not on an exchange, but within an anonymous service could potentially be very appealing.

Overall, I'm still not convinced of the Kin value long term.  It certainly will grow in the near future, but again, social media coins scare me in general so I'm a little chicken.  If it makes it to a convenient exchange I might buy.

On 2/3/2018 at 9:33 PM, WrathofKahneman said:
  • Still concerned, as far as a coin goes, about how to cash out ultimately, so that you're not stuck spending it on Kin.

Can’t you trade it back to something more common? Or what am I missing?

Sign in to follow this