Accept XRP payments on your website for free - Zapster.io

Uniphant

7 hours ago, Witnessed said:

Hi,

I'm launching a free service, Zapster, to help the community accept XRP as payment on their websites. I store no personal details about you and charge no setup or transaction fee. The aim is to try an reduce any friction you might have accepting XRP as a payment form.

I have a simple API that allows you to create transactions (associated to an account you've created). The "transaction" just holds details of what to check the XRP ledger for, for an incoming payment to your own wallet....

Image 81.png

@JoelKatz, in the Q&A of th 21st of december you asked the XRP community what we needed and how Ripple can help to improve adoption of Ripplenet and XRP. The quoted payment API by @Witnessed surely qualifies for this request and  full support by Ripple. Payment software of this type should be created for various major software languages (and devices) and be tested and endorsed by Ripple (including financial /security compliancy checks).

Software engineers from XRPchat should have  a direct communication channel with Ripple software engineers to scale their activities.

Another crucial step in the adoption/scaling of Ripplenet and XRP is the improved ‘pairing’ between XRP and other altcoins. This can be improved by creating a Ripple exchange which supports the major fiat currencies and which pairs XRP directly with the top 50 crypto coins. (It looks like Stellar is already building such an exchange.)

The direct XRP pairing with all other major cryptocoins would translate in the BTC coin not being needed for buying into other altcoins and as such setting an example/alternative for other exchanges.

if Ripple had such a system, users could also be persuaded (with interest payments) to lend Ripple their XRP for liquidity pool functionality and other usecases.

Thanks for the tag @Rabbit_Kick_Club, something like this is of definite interest.

Thanks for creating the service @Witnessed, I will have to delve into it a bit more but it looks interesting! Just curious, the service is offered for free- will there be upgraded merchant services, or technical services, etc. in the future to support the business? I would hate to see this go away and/or have support end if I was using this. Currently this is a issue with volunteer projects (understandably).

A quick browse seems the use has to define a price? Is there a way to link to say USD:XRP price for live conversions? That way if items are sold in USD they could be paid in XRP in real time regardless of market price. I figure a quick rledger pin for the user defined IOU (ex: Bitstamp) would be the easiest.

This would have some advantage if the price of XRP becomes more volatile the items for sale could be changing more than merchants would be comfortable with. Would require a few more fields though (ex: time out 'reserved price').

7 hours ago, Mercury said:

Thanks for the tag @Rabbit_Kick_Club, something like this is of definite interest.

Thanks for creating the service @Witnessed, I will have to delve into it a bit more but it looks interesting! Just curious, the service is offered for free- will there be upgraded merchant services, or technical services, etc. in the future to support the business? I would hate to see this go away and/or have support end if I was using this. Currently this is a issue with volunteer projects (understandably).

A quick browse seems the use has to define a price? Is there a way to link to say USD:XRP price for live conversions? That way if items are sold in USD they could be paid in XRP in real time regardless of market price. I figure a quick rledger pin for the user defined IOU (ex: Bitstamp) would be the easiest.

This would have some advantage if the price of XRP becomes more volatile the items for sale could be changing more than merchants would be comfortable with. Would require a few more fields though (ex: time out 'reserved price').

Some very valid points raised here.

I have an initial intention to try and sell some form of Merchandise through the site in order to cover the operational costs, though this is something I need discuss with Ripple first to understand the possibilities. Until such time the costs are being covered by myself personally to gauge if there's a requirement for this kind of service. Whilst I realise I could initially charge a fee for this, it could still flop and disappear - I'd much rather gain traction first and then introduce paid for features. I have road mapped some tiered offerings and FREE will become a FREEMIUM at some point (still FREE), with additional tiers offering some form of value add. I've made an upfront 12 month commitment on the domain & hosting and I'm quite happy to progress the feature set during that period as it gives me a long enough period to determine if this is a viable service I can afford to keep online.

It is true that the merchant currently defines the price of the transaction in XRP and the buyer fulfills at that price. I had steered away from conversions for simplicity due to the potential lack of pairings with XRP, but I'm always open to new features to make the service what it needs to be - so you've potentially identified a paid for feature :)

Really appreciate this input and feedback so far - please keep it coming :)

Matt

23 hours ago, Witnessed said:

Hi,

I'm launching a free service, Zapster, to help the community accept XRP as payment on their websites. I store no personal details about you and charge no setup or transaction fee. The aim is to try an reduce any friction you might have accepting XRP as a payment form.

I have a simple API that allows you to create transactions (associated to an account you've created). The "transaction" just holds details of what to check the XRP ledger for, for an incoming payment to your own wallet. Once the transaction is created you can pull in a unique url into an iframe on your site which will provide payment instructions for the user and monitor the ledger for the incoming payment. Once I've identified the transaction I notify your website through a redirection to a url you specify, passing through some encrypted data so you can verify and complete the checkout process on your site.

The payment instructions form that's hosted looks like the attachment - You can see a full demo here https://zapster.io/demo. The service is very MVP (minimum viable product) at the moment - if it gains traction then I will certainly add more features / rigorous validation etc. If you wish to raise feature requests you can do so on the bitbucket issues page - https://bitbucket.org/evolve-software/zapster/issues?&sort=-created_on

I would appreciate any feedback from the community, positive or otherwise as it'll all be taken constructively. Feel free to drop me a line - most forms of feedback on the site go straight to my slack channel and I'm pretty responsive (might not be for the next few days)

Happy Christmas :)

Matt

Image 81.png

Impressive. :sun_bespectacled:  I'll include in next blog!

Well this is very cool isn't it? Paired with toast wallet we've got a great community led payment system. Best part is that transactions are completely free*! I'll certainly look to add to some sites after Christmas. Thank you very much for doing this. 

*aside from miniscule transaction fee. 

I have a question.  If i wanted to start accepting XRP and Verge as payment, do I have to have an API set up?  Can't I just give someone the deposit address and they can just do it that way?  I don't want it integrated on my website so.  At least not now.  I do have it on my client contracts.  I'd imagine that would suffice for now right?

Yes - Your scenario is very much the same as me giving someone my ripple wallet address and watching my wallet for a payment to be made - no website required - You can do that right now without anyone's help :) . 

This is aimed at online checkout scenarios where the merchant website requires some form of conformation that a payment has been made, so the order can be progressed to the fulfillment stage automatically.

If you're still wanting some form of integration, perhaps you have some use case outside of the standard online shopping checkout, I'd be happy to discuss it with you if it helped.

Edited by Witnessed

16 minutes ago, Witnessed said:

Yes - Your scenario is very much the same as me giving someone my ripple wallet address and watching my wallet for a payment to be made - no website required - You can do that right now without anyone's help :) . 

This is aimed at online checkout scenarios where the merchant website requires some form of conformation that a payment has been made, so the order can be progressed to the fulfillment stage automatically.

If you're still wanting some form of integration, perhaps you have some use case outside of the standard online shopping checkout, I'd be happy to discuss it with you if it helped.

I'll eventually get there.  Getting my clients to pay me via crypto instead of cash is going to take a bit of convincing.  But, I'll get them to come around.  Eventually, I'd like to stay away from cash and credit all together and just accept crypto for my business.  I'm that ready to do it, but unfortunately, the consumer is not.  And when it comes to XRP, would I need to give my clients the dest tag? I know they need the deposit address. 

Edited by txferrari

So let's say I've done some work for you and I now want to invoice you and get you to pay me in XRP - I'll just email you my wallet address and you can pay me. This isn't a use case for Zapster as it stands because it's probably a lot easier for you to manage that as an individual, but you could certainly instruct them to put something unique in the destination tag such as a purchase order for example.

Hope that helps

No, I follow you.  One day, I'll integrate.  But in my cold wallet, they give me a dest tag for my XRP that looks like it's set.  Do they need that or just the deposit address?  It says.......

Destination Tag MUST be set to:  (Then they have a Dest tag here).  Wasn't sure if that is needed or not if someone decides to send me XRP as payment.

Yup. it's two step really.

First you are creating a transaction on the site - this is basically telling me your account id and the value for the transaction. I'll then give you back a transaction id. This is generally done by making a POST to our API each time you want to create a new transaction (i.e. someone is about to checkout on your ecommerce site)

It is this transaction id that is used to pull in the iframe - so this example is for a transaction that hasn't been confirmed on the XRP ledger - https://zapster.io/checkout/B4EC53AE-CC25-4D21-9A22-66ED933613FC

You can see this being pulled into the page here - https://zapster.io/documentation

Once someone makes a payment to the wallet address, for the specified amount using the pincode, then it will get seen by us within a few seconds and redirect back to your site.

This link has an example transaction that has completed on the ledger, so it'll load then redirect back to zapster (because it's configured for my account) - https://zapster.io/checkout/b8448705bbb345c0a2701d0cb28ed759

If this was against your account and the payment was made it would go back to your site (or whatever callback url you configured)

Let me know if you need any more help

Edited by Witnessed

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Are there any Wordpress / PHP developers who'd be interested in helping me out with a plugin for WooCommerce?

I've had a stab at it and have got maybe 80% of the way, but struggling with IPN.

Code is probably shocking, but would really appreciate any help here if I can get it.

Matt

Edited by Witnessed