In 2017, they’ve transformed into “Ripple 2.0”, and it seems clear to me now that they understand that they have two very different, but equally important audiences:  Bank customers and crypto customers.

I agree.  When I bought my first XRP in early August, Ripple was not at this stage.  For example, look at the SWELL countdown on Twitter.  Ripple seemed genuinely surprised three Tweets could drive so much interest in XRP.  Since then, Ripple's communication strategy with the community has only gotten a lot better.  They are up to ~300k Twitter followers which I think is one of the largest in the space.    

By the way, there is a minor typo in the 2nd paragraph.  

It servers to be nothing more than it ever was – a decentralized, no-counter-party risk virtual currency. 

Good post.  2018 should be interesting.

Edited by Sebastian

Amazing post as always @Hodor!

Just to be devils advocate, although Ripple has stated in their Q3 Report that new xRapid partnerships would be announced in Q4 (super exciting), those partnerships may not be the house hold names JoelKatz was alluding to. I do hope however that the new xRapid partnerships announced in Q4 are household names. 

Quote "

This attribution of the market share by function is an oversimplification, and it assumes that these three crypto-currencies are created equal.  They are not created equal.  Only one is run by a company of 200+ of the best and brightest in Silicon Valley and around the world. 24 Only one was been created by a company… period.  That’s XRP.  Any of the three can become the leader at being a store of value.  But XRP can now do smart contracts with Codius, and is looking to build out this functionality even further.25 While a distributed application involving kittens26 was enough to impair the Ethereum network, Ripple is taking the scalability and security of its smart contracts application – Codius – much more seriously.

Ripple – and XRP – is aiming to serve banks and financial institutions; it’s the only one of the top choices that is production-ready for global levels of transactions." Unquote

@Hodor Great summary! If I may add some important additional functions of Codius:

It is interesting to note the following about Codius (Peer-to-peer Hosting, Decentralized Apps and Smart Contracts):

- Codius runs at close to native speeds/extremely fast.

- Codius applications can pay each other using a built-in micro-payments system.

- State-of-the-art sandboxing means applications are isolated from the host and from each other.

- Codius is used by Ripple Labs for banking and enterprise integrations.

- Codius supports JavaScript which is used by millions of programmers.

Codius can talk to anything connected to the internet.

source:

Edited by cryptoxrp