jn_r

Creator of Bitcoin digital cash reveals identity

2 hours ago, jn_r said:

So on the one hand they were building on Ryan Fuggers' ideas, on the other hand they started building on a 'digital currency system' after Bitcoin came out. What is it that changed ripple(pay?) in to a 'digital currency system'? Where they inspired by Bitcoin?

I believe what changed ripplepay into a 'digital currency system' was the re-branding of ripplepay into Ripple with the release of "the new" but now redundant ripple.com client. I also believe that around this time there was an internal shift within Ripple Labs from building a network of Fiat Gateways into primarily on-boarding Financial Institutions.  The lag between the release of the Bitcoin whitepaper could have no doubt influenced the final product of Ripple within that two year period, and if the team was influenced by it, then for the all of the reasons I have already mentioned above in regard to how drastically Ripple differs from Bitcoin's system in terms of both technical and social (open source) governance are the reasons no dev in their right mind should be diving into the BTC community at this stage in the game.  The main point is that Bitcoin was doomed from the start due to a direct incentive for monetary gain for assisting progressing the ledger/block, with fiat currency as the measuring stick, and without support for the creation of social credit or in-network exchanges for those credits.  

Sorry for derailing this thread, I complain about that a lot on XRPchat, I know that I am being quite hypocritical by posting in this thread and changing the topic at hand.  I wanted to add to the discussion the facts that Bitcoin has a much, much shadier past than Ripple does then compare an contrast how the two systems size each other up.  Last,  I was mainly here to point out the absurdity of the attention that certain people can garner by essentially trolling niche sects of the FinTech industry, so I'd like to plead you all to please do real investigative journalism for real news to get onto CoinDesk and to not feed the trolls; I just see CW as a wolf in sheep's clothing as he decided he would rather back out of the spotlight now.

Edited by Twarden

2 hours ago, jn_r said:

I'm not that much acquainted with the history of Ripple. A far as I am concerned we should close this discussion, but maybe as a last item in this thread you can give your opinion if Ripple was inspired in any way by Bitcoin: I am only just getting this from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_(payment_protocol)#History, but so according to this webpage in 2004 Ryan Fugger developed RipplePay, after which Jed created eDonkey together with Arthur Britto and David Schwartz. Then in May 2011 they began developing a digital currency system and in 2012 Opencoin was founded, Chris Larsen joined and the Ripple protocol came to live. Somewhere in 2009 Bitcoin came to live, 2 years before 'Ripple' came to live.

So on the one hand they were building on Ryan Fuggers' ideas, on the other hand they started building on a 'digital currency system' after Bitcoin came out. What is it that changed ripple(pay?) in to a 'digital currency system'? Where they inspired by Bitcoin?

The wording of that Wikipedia article is a bit confusing, but it doesn't claim that Arthur Britto and David Schwartz were involved with eDonkey. Specifically, the article says:

This led to the conception of a new system by Jed McCaleb of eDonkey network, which was designed and built by Arthur Britto and David Schwartz.

Here's how I read this. My additions are in red:

This led to the conception of a new system by Jed McCaleb of eDonkey network fame, which was then designed and built by Arthur Britto and David Schwartz.

I wasn't around at the very, very beginning so take this with a grain of salt, but I believe that the original intent was to develop a system that would achieve consensus without using Nakamoto style proof of work or the massive amounts of electricity and "wasted" computations that proof of work requires.

On 5/2/2016 at 10:58 AM, jn_r said:

Creator of Bitcoin digital cash reveals identity

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36168863

Interesting info! I think, Satoshi Nakamoto can be an alias. Being a crypto user, I'm interested in learning things about cryptocurrency, its history, etc. So, thanks for sharing! By the way, I've recently found The Book Of Satoshi: The Collected Writings of Bitcoin Creator Satoshi Nakamoto https://cryptolinks.com/513/thebookofsatoshithecollectedwritingsofbitcoincreatorsatoshinakamoto and I'm going to read it. Has anyone already read it?

Edited by NikoleS

1 hour ago, NikoleS said:

Interesting info! I think, Satoshi Nakamoto can be an alias. Being a crypto user, I'm interested in learning things about cryptocurrency, its history, etc. So, thanks for sharing! By the way, I've recently found The Book Of Satoshi: The Collected Writings of Bitcoin Creator Satoshi Nakamoto and I'm going to read it. Has anyone already read it?

Wow, you digged up a really old post :) Well, Craig Wright is still controversial. At least we could say he lied in the video when he said he would never ever appear again on TV or other media..Turns out the guy is a narcist :beach: Here is (one of) his internet pages: https://craigwright.net/

On 10/23/2019 at 1:25 AM, jn_r said:

Wow, you digged up a really old post :) Well, Craig Wright is still controversial. At least we could say he lied in the video when he said he would never ever appear again on TV or other media..Turns out the guy is a narcist :beach: Here is (one of) his internet pages: https://craigwright.net/

Thanks for your response! I'll check the link for sure!