jn_r

Creator of Bitcoin digital cash reveals identity

1 minute ago, D-fault123 said:

So why hasn't he used a cryptographically signed message to prove he's Satoshi? There are very simple ways to prove he's Satoshi, instead of yapping around.

He did it ;)

Read the article...

So he's Nakamoto...a bit disappointing.

I read the page and it's somewhat unclear to me how the process he's following proves what he claims it does - perhaps I'm missing something obvious (it is 2AM and I haven't had any coffee for hours). I also read Gavin's post, and understand that he may be convinced, but I'm not in the habit of substituting other people's judgement for my own, especially when, in my opinion, something smells... 

As far as I'm concerned, to claim "I am Satoshi" the bar is set to:

1. Producing a message signed with a known Satoshi PGP key that includes the current date and time and publicize an upcoming transfer of a specified amount of BTC from a known Satoshi wallet to a fresh wallet;
  2. Submitting a transaction that successfully moves the previously specified amount of BTC from the "known" Satoshi wallet.

Wright hasn't done either of those two things, and for that reason I remain unconvinced.

True or not. It's all over the news as being true. The general public will believe what the interwebs tells them to believe. So for most people this is reality now.

1 hour ago, tulo said:

He did it ;)

Read the article...

So he's Nakamoto...a bit disappointing.

Whoever becomes discovered it wil always feel like disappointing. If it's true and proven it will take away the last halm of Bititcoins attractiveness as a currency..

59 minutes ago, nikb said:

I read the page and it's somewhat unclear to me how the process he's following proves what he claims it does - perhaps I'm missing something obvious (it is 2AM and I haven't had any coffee for hours). I also read Gavin's post, and understand that he may be convinced, but I'm not in the habit of substituting other people's judgement for my own, especially when, in my opinion, something smells... 

As far as I'm concerned, to claim "I am Satoshi" the bar is set to:

1. Producing a message signed with a known Satoshi PGP key that includes the current date and time and publicize an upcoming transfer of a specified amount of BTC from a known Satoshi wallet to a fresh wallet;
  2. Submitting a transaction that successfully moves the previously specified amount of BTC from the "known" Satoshi wallet.

Wright hasn't done either of those two things, and for that reason I remain unconvinced.

Best proofs are often unveiled by the flow of the money - just wait and see what Australian Tax Office has in mind :) 

I can't imagine anyone would announce themselves to be Satoshi unless they actually are. I mean, how long will it take before he suddenly disappears? Is he going to be partially held responsible for the criminal activities Bitcoin has been used for such as Silk Road? And what about tax? http://www.techinsider.io/police-raid-craig-wright-2015-12

My main toughts about it are pretty well described by Gavin Andresen:

We love to create heroes – but also seem to love hating them if they don’t live up to some unattainable ideal. It would be better if Satoshi Nakamoto was the codename for an NSA project, or an artificial intelligence sent from the future to advance our primitive money. He is not, he is an imperfect human being just like the rest of us. I hope he manages to mostly ignore the storm that his announcement will create, and keep doing what he loves– learning and research and innovating.

(http://gavinandresen.ninja/satoshi)

I have no reason (or the knowledge) to doubt Craig Wright is who he claims he is

Edited by jn_r

41 minutes ago, Michael Scott said:

I can't imagine anyone would announce themselves to be Satoshi unless they actually are. I mean, how long will it take before he suddenly disappears? Is he going to be partially held responsible for the criminal activities Bitcoin has been used for such as Silk Road? And what about tax? http://www.techinsider.io/police-raid-craig-wright-2015-12

I don't think the inventor of a technology should be processed for the bad usage of that technology.

Otherwise guns inventors should be in jail for 1000 years, same for internet inventors and weapons and many more.

Bitcoin is just a means, a tool...the illegal usage is a different story.

Different story for taxes purpose ;)

There has been interaction between Craig Wright and the Ripple community in the past.  I believe @tommytrain had a few back and forths with him on twitter.  I exchanged a few brief words with him.  This goes back before the government raided his house and all those tax fraud allegations were made.  My opinion was that he seemed to be a self interested d-bag.  He wasn't a fan of Ripple and only seemed interested in Bitcoin because his consulting company relied on it.

I trust Gavin on this one. Interesting however, is that Wright has publicly stated he's for bigger blocks. Said he had been succesfully testing 300Gb blocks or something, on his "supercomputer". This will be a big factor in the current civil blocksize war, in which a small clan of developers (hired by company that wants to push its own scaling solution) are holding the blocksize increase back. The reason I stepped out of bitcoin was because this diverting of the original plan. When Wright steps back in, and scaling is allowed "on chain", and, as he has claimed years ago, "we should not care about the size" (which i think is the right way to look at this "problem"), then bitcoin might actually get back on track, to a state where I actually think it has a chance of becoming the #1 world currency.

Mike Hearn's replacement just showed up! Craig Wright can now start to work on XT. Could you imagine Wright vs Blockstream in a civil war scenario, lel. Priceless. /grabs popcorn

Edited by anotherscott