Share your experiences with running rippled

mDuo13

On 24.4.2016 at 2:21 AM, T8493 said:

But rippled should release memory which contains stale data.  If rippled can do nothing except validating ledgers with 1GB RAM, then there is no reason why after some time it needs 2GB to perform the same task.

The operating system decides independently of programs what it swaps out and what not. Trying to outsmart kernel devs is usually not a very productive endeavour.

I agree that rippled could do caching a bit different in some areas, but by and large it might be much easier to just give it a bit more RAM to work with and run it on a non-virtual system than to optimize a Hyper-V deployment with tight hardware limits.

21 minutes ago, Sukrim said:

I agree that rippled could do caching a bit different in some areas, but by and large it might be much easier to just give it a bit more RAM to work with and run it on a non-virtual system than to optimize a Hyper-V deployment with tight hardware limits.

I'm trying to figure out how to easily install and deploy rippled instances (for development and testing purposes). All my physical linux machines use Ubuntu and compiling rippled on Ubuntu is not trivial (you can't run "sudo apt-get install rippled" and this is the reason why I switched to CentOS). On the other hand, I can't assign too much memory to VMs because then the host machine becomes unusable.

The operating system decides independently of programs what it swaps out and what not. Trying to outsmart kernel devs is usually not a very productive endeavour.

I'm not trying to do this. 

Edited by T8493

There was an initiative to create packages for various distros (Debian included) for rippled, unfortunately it didn't gain traction. I personally use an Arch Linux derivate and compiling rippled is a one-liner, so I don't really care much any more for Debian packages being created. If I were to deploy it in larger scale, I'd just use Docker instead of a full blown CentOS install or full virtualization.

2 minutes ago, Sukrim said:

There was an initiative to create packages for various distros (Debian included) for rippled, unfortunately it didn't gain traction. I personally use an Arch Linux derivate and compiling rippled is a one-liner, so I don't really care much any more for Debian packages being created. If I were to deploy it in larger scale, I'd just use Docker instead of a full blown CentOS install or full virtualization.

Are there any (officially supported) docker containers?

On 25/04/2016 at 5:58 AM, T8493 said:

Are there any (officially supported) docker containers?

I just wanted to drop into the thread again to say that I had a hell of a time with dependencies breaking on Ubuntu 14.04 when I heard the apt-get repo was going to be deprecated shortly;  Building from source was a pain using Ubuntu.  I strongly suggest that you use CentOS 6.7 or 7 to host rippled because there is an officially supported RPM package you can install with yum.  There are no officially supported docker containers that I know of.

2 hours ago, Sukrim said:

Not quite sure what the status of that is. It hasn't been maintained in a while. I'll try to add it to our "cool stuff we could do" list but I can't give an estimate on when it will get looked at. If anyone from the community  does look at it and gets it to work, then open a pull request and tag me on the PR.

It was disabled less than a month ago (https://github.com/ripple/rippled/commit/3a45ef0e65c42977ad45bfdfe4e723b070f0a202) in https://github.com/ripple/rippled/pull/1623 with no comment as to why Docker support is suddenly not wanted/needed any more. Probably it could still be re-enabled easily, though a full Docker compilation (the testnet one just imports the binary) might also be useful.

After spending thousands of my own XRP on bounties with near 0 result though, I have given up on making rippled easily available/accessible for now. Code that isn't tested will just start to rot, and most package files/build artifacts beyond "scons [release/debug.gcc/clang] && ./build/rippled -u" are unfortunately not tested at all and thus start to get stale.

4 hours ago, Sukrim said:

It was disabled less than a month ago (https://github.com/ripple/rippled/commit/3a45ef0e65c42977ad45bfdfe4e723b070f0a202) in https://github.com/ripple/rippled/pull/1623 with no comment as to why Docker support is suddenly not wanted/needed any more. Probably it could still be re-enabled easily, though a full Docker compilation (the testnet one just imports the binary) might also be useful.

After spending thousands of my own XRP on bounties with near 0 result though, I have given up on making rippled easily available/accessible for now. Code that isn't tested will just start to rot, and most package files/build artifacts beyond "scons [release/debug.gcc/clang] && ./build/rippled -u" are unfortunately not tested at all and thus start to get stale.

I, for one, wouldn't mind a working docker build of rippled. If that's something that people are interested in, I can look into it, although I wouldn't object if someone else stepped up and said they'd get it working and do a PR.

23 minutes ago, nikb said:

I, for one, wouldn't mind a working docker build of rippled. If that's something that people are interested in, I can look into it, although I wouldn't object if someone else stepped up and said they'd get it working and do a PR.

I might have a look at docker after I try compiling rippled on windows. So if anyone else is interested in running rippled in a docker cointainer, please let me know.

I'm able to run rippled on my VMs after I set up the following monit rule:

check system $HOST
  start program = "/usr/sbin/service rippled start"
  stop program = "/usr/sbin/service rippled stop"
  if swap > 200 MB for 10 cycles then alert
  if swap > 250 MB for 10 cycles then restart

It is not ideal, but it works for me for now.

Edited by T8493

• 4 years later...

We are launching our official Rippled Validator next week. Testing went well with platter drive and 6GB memory. However, the new memory 32GB and SSD drive upgrades will be finished May 12, 2020. The validation domain is ripplenode.io and is viewable.

As far as the server, it is a Dell Workstation I used to use for my business. Specifications:

Ubuntu v18.04 Bionic Beaver

Intel Xeon E-3 1200 i7

40 GB 1600MHz PC3L-12800 RAM

Crucial MX500 Internal SSD

NVIDIA QUADRO K600

180 Mbps Download Speed

24Mbps Upload Speed

Once launched, the Rippled Validator will run 24/7/365 - with battery backup. Question: Although I do bill this as a "dedicated" Rippled Validator, is there anything else that I can use the computer/website for? i.e. buying/selling XRP.

Thanks!

crypto-beginner.com - ripplnode.io

Why would you put a graphics card into a node dedicated to run a validator? Or do you want to run other software on there too? In that case, that's not a very secure practice, especially with a CPU that susceptible to Meltdown + Spectre. Also the specs are suspiciously consumer grade... do you run this from home?

ripplenode.io likely violates the copyright on "Ripple" that Ripple Labs Inc. holds exclusively, I wouldn't recommend to do any kind of business on that page until you have a written license for that directly from them.

On 4/27/2016 at 6:03 PM, nikb said:

Noob Q : What is "a docker" and what is it good for?

Edited by kanaas

1 hour ago, kanaas said:

Noob Q : What is "a docker" and what is it good for?

A technology that popularized a way to deploy and run software that's known as "containerization".